• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Headlight options

I've said it for years that I think the OEM Sport headlights provide more than enough lighting.  In the winter my drive can include some very dark two lane rural roads too and I dont have trouble.  Usually if I cant see far enough out then its because I'm going to fast, which in itself is a whole nother issue.

And yes the OEM Sport high beams can seem more like spot lights than spread beams but they sure reach out there a long ways.

My take on it is, there's always going to be something better.....but at some point you'll more than likely be straddling the fence of legality...and negatively affecting oncoming traffic who have to deal with stadium level flood lighting bearing down on them.  I'm not sure who enjoys when other vehicles are coming your way with HID lights so blue and bright that you cant see crap in front of you.....

Yes HID lighting is pretty cool but I have no interest in dumping loads of cash on something which isnt a problem "for me".  I have other vehicles with factory HID lights and I do like them but not enough to convert my truck over to them.

• Like 2

• Owner
1 hour ago, KATOOM said:

but at some point you'll more than likely be straddling the fence of legality...and negatively affecting oncoming traffic who have to deal with stadium level flood lighting bearing down on them.  I'm not sure who enjoys when other vehicles are coming your way with HID lights so blue and bright that you cant see crap in front of you.....

These are completely legal and have proper cutoff. The on coming side of the beam pattern steps down to prevent blinding on coming vehicles. The test board picture really short cutoff but when layout on the highway the cutoff is way more pronounced. The step is right on the yellow center line.

Image result for morimoto pattern

You can select the bulb color you wish too. I'm running 5k bulbs where lot of people like the 4k bulbs which lean towards the orangish tone where the 5k is leaning to the bluish tone. 

HID-Color-Chart.jpg

I thought the same thing for years that HID's are blinding illegal headlights. Only if you attempt a HID bulbs in a stock headlight housing without the lens and shutter. 

Now this is illegal... No lens and no shutter to contol high low beam. Reflector is not correct. This will blind people.

1994-2001 Dodge Ram Pickup Crystal Headlights with 10000K HID Conversion Kit - Black

https://www.amazon.com/1994-2001-Pickup-Crystal-Headlights-Conversion/dp/B06XJHRW4B/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505327433&sr=8-2&keywords=dodge+ram+headlights+hid

Where with the current headlight package I've got which is the Morimoto D2S. I've got the whole package. 

http://www.morimotohid.com/projectors/bi-xenon-mini-d2s-4-0-projectors.html

Image result for morimoto d2s

Way different light setup and quality for sure...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner
24 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

What is life expectancy on these D2S

Good question... I'm not sure on the life expectancy of the bulb or ballast for total time. I do know you want to avoid getting the 50w ballast and bulbs they are known for shorter life span at the price of giving more light. As for the setup I got, I opted for the 35w ballast and bulbs. 

As for most of the members here, they went with the smaller H1 Mini Morimoto headlights.

If you don't want to do all the custom fitting and just want to buy a fully assembled head lights...

http://shop.retroshop.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2G.RAM.RETRO

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I did the sport conversion with OEM units and the harness conversion.... forgot where I got it from Genos or dan sterling.... well I love the output and I'm happy with it ... but I think Id be happier with doing the HID Projector retrofit with Morimito mini H1 bulbs.....   I think that is what you are looking for...  

I should have read previous replies , I guess  you already considered the morimotos...   my next guess was in fact some light force driving lights to kick on and off on those dark windy roads..

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2017 at 1:26 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

I knew it's going to be pricey but rather do it right though.

:poke:how is that working for you :sofa:

Now that I'm going to be in the club of Morimoto's I've been reading all threads on lights lol. It makes so much more sense going with HID's now that I've looked into it. Glad I procrastinated long enough and didn't do anything till now. Being lazy pays off sometimes :whistle2:

• Owner

H1 Mini's are considered a basic. D2S will fit as well but you have to shave the shroud to fit the housing. D2S have a bigger lens and wider path of light compared to the H1 mini's. Most of the guys here doing it themselves used the H1 mini's. When I was talking to Retro Shop about the differences he informed me about the lens differences and the light difference. Just depends on if you are traveling long at night or not. Like myself, I travel 300-400 miles a week in the dark highways of Idaho.

Mike if you don't mind me posting here instead of starting a new thread. Plus I got exactly same housings minus all chrome and d2s universal kit. Thank you sir.

I don't get it, these bulbs don't have an oring or anything to make inside the housing air tight, and there is a small vent hole in housing itself with a piece of fine mash over it. I thought lights had to be air tight to keep moisture out. :think:

Been scratching my head here with these things lol, I'm half way to just should of bought a complete set... but love the experience and heated garage. 

• Owner
4 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I don't get it, these bulbs don't have an oring or anything to make inside the housing air tight, and there is a small vent hole in housing itself with a piece of fine mash over it. I thought lights had to be air tight to keep moisture out. :think:

Been scratching my head here with these things lol, I'm half way to just should of bought a complete set... but love the experience and heated garage.

Have no idea. :shrug:

Mine was fully assembled I just bolted them in the truck. So as for taking notice to vents on the headlights or water seals, I didn't.

5 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Mike if you don't mind me posting here instead of starting a new thread. Plus I got exactly same housings minus all chrome and d2s universal kit. Thank you sir.

Photos?

Yeah it's behind turn signal but still a vent to housing, I'm not too worried about it anymore. Still scratching my head on where to mount all the hardware, don't want to do it twice but seems like anything I do is at least that.

Edit.

OK found a good place for ballast, just on the other side of battery, Used SS self tapers that I was able to put in through signal light hole.

Also hi/low beam was backwards like in a lot of cases, so it Brown and White that need to be switched around in morimoto harness.

20171202_110900.jpg.73b406300f7aca480bc3b8b641d6b110.jpg

Edited by Dieselfuture

Mike are your lights cross-eyed at distance, what I mean is up close lights seem parallel but after about 50 feet they meet and then go opposite way. I'm not sure if at certain point they need to meet or not. Oh yeah I'm kicking myself self in the as. for not just buying a done set lol, Mini's H1 would definitely be easier to do, but I'm determined now :shifty:. Drove around a bit man what a difference, high beam you need benaculars to see that far. Now just need to finish adjusting beam and fit shrouds, we'll and put lenses back on housings. 

First picture is where you can see how left beam is over right and right one is slightly higher. 

20171202_171551.jpg.849d3ff4bf47dc6216cc1abe86024811.jpg

Second picture you can see driver side cutoff line is too far on the left 

20171202_172539.jpg.9d47de1aa95b880a6acd36409fa72025.jpg

Edited by Dieselfuture

Ive been reading up.

I need to do something with my original fogged up headlights on my '99 CTD

My 81 chevy 4x4 has glass sealed beams , It blows me away, $200-$600 ++ for new head lights,, Geeze !  :doh:

Edited by GSP7