• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Bad steering colunm? shift indicator out of whack, tight steering

So this problem has slowly been getting worse,

Little run down, beginning of all this. so every time ya go to turn, it makes a squeaking noise, left or right doesn't matter.

As time went on, it got a little worse, then when you started turning left, ( still makes the squeaking noise) the steering wheel would tight up, not alot but enough to notice in the wheel and got really annoying, it wouldnt tighten up turning right, normal as could be.

Well now it's getting bad, if you go to turn left, it'll pop out of drive into neutral, go to turn right it, it wants to pop out of drive and has, also the gear indicator has been funky,

When you go to put into park, the indicator stays on drive, or 1st gear, the indicator in neutral. Wants to stick.

Couple things I'm thinking it could be,

Bad clock spring,

Steering column ujoint bad? But that doesn't explain why it would pop out of gear.

Cable linkage out of whack?

Bad steering column in general.

Now I haven't torn into anything yet, but it's going to be my weekend project, just need to know what I should be looking for/checking.
It's to the point now where it's almost to bad to drive.
Thanks in advance!!

If I disconnect the steering shaft in the engine bay itself, I won't mess up the clock spring right? ( Meaning not to turn it to far) and when you say bushing, are you meaning the joint in the column? Or is there another bushing I'm missing? 

I don't think it's the clock spring because my cruise control works and no airbag lights, 

Edited by fuze24v

• Staff

You my need one of these  http://www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/  and this is how you install it  http://www.pavementsucks.com/threads/rock-solid-ram-steering-fix-install.336866/.

I agree that a clock spring will not cause it.  If you disconnect the steering column from the steering box do not rotate it more than two turns or you will run the risk of braking the clock spring.  Make sure the clock spring is in the same position when you put it together as when you disconnected it.  You can either mark everything and keep track of any column movement,  lock up the column or disconnect the batteries remove the air bag, steering wheel and clock spring.

• Like 2

Okay, so if this makes a difference, I have no steering wheel lock either.  Just got in it to pull it into the shop, and no lock haha. 

18 hours ago, IBMobile said:

You my need one of these  http://www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/  and this is how you install it  http://www.pavementsucks.com/threads/rock-solid-ram-steering-fix-install.336866/.

I agree that a clock spring will not cause it.  If you disconnect the steering column from the steering box do not rotate it more than two turns or you will run the risk of braking the clock spring.  Make sure the clock spring is in the same position when you put it together as when you disconnected it.  You can either mark everything and keep track of any column movement,  lock up the column or disconnect the batteries remove the air bag, steering wheel and clock spring.

Tearing into it now, 

Okay need some clarification, so I watched the video for the fix on the bushing, I wouldn't say mine moves. 1/4 of a inch, but it moves pretty good and it clunks, safe to say it's probably that, 

Also have a different question, on the spring itself( going to try to post a video of mine) there is a bracket off the spring with a rod that goes down towards the tranny. Is that the shifting ROD?? Might be a stupid question, I'm going to guess it is ?? 

Edited by fuze24v

• Staff
7 hours ago, fuze24v said:

So that linkage is the linkage that controls what gear it goes into in the cab right? P R N P 2 1

yes