• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The crf450ish random question thread.

I am simply going to ask random questions regarding my truck and upgrades, feedback on upgrades others have done....anecdotal evidence etc....

To start off...has anyone ran the stainless diesel manifold? (http://www.crazycarlsturbos.com/Stainless-Diesel-Exaust-Manifold-SDman.htm) If so....what is your opinion on it?

I am slowly preparing for compounds OR just a larger single, haven't decided yet. Specific setup is still not known at this point, however I do know I want reliability and usability over everything. In my other thread, TFaoro made some excellent points (

). 

I'll be back with more ?s. Thanks.

PS TFaoro.....trailer weighs 5,560 pounds:thumb1:  I'll see about getting a pic up here soon. 

The ONLY thing I have heard "bad" about stainless manifolds is they like to stay hot after shutdown. Really not a big deal. Other than that I've never heard of one cracking or breaking. 

Turbos are a fun discussion. It's best if you start with what you're thinking though and we can give opinions on your ideas :thumbup2: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

The ONLY thing I have heard "bad" about stainless manifolds is they like to stay hot after shutdown. Really not a big deal. Other than that I've never heard of one cracking or breaking. 

Turbos are a fun discussion. It's best if you start with what you're thinking though and we can give opinions on your ideas :thumbup2: 

I want to do all necessary supporting mods prior to purchasing and installing the turbo(s). Even supporting mods deemed unnecessary but more for insurance/piece of mind.

Recently I put 4 tons of pellets (pellet stove fuel) on my trailer. Thats 8K# plus trailer weight-5,560 plus truck weight-7,600 thats 21,000 pounds roughly. Truck did "ok" pulling the grades and inclines on the 80 mile trip with programmer on level 2, EGTs were in check..never got above 1100 degrees. I just want more power. I want to be able to put 5 or 6 tons on the trailer and go go go with no problems. 

What single would you recommend? I'd like to stick with Borg Warner. I'll also be buying the injectors from DAP. No doubts about that. 

Hey I also have the FASS 150 Platinum. Is the Titanium a direct bolt on same pattern if I just my platinum off with intentions of bolting the Titanium up in its spot?

Without a quad I'd be careful of injector size.

This also leads to the question of how much power you want. If you've go the funds, twins would be the coolest and most powerful option. 

Studs, springs, pushrods, injectors, a twin kit, and an s472 or an s475 would be a really nice towing setup.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Without a quad I'd be careful of injector size.

This also leads to the question of how much power you want. If you've go the funds, twins would be the coolest and most powerful option. 

Studs, springs, pushrods, injectors, a twin kit, and an s472 or an s475 would be a really nice towing setup.

You mean quad, as in Quadzilla Adrenaline? I'm not buying one of those for a long time. 

"Studs, springs, pushrods, injectors, a twin kit, and an s472 or an s475 would be a really nice towing setup."

Bolded = Couldn't I just run one of those as a single and be done? I'm honestly trending towards a single....one that I could later use as the big turbo in a twin setup. That is my ideal decision...

Underlined = are those the only supporting mods that should be done prior to putting more boost into the engine?

1 hour ago, crf450ish said:

You mean quad, as in Quadzilla Adrenaline? I'm not buying one of those for a long time. 

"Studs, springs, pushrods, injectors, a twin kit, and an s472 or an s475 would be a really nice towing setup."

Bolded = Couldn't I just run one of those as a single and be done? I'm honestly trending towards a single....one that I could later use as the big turbo in a twin setup. That is my ideal decision...

Underlined = are those the only supporting mods that should be done prior to putting more boost into the engine?

Yes, I meant as in the adrenaline. It's easy to turn a programmer up, but turning the fueling lower than stock is impossible without a quad. 

Since your trans is already built properly, yes I think that is all you'll need to go 50+ with boost. 

No, you can not. when I was having some "issues" with my setup, my small turbo wouldn't spool and my 75 came alive at about 22-2300rpm. Needless to say it was completely useless.

If you're leaning toward a single I would hesitate to put anything larger than a 62 on and still tow / DD nicely. I would also be careful of your injector size for DDing and towing. 

@CSM might be able to help a bit here since he has an auto and a setup that works well for him. 

• Like 3

My setup you can read in my sig, is a great all around setup.  Its fast empty, its fun, and it tows ok.  I kinda wish I had gone a little smaller or stuck with a stock stall converter.  

IMO, if you tow fast or tow with over 30psi of boost, you are going to break expensive stuff.  The engines don't like being pulled that hard that long. 

If you want to build a toy truck, go for twins. If you want a race only truck, a big single or twins is ok.  If you are trying to build a dedicated truck for some purpose, you need to define what that is.  My goal was all around fun bun still good to tow.  I am pushing about as big of a single as I would want to tow with at my altitude.  At sea level the turbo is perfect.  I have a smarty and don't plan on changing it.  A quad would likely be better, but over a couple years I have a tune that works well.  

