• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help, Not starting

Craneguy85

I have a 2008 CTD with 75k miles. I deleted the pfg,egr with a sinister diesel kit, 5in turbo back exhaust and H&S mini maxx. 
The truck ran 100% perfect. I fueled up 3/4 tank from Kroger grocery gas station and the truck ran fine, the next day driving home from work, the truck started to sputter a bit while pulling into my driveway. As i accelerated a bit there was no power and a bunch of white smoke. I shut the truck off and it would not restart. I checked for codes and there were no DTC's i opened the diesel water separator valve and a heavy stream was pouring out, i re primed a few times and bam! It started and ran fine. I let it idle there was no white smoke, i shut off the motor and tried to re start and it would not fire. I opened the the water separator valve and a large amount of fluid came out... started it again and it was missing bad with white smoke and the smell from the exhaust was, if i could explain "condensation type smell, like starting a gas engine in the morning" i hear the truck priming perfectly fine. I am new to Diesel engines and need help/guidance on what to start tackling on first. Could it be water in fuel? The tuner? Injectors? Lift pump? My fuel line pressure reads 6ksi idle on the gauge... please help

• Staff

Both my trucks have a large water separating filter before the lift pump, So it can't chop the water into little droplets.

They have clear bowls so you can see when to drain, but most important, It helps the smaller factory filter last longer by not having to do all the work.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner

In freezing weather you have to be careful because water will freeze in the filter and possibly in the fuel lines too. Causing all kinds of issues ranging from poor performance to no start at all. Gelled fuel is a different story and typically be dealt with by using anti-gel product. Water though there is no way to fix frozen water in fuel other than heat the vehicle up in an enclosed space.