• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

53 BLOCK Problem yes or no

I reacently found out my 99 cummins has a 53 block. It has 260k miles has an edge ez I believe. Bhaf, banks intake horn. Pusher hot side tube. Other than that it's stocks. My question is do you keep it or get rid of it. The truck runs great. Looking around on the block I didn't see any cracks or signs. I mean there was some oil from my vacuum pump and before I did the blow by mod but nothing that caught my eyes. I've read that if it doesn't crack by 100k your good. I've also read that wrong cold start and pulling heavy loads cracks it out. Talked to the guy who owned it before me he said he's never pulled light with it cattle, bales all gooseneck pulls. I've put a lot of time into this truck I've come attached to it. So I'm stuck in a rut I don't know what to do I was just getting ready for a nv4500 rebuild. I'm asking you guys if this is something serious or my paranoia is getting the best of me. Thanks for the input

317k on my 53 no issues treat her right love her tenderly and she won't let you down.  I'm a volunteer F.F./EMS as well as my regular job which finds this truck pulling 15-20k my 53 gets beat bad. the picture was my level of dedication to my 53 and 99 cummins :thumbup2:

20141203_193845.jpg

Edited by WiscoRedkneck
Typo
  • Like 3

On most forums you'll definitely get a lot of mix reviews on 53 block, but here people are pretty optimistic and most are knowledgeable. If you had it for a while and it's been fine this long, chances are it will be fine. If you like your truck keep driving it and if it does fail, buy another engine and put it in. Still cheaper then buying a used truck new to you and spending bunch of money to make it right. :2cents:

• Like 1

Most of the ones I have read about here and elsewhere over the years that failed happened early on in there lifespan. As long and as far as yours has made it you should be fine. Just treat her good like every says and she will treat you the same. There are a few other 53 block owners here that are still going strong.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, abner99 said:

Thank you I appreciate it. I take it not all 53s are a problem child then. 

Correct IMHO it's how you take care of them most failures were from hot rodding early or hard work early without warm up on a unbroken engine.  After 150k the failures seem to stop... I feel that the engine has finally broken in and everything seated and moves happily.  No fresh engine has seated rings beat her up early and you risk hot spots and stress points. I know of 4 farmers with 53s that use them as work trucks never a hiccup some have 400k and above on the motors

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies  this is a huge relieve. I figure I was gonna hear throw it away lol. Have you guys done any mods to your trucks with the 53 block. Like add horsepower or help cool or anything. I take it I shouldn't take my truck to 425 hp 

I have a 53 block also. At appx. 102961 miles, 1 morning it was -33c, truck was plugged in better part of 7-8 hrs.

Normal startup procedure, running 825 - 830 RPM's for 2 mins. or so before kicking into high idle (Smarty).

It started to ramp up nicely to 1225 - 1230 RPM's leveled off and bang, the 3 cylinder kicked in.

As soon as it kicked in, there was a ping noise, & low & behold , I got anti freeze leaking from behind my bottom turbo.

At first I thought head gasket until we pulled it into a garage. Got to looking around & all of a sudden there was a 2 minute silence.

About I inch toward rear of engine & the length of the top turbo flange toward front, there it was, about 4 inches long of a green oozing out the side of the block.

So anyway I have 121043 miles now & it still leaks, but in my favor. I built a block of JB weld appx.1 inch square & 2 inchs longer than the crack in the block. I left a 1/16 inch groove in the bottom of it about 1 inch from either end. I then tapped a 1/8" pipe thread at the front of it. Then I installed a threaded adapter with push in hose connection into it.

Then I JB welded  this block to the engine block over the crack & left it for 3 days.

Finally I installed a 1/4 inch nylon line to the manufactured block I made & ran it to the front of the bottom of the radiator so that the leaking anti freeze from block would run down hill all the way. Took a pop bottle & drilled hole in cap for the hose & sealed it.

So now every day before I start it, I take & empty the pop bottle of the leaked anti freeze, pour back into the puke tank & carry on like I have no cracked block.

I will say on really hot days in summer, it will sweat a bit from around the block I made, but the majority of anti freeze flows into the pop bottle up front.

& YES, I still beat the crap out of it. This is a 2000 with lots of mods!

Edited by jag
edit
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have a 53 Block as well have put almost 260K on mine without a problem.  My truck is mostly stock with no power modifications at all.  The key thing has already been talked about on this thread but I will repeat.  Treat the engine with care by doing regular periodic maintenance from engine oil changes to coolant service.  Also let the old girl warm up for a bit before you lay on the throttle. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes this is my block & no abner99, your not being mean. Scat happens. My biggest complaint was the mess it makes.

The 53k is a typo, I meant to make it #53.

As stated above 102961 miles is when it cracked. Not really looking for a replacement as the rebuild would outweigh the cost of a gallon of anti freeze.