• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The crf450ish random question thread.

8 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Yours is a first for me. 

I would not disagree from what i have read over the years, but mine went as mentioned above. OE VP at 75K, OE lift pump at 150K, cost me near a grand, replaced the second VP at 217K. Turned out my problem was the ECM and not the VP. Ran that VP for about 40K on the in tank pump and replaced that with the ADII 165 I run today. Just my experience.

• Like 1

• Staff

Dripley, if you needed another lift pump, would you go for another ADII 165? Asking because I have another truck with an in tank pump that I get to finally see what it looks like in there.

Edited by JAG1

31 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Dripley, if you needed another lift pump, would you go for another ADII 165? Asking because I have another truck with an in tank pump that I get to finally see what it looks like in there.

this is why I bought the ADII 165. I knew it was way overkill for the truck but i did not know what I would do with it power wise. It was only slightly more than a 150 and it came with a kit to get rid of the in tank pump. It was complete and I bought nothing extra except for a big line kit since I attached to the OE fuel canister and not straight t the VP. The fuel pick up is only 3/8" and not 1/2" and I do see about a 3 to 3.5 psi drop at WOT. The original pump went out about 2 years ago but AD replaced it no questions asked. The original last about 5 years. Another thing I liked is that it has an adjustable pressure regulator and not just a spring and ball.

I bought the AD right before they started having all of their problems and maybe thats why the pump did not last. I would consider another one but would entertain the idea of a Fass or one the mechanical  pumps. For now I am happy with the AD and not sorry that I bought it.

I did install using the quick disconnects and dont seem to have any problems with them. I do have a misfire under hard throttle sometimes and other times no miss at all. They may the be cause of that not sure. Cant seem to find the time to work on it being on the road all the time.

• Like 1

@trreed my truck had the in tank retrofit as well AND that lawnmower size pump on the block. My VP went out at 92K miles. New one went on as well as my FASS 150 at the same time. No problems since but I am thinking seriously of buying another one from DAP and keeping it in my truck as a backup. I tend to travel the country for work. 

• Like 1

Mine did as well, but I wouldn't want a $1,000 pump bouncing around in the back of my truck. Having parts like that just sitting never seems to end well. If anything, find a used one for cheap that'll get you by in a pinch and let it rattle around in the back. 

Mine came in a box with that form forming foam (say that 10x fast) around the pump. If I can snag a bad pump off of CL for cheap as a core, Id just keep the new VP in the box and send the core in in its own box. 

I'll never forget what I seen in the trunk of my grandfathers old 75' Mercury Marquis.....spare:

alternator

carb rebuilt kit & fuel filter

2 of every belt

radiator cap

thermostat

5 gallons of distilled H2O 

5 gallons of concentrate coolant

several quarts of oil

oil filter

several quarts of tranny fluid 

2 bottle jacks

several pieces of different sized wood for use as blocks

spark plugs (all 8 gapped and ready to go)

distributor cap

spark plug wires

and finally his toolbox that had to weigh at least 100 pounds. 

This was when I was a kid and I remember this very clearly because I was with him and my grandmother once on our way back to my parents place in western WA from eastern OR and we broke down. He had to get everything out and he layed it all out on a big old dirty bed sheet on the side of the road, he kept just for that purpose. I couldn't believe how much stuff he packed around in that car. And it had a 460 in it....fuel milage must have been 5. 

Needless to say, witnessing that did teach me to carry stuff. I don't take it to that extreme, but I do carry every tool Ive ever used to work on my truck in my toolbox. You just never know. Especially considering where I go....rural Wyoming where cell service could take hours of travel time to find. 

Edited by crf450ish
  • Like 2

• Staff

Dripley, Eric's the one that has seen the quick connects leak. If you want a brand new set, came with my AD 100, I still have them new in the box. and you can have them if you want them. Eric set me up with some adapters that allow the factory Carter to go on easy incase I ever need the back up pump I carry in the tool box..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

Dripley, Eric's the one that has seen the quick connects leak. If you want a brand new set, came with my AD 100, I still have them new in the box. and you can have them if you want them. Eric set me up with some adapters that allow the factory Carter to go on easy incase I ever need the back up pump I carry in the tool box..

I appreciate the offer but mine are doing fine for now. If they ever start giving me trouble I figure I will swap them out for push locks.

• 2 weeks later...

WELP........ my 3 1/2 yr old Auto Zone alternator kicked the bucket this morning. Good thing I I was only sitting at the bus stop with the kids in the truck when I smelt something electrical burning, I immediately shut the truck down and popped the hood and smoke was pouring out of the alternator. 

I'm just going to get warranty replacement from AutoZone and then keep that one as a back up and I'm buying a nations alternator.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Currently I have a FASS 150 platinum (same as titanium w/ out air separator). I want to get the air dog equivalent or better of the FASS titanium