Studs, turbo, quad, injectors.  Change your coolant every other year.  Then rebuild your trans and rear end when you shell those.  

Edited by CSM
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CSM said:

My setup you can read in my sig, is a great all around setup.  Its fast empty, its fun, and it tows ok.  I kinda wish I had gone a little smaller or stuck with a stock spool converter.  

IMO, if you tow fast or tow with over 30psi of boost, you are going to break expensive stuff.  The engines don't like being pulled that hard that long. 

If you want to build a toy truck, go for twins. If you want a race only truck, a big single or twins is ok.  If you are trying to build a dedicated truck for some purpose, you need to define what that is.  My goal was all around fun bun still good to tow.  I am pushing about as big of a single as I would want to tow with at my altitude.  At sea level the turbo is perfect.  I have a smarty and don't plan on changing it.  A quad would likely be better, but over a couple years I have a tune that works well.  

Studs, turbo, quad, injectors.  Change your coolant every other year.  Then rebuild your trans and rear end when you shell those.  

Very nice truck & setup! I looked up your turbo and quite larger than the one suggested to me by @Me78569 .

I whole heartedly agree about the 30 psi deal when towing, to me, thats common sense. But common sense isn't common. 

As far as what I use my truck for....its pretty much what you use yours for. A little fun here and there, but mainly build for a purpose....to tow when I need it to.  @Me78569  suggested this http://dieselautopower.com/borg-warner-s362-sx-e-series-62-68-turbo-13009097056/ and I like it. I have the EJWA, I like it also. @TFaoro suggested the Quadzilla Adrenaline for the purpose of turning the fuel down lower than stock, IDK what the purpose of turning the fuel lower than stock is, so can someone elaborate on that fact please. 

Fueling lower than stock is VERY helpful with bigger than stock injectors.  HP wouldn't be lower as your injectors make up for it.  

By fueling we mean the actual fueling message to the VP44,  

think or the fueling message / commmand as a 0-100% for 0-235 hp on stock injectors. %50 = 117.5 hp etc

Now you add bigger than stock injectors, the ecm doesn't know that the injectors flow more than stock so it is still commanding fueling like it would with stock size injectors.  

So rather than %50 = 117, %50 = 200 hp. 

Now move down to your offidle fueling,  there becomes a point where even the lowest amount of throttle movement / change is too much and you get smoke.  

Our trucks in stock form really use about %25 - %85 of fueling,  Using the quad to pull that %25 down to %15 or lower can give you  a lot more fueling resolution.   Again still the same power down low, but you are able to "recalibrate" the ecm tuning to match the larger flow rates of the bigger injectors.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Fueling lower than stock is VERY helpful with bigger than stock injectors.  HP wouldn't be lower as your injectors make up for it.  

By fueling we mean the actual fueling message to the VP44,  

think or the fueling message / commmand as a 0-100% for 0-235 hp on stock injectors. %50 = 117.5 hp etc

Now you add bigger than stock injectors, the ecm doesn't know that the injectors flow more than stock so it is still commanding fueling like it would with stock size injectors.  

So rather than %50 = 117, %50 = 200 hp. 

Now move down to your offidle fueling,  there becomes a point where even the lowest amount of throttle movement / change is too much and you get smoke.  

Our trucks in stock form really use about %25 - %85 of fueling,  Using the quad to pull that %25 down to %15 or lower can give you  a lot more fueling resolution.   Again still the same power down low, but you are able to "recalibrate" the ecm tuning to match the larger flow rates of the bigger injectors.

Very well put. I understand now.

I only suggest stainless diesel manifolds when people are looking. Personal preference is all. And they stay hot for a long time even when normal driving. Two to three times as long cool down times compared to cast manifold. Immediate difference in the time when I went from a cast ats to the stainless manifold.

• Like 1

The only thing that worries me (mainly cause i'm uneducated) is spending forever learning about the quad once I get it. I don't wanna have to constantly play with it every time I drive my truck. I just wanna get it, install it, tune it and be done forever like my edge. Does it work like that?

once you get a tune you like you can just keep running it.  I haven't changed my DD tune in ~2 weeks and that was only because I updated the flash for full timing control, before that I hadn't touched the tune in a month.  

At this point I don't forsee the need to ever change my DD tune I am happy wiht it as it is.  You can spend as much or little time with it as you like.  The more time you get the better the truck will run, but you will gain the most right away then the change will be less and less noticable as you get it tuned.  

If you truly read the tuning article I dont see any reason why you shouldn't have a good tune setup in less than 2 hours.    Once you get the hang of it then you can do another tune, for say tow or race in next to no time.  The how to tune is at the bottom of the tuning article  Look it over and see what you think. 

• Like 1