• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Headlight options

• Owner
Just now, GSP7 said:

I need to do something with my original fogged up headlights on my '99 CTD

Just now, GSP7 said:

It blows me away, $200-$600 ++ for new head lights,, Geeze !

You pay for the quality that is for sure. Once you've seen the performance of the Morimoto HID's compared to your Glass Sealed Beams on your 81 Chevy you think those are dim and very limited. I need to pack my good camera along for a ride home some night. It's very impressive to see the amount of light width wise as well as distance wise on HID's compared to stock OEM headlights. 

Matter of fact yesterday in Ontario, OR I had a guy follow me into the Albertson Parking lot because I was behind him and he noticed for an old Dodge those where bright headlights. So he stopped me and we talked for awhile and he wants to install a set in his car (Nissan? Ricer?) Needless to say he was very impressed with the quality of the light and the precise cutoff pattern. He's got stock halogen OEM vs mine side by side his pattern could be seen very well. Mine stood out like a sore thumb. Nice part is my pattern typically is below the glass level of most cars. 

52 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I need to pack my good camera along for a ride home some night. It's very impressive to see the amount of light width wise as well as distance wise on HID's compared to stock OEM headlights. 

I would very much like to see some on-highway photos (low beam and high beam) of the light pattern from your truck's headlights.  Hope you take the time to do that on one of your trips.

- John

Edited by Tractorman

• Owner

Hmmm... If the weather permits tonight I can go down to dark canyon road and shoot a few pictures. I'll use my good camera for this.

12 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Mike are your lights cross-eyed at distance, what I mean is up close lights seem parallel but after about 50 feet they meet and then go opposite way. I'm not sure if at certain point they need to meet or not. Oh yeah I'm kicking myself self in the as. for not just buying a done set lol, Mini's H1 would definitely be easier to do, but I'm determined now :shifty:. Drove around a bit man what a difference, high beam you need benaculars to see that far. Now just need to finish adjusting beam and fit shrouds, we'll and put lenses back on housings. 

First picture is where you can see how left beam is over right and right one is slightly higher. 

20171202_171551.jpg.849d3ff4bf47dc6216cc1abe86024811.jpg

Second picture you can see driver side cutoff line is too far on the left 

20171202_172539.jpg.9d47de1aa95b880a6acd36409fa72025.jpg

This is something I really do like about the Retro Shop light I got. After they build them they bench test them and aim for you so it bolt on type of thing. Where doing it yourself you have to go through the whole aiming process. 

@Dieselfuture I would say find an empty road like you did stop right in the road. Then cover one headlight with your jacket or blanket. Adjust the first light for left to right. Then switch and do the other light for left to right. Now start over and adjust for you up and down then switch again do the same for the other light. Do all adjustment on the lo beam setting. 

Up and down is not as big of a deal as side to side, these cheap housings I got do adjust some up and down but to do side to side I got to move bumper forward take lights out disassemble grind a bit on housing put it all together and try it again, did it 3 times now, last night got close, hopefully will finish up today, just need a dark place, garage isn't cutting it for long pattern. I'm wondering how retroshop does it they must have some jig figured out. I ended up making a tool to remove a threaded ring that holds Morimoto's in place, best thing I've done so far, chanel locks just don't cut it. This made a world of difference. 20171203_134603.jpg.63240ed13ec228dec582d4498611a05e.jpg

Mike sorry to keep cluttering your thread but I feel it's related. I'm almost done screwing around and got the shrouds put on yesterday, got the pattern adjusted now just need to clean it up and bake lenses back on and hope nothing moves on me. On the other hand driving my car this morning  (5am, that son of a bit.h should only exist in the afternoon) always thinking how much better lights were, it looks deem now after driving truck last night, what a difference. You really can't explain it till seeing it first hand.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

Do the shrouds fit with out modifications?

No, I thought apollo 2 flat like Mike got did, but I still had to cut one side off. 20171203_200224.jpg.0658bf00f4687a04a4551eb9db1dd64d.jpg

@Mopar1973Man what bulbs did you put in signal lights, original or led, the reason I'm asking is as hard as it is for me to change bulbs, I was going to go with LEDs but remembered they may need a resistor or something.

Edited by Dieselfuture

6 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

Thanks for the photos. If you had a do-over would you use the minis or?

No problem, while I was doing it, i was thinking never again and should of went with mini h1, but now that it's done and I know what to do I could cut time at least in half. And the method is used is not what I would use again, instead of using threads i would drill 4 small holes and use screws for adjustment, it's a pain trying to aim them relying on one big hole and grinding and adding epoxy little bit at a time. I probably made few bucks and hour this time, if I did it again I may make 10, that gives an idea if it's worth buying them complete. End result was definitely not about saving money lol, but I gained experience, and I guess I did save some money but wasted ridiculous amount of time just like everything else on this truck. I did enjoy doing it even though few times I was cursing myself out. Do lots of reading and research before just jumping in it, will help to save time. One thing I'm still confused about is even if I used mini h1 vs mini d2s it would still require aiming them, @Me78569 @notlimah @jlbayesdid you have any problems aiming your h1 or just put them in a hole and call it good aside from leveling. Mine were cross-eyed and I had to grind and build up epoxy on the inside at least an 1/8th worth to get them both meet on cutoff and on centerline at right distance. Could just be cheap housings I'm using too.

Edited by Dieselfuture

My housings have adjustment screws for left right and up down.  

I have an idea to make the install super easy but I need to test the theory.  Unless as set of housing and ds2 show up out of the blue I will never get to test the theory.

Overall I think the mini h1's are best most of the time due to the ease of install.

• Like 1

• Owner
1 minute ago, Me78569 said:

My housings have adjustment screws for left right and up down.  

My headlights does not have the normal adjustments. There is only on adjustment screw on the back of the housing. Either you have to remove batteries or remove the headlights to get at the adjustment screw.

I do not. Just getting enough height in them. Which after seeing Mikes pictures mine are much lower than his. Also DO NOT mess with resistors for led switch backs. Get the electronic flasher (ep27 for 98+). I use ebay cheapys. The ones I have currently. Extremely visible even with the painted housings. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Switchback-2x-3157-3357-Dual-Color-Turn-Signal-Light-High-Power-Amber-White-Led-/253293390101?hash=item3af9766915

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

So you're using those in the front turn signal position correct? So when the parking lamps are on they are lit up white? 

I've not posted my pictures as of yet... :wink:

Yes that is correct on both counts. I have tried to get a good picture of them all on but they wash out the camera. Even messing with the settings.

Some one posted theirs in the last couple of days..... :sleep:

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

My headlights does not have the normal adjustments. There is only on adjustment screw on the back of the housing. Either you have to remove batteries or remove the headlights to get at the adjustment screw.

If you have same housings as me you can stick a screwdriver sideways under bumper, it had me confused at first too.