• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VW TDI

TFaoro

Hey guys does anyone on here have any experience with the VW TDI vehicles? 

I'm looking at getting a 2010+ TDI so I can drive between school and the business my brother and I bought, and I really like the TDI mileage potential. Aside from the emissions "scandal" (which is rather impressive :lol: ) are any of you aware of issues associated with these years? I'm also looking at getting a DSG automatic if that means anything. (BTW if you don't know what the DSG is you should look it up!)

Thanks!

The 2010+ with the 2.0 may become a novelty item as most are opting for the buy back option as my wife is currently in the paper work process of it now too. For what we paid for the car versus what VW is paying for the buyout they are paying a premium price with little depreciation for age and mileage, if they approve her buy back we will pocket around 5K figuring in the 1k they already paid out to all involved as the prelim customer smooth over once this all came about lol.

Never had a VW auto or DSG so no input there, last Jetta was an 03 we sold at just shy of 300K had a 5 speed and did nothing but basic maintenance in the 10 years we had it, kept it 100% stock and always averaged 45+-. Current car 2014 jetta has 60K and have not touched a thing on it other than doing complete emissions delete right after buying it and ecm retune has a 6 speed manual, stock never hit 40 mpg after deletes averages 45+ daily and on road trips 54-56 mpg with my wifes extremely heavy foot.

There are numerous TDI forums with tons of info, I frequent this one but there are others just as full of info. The VW forums have some of the most in depth technical info I have ever seen other than this site but they are way more detailed very impressive and sometimes overwhelms even myself at the amount and in depth info there is.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/

15 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

The 2010+ with the 2.0 may become a novelty item as most are opting for the buy back option as my wife is currently in the paper work process of it now too. For what we paid for the car versus what VW is paying for the buyout they are paying a premium price with little depreciation for age and mileage, if they approve her buy back we will pocket around 5K figuring in the 1k they already paid out to all involved as the prelim customer smooth over once this all came about lol.

Never had a VW auto or DSG so no input there, last Jetta was an 03 we sold at just shy of 300K had a 5 speed and did nothing but basic maintenance in the 10 years we had it, kept it 100% stock and always averaged 45+-. Current car 2014 jetta has 60K and have not touched a thing on it other than doing complete emissions delete right after buying it and ecm retune has a 6 speed manual, stock never hit 40 mpg after deletes averages 45+ daily and on road trips 54-56 mpg with my wifes extremely heavy foot.

There are numerous TDI forums with tons of info, I frequent this one but there are others just as full of info. The VW forums have some of the most in depth technical info I have ever seen other than this site but they are way more detailed very impressive and sometimes overwhelms even myself at the amount and in depth info there is.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/

Thanks @Wild and Free!

That's good information. I check into their forums as well. I've done a little bit of research and it looks like the "auto" is a pretty good transmission as long as you don't try and push a bunch of power through it. 

Do you know when your car will be bought back and if VW will be selling them right away? I really don't care about the emissions as I plan on deleting it when funds permit anyway

I think they are bound for the scrap heap once VW buys them back but not sure. They have not even came up with an approved emissions fix for those choosing to take a partial restitution payment for keeping the car and having the emissions update done.

As far as when I am not sure, wife just filed the new submission forms for the buy back option, thinking a few months from now after reading through a few dozen threads on it on the TDI forum since deciding to go the buy back route rather than partial payout, in order to get the partial payout one MUST do the emissions update repair before getting paid which would defeat the purpose of keeping the car.

She has been wanting something a bit bigger like a hatch back wagon or crossover SUV and possibly AWD even before finding this car, she hauls around more stuff in her car than most pickups on the road will ever see, I am amazed at how she fits it all in sometimes. She hauled 2 bull calves home in the trunk last spring, tied up their feet and had the fellows at the sales ring help her stuff em in lol. This is by far not the first for livestock in the trunk or even the back seat of her cars over the years.

She really likes the VW cars as do I they are bullet proof rigs but its up to her on the next one she has some time to shop, I just know there will be no more diesels in the future plans.

• Like 1

If you do find one this site is by far the best I have found for VW TDI performance and general repair items. Top notch customer service. I dealt with him quite a bit while doing my 2014 deletes.

http://www.fixmyvw.com/

3 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

When you say no more diesels in future plans, is it just vw or? ...

Our trucks going up in price soon?

If ever I replace my 05 cummins it will be with a gasser, I have no practical purpose going forward for a diesel anymore and do not want to deal with the ongoing expense of the new emissions systems. The new 6.4 Hemi in the Ram 2500 platform would be way more than enough for my needs. And no more VW diesels either the fact they do not offer them in the USA after this and with the emissions systems I just do not want to deal with the added headaches/expenses going forward.

Thanks again Bill. I want one simply for the mileage they get. When I'm out of college I'll be driving 100 miles each day until I can buy a place closer to work, so one of these cars would save me a bunch of money. 

• Like 1

If cab space is not a priority the older ones are awesome too and no deletes necessary. 1997 to 03 was a nice looking jetta we still miss it a little but 03 was the last year of the 1.9l ALH engine which was a bullet proof platform then in 04 they switched to the pump deuce fuel system which was their version of common rail I guess along with a bit different body style, with every newer body style they keep getting bigger in the jetta platform, if a large back seat area is important then look for a passat.

11 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

She hauled 2 bull calves home in the trunk last spring, tied up their feet and had the fellows at the sales ring help her stuff em in lol.

How are there no pictures of this? :lol3: Probably for the best that you haven't shared any, PETA would be screaming.  I once watched a guy load 3 piglets in the cab of his truck at an auction.  I can't imagine that mess.  Every time I have transported pigs, as soon as you start to move it has a laxative effect on them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

If cab space is not a priority the older ones are awesome too and no deletes necessary. 1997 to 03 was a nice looking jetta we still miss it a little but 03 was the last year of the 1.9l ALH engine which was a bullet proof platform then in 04 they switched to the pump deuce fuel system which was their version of common rail I guess along with a bit different body style, with every newer body style they keep getting bigger in the jetta platform, if a large back seat area is important then look for a passat.

Cab space isn't really a concern, but I'd like something newer with fairly low miles. 

I spoke with a dealership yesterday and they said they have an approved emissions fix for the 2015 model which implementation should begin soon. However, they can't seem to get a fix for the 09-14 models, so those will be bought back by the dealership and not resold. It sounds like it's going to be much harder to find one than I suspected. 

I did contact one of my old bosses who has a 12 (I think) and he's being paid 16K for the car and 6K in restitution. At those prices no one is going to sell theirs individually. I have found ONE in Colorado, but the owner is asking 17K for a 2012 with 70K miles on it. Seems crazy to me at that price. I may just end up going with the 2.0 turbo gas model. 

If you don't mind me asking @Wild and Free, how much did the deletes end up costing you? 

The 2015 was when they went to the SCR system with DEF so thats why they had a fix for those versus the pre SCR DPF only systems. For my deletes all said and done was in the neighborhood of 1100-1200. I think if one watches the TDI web sites one can find the parts a lot cheaper now if folks will be stripping stuff off that are going with the buybacks. Plus one can buy a programmer to do the reflash of the ecm now when i did mine one still had to send it in which was 600 bucks alone. I think to get a flash for the DSG reprogramming to go along with it adds quite a bit more to it yet.

Edited by Wild and Free

I have a 2012 Passat TDI SEL.  Been a great car.  It has the DSG tranny and I love it.  Very sporty if you want to drive it like stick shift.  Service is a bit spendy on the tranny.  You need to change the oil  every 40k miles and its a little touchy to do.  Has to be exact amount.  No more and no less.  It's about a $600 to 800 job at the dealer.  Oil for it (if you are going to try and do it yourself) is way north of $150 for the refill.

Lots of room in the car and I'm getting 42+ mpgs around town with my driving style and 47+ on the road.

But alas, as others are doing I'm, selling it back to VW.  It's worth far more money to me going back and I'm through dealing with the diesel emissions crap that EPA is requiring. 

With the pay out I've bought a new Sonata hybrid.  I have been getting over 50 mpg around town (where most of my driving is done) and the car is just as big as the Passat and has far more bells and whistles.  Been a fun car

VW is not offering anymore diesel cars in the US.  At least out through 2019, but I'm betting its never again in the US

I also have a 2001 Jetta TDI.  stick shift.  You couldn't pry this one out of my hands.  It's not as nice and cushy as the Passat but it has been very reliable.  Had it since new and I have it chipped.  Gets me 48 in town all day long and in the mid 50's on road trips.

• Like 1

Well, I gave up on looking for a TDI. There's just no way to buy a reasonably priced one with the buybacks happening. Instead, I bought a 2014 Passat TSI Wolfsburg edtion. Hopefully it'll be trouble free like the TDI's!

IMG_20170123_174128639_zpsnnxpojxo.jpg

• Like 3

I wonder if trump will change the situation with the epa to help it be more conducive for vw to return with their diesels or diesels in general as i even hear the eco diesel dodge has is been held up. 

Not trying to politically charge this thread or anything...

33 minutes ago, hex0rz said:

I wonder if trump will change the situation with the epa to help it be more conducive for vw to return with their diesels or diesels in general as i even hear the eco diesel dodge has is been held up. 

Not trying to politically charge this thread or anything...

It would be nice if something changed. From what I read, the diesel pickups are allowed to pollute more because they have a heavier weight rating or something like that. Cars have to be much cleaner for one reason or another. I guess they don't understand that 45mpg is less total pollution than a "cleaner" gas engine getting 20mpg. 

Edited by TFaoro
  • Like 1