• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bad VP44 vs injectors?

Hey guys,

My truck has suddenly felt like it has lost a crazy amount of power. It is not as noticeable until the torque converter locks in overdrive and the truck feels like a turd. Also, when the truck is warm and idling in park it has an intermittent miss/popping sound,which goes away when put into gear. This sound has occurred for about 2 years now, so I haven't thought much of it. Would you guys think this would be the injectors finally wearing out or the VP getting ready to die? I have no codes. Shift points have also gotten noticeably longer, as it will ride 3rd gear forever now. I have pressure tested my Airdog 150 and everything comes out as spec since it is the 15 PSI model. I also have a boost gauge and at WOT I can still hit 30 PSI of boost but I still have nowhere near as much power as about a week ago, Which is why I think it could be fuel related.

Edited by nwilliams

Thought I made a signature, but I must not have. My truck is a 1998.5 extended cab 4x4 auto with a mechanically stock motor. I do have an Edge Comp and and AirDog 150 along with a cold air intake and 4" exhaust. Transmission is pretty fresh with some upgraded internals. I am monitoring boost from a boost gauge probed to one of the "boost bolt adapters" in the intake manifold. I am getting 30PSI max boost in overdrive, so I am assuming that is what the wastegate has been turned to along with an aftermarket boost elbow. The turbo/chip setup was on the truck when I purchased it, so I do not know for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It seems that this issue is not nearly as noticeable when the truck is cold in the mornings. When I drive it a few miles and everything gets warm, then it has a noticeable loss of power. I am starting to wonder if my new alternator has not just caused different symptoms from what I was having?