• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Headlight options

• Owner

I'm starting to do my headlight research. I know there is all kinds of technology out there for lighting. I'm willing to jump forward to the HID lighting as long as its a DOT and SAE certified kit. I know I've got to replace my stock light the lens are fogging over and I know there are better headlight reflectors out there than stock. So my question is HID, sport headlight conversion with halogens, etc. Let's see some links, products, and reviews. 

I really like my sport housing with a brite box.  I have the plugs to make another box if you want them we can work something out.  

You cant run hi power bulbs in a sport with a brite box (high and lo on when high is selected) as too much heat is created.  They do almost as well as the projector lights in my wifes 4runner and look snazzy in the 2nd gen.

3 minutes ago, 01cummins4ever said:

I just purchased the sport headlight conversion from DAP, got the link from a previous post, you can't beet the price, and they are plug and play. Just received them couple days ago, I can't wait to install and try them.

Those are the ones ^^^^^^

I wouldn't try to polish.  You tend to just get into a loop where you end up polishing them over and over each time a litlte shorter between.  It does work, but new housings should be done.

as for getting DOT approved xenon lights you would need to use the Hella 90 mm HID kit, which puts out stupidly great light, buit at a price that is likely not appealing to Mike.  

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/products/auxiliary-lamps/modules/headlamp-modules/90mm-bi-halogen-headlamp-module/

Those do use an off the shelf bulb and will put pretty much any other light to shame, but again cost. 

I would do a relay kit and sports form DAP.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

I just installed the sport lights from DAP along with the harness with the relays.  My harness came with all of the plugs wired for 9004 bulbs.  I had to change the pinout on two of the connectors for the 9007 bulbs.  I did call them to make them aware of the error. I may replace the lamps that came with the housings Otherwise I am happy with the kit.

• Like 1

Yes I did use the DAP lights with harness, mine came wired the right way [I think]. I like them now that I have got them adjusted.

I just installed the sport lights from DAP along with the harness with the relays.  My harness came with all of the plugs wired for 9004 bulbs.  I had to change the pinout on two of the connectors for the 9007 bulbs.  I did call them to make them aware of the error. I may replace the lamps that came with the housings Otherwise I am happy with the kit.

Spike 48 how did you know that they were wired for 9004 lights? Mine came with 9007 and 9004 blubs.

The 9004 and 9007 bulbs have the same sockets but are pinned differently.  The way the 9007 bulb was wired put both elements in series when high beams were selected causing dim output.  Attached is a photo of the correct wiring scheme.  The 9007 high beam connector is on the left.

IMG_20170115_154113896.jpg

I have been thinking about trying to find some whiter not brighter 9007 bulbs for my headlights. I like the way my aftermarket lights look but the fitmint is garbage. I wish someone made a good one piece sport light and then I would order the Brite box from Geno's. But that would still put me back to square one with wanting a whiter not brighter light. 

12 hours ago, Spike48 said:

The 9004 and 9007 bulbs have the same sockets but are pinned differently.  The way the 9007 bulb was wired put both elements in series when high beams were selected causing dim output.  Attached is a photo of the correct wiring scheme.  The 9007 high beam connector is on the left.

IMG_20170115_154113896.jpg

I got a chance to install my sport headlight conversion from DAP, went out at night to try them and on dim they were 100% better than before, as soon as I hit the bights things went dim I couldn't drive with the bights if I had to, I got to packages of harnesses in the kit, and have no Idea the way they are wired on the ones I installed. they were just labeled 9004 & 9007 and I installed them accordingly. So I got the extra harness out of the kit to look at the wires and compare to these from @Spike48. So maybe this is my problem. I will enclose a pic of the extra harness.

I still plan on adding the brite box but don't know if that's going to fix my issue or not

wires.jpg

3 hours ago, 01cummins4ever said:

I got a chance to install my sport headlight conversion from DAP, went out at night to try them and on dim they were 100% better than before, as soon as I hit the bights things went dim I couldn't drive with the bights if I had to, I got to packages of harnesses in the kit, and have no Idea the way they are wired on the ones I installed. they were just labeled 9004 & 9007 and I installed them accordingly. So I got the extra harness out of the kit to look at the wires and compare to these from @Spike48. So maybe this is my problem. I will enclose a pic of the extra harness.

I still plan on adding the brite box but don't know if that's going to fix my issue or not

wires.jpg

I believe the pix is the harness that allows you to just plug your nonsport lights into the sport lights. If you want to convert you need the harness with the relays. Then make sure they are pinned like Spike 48 shows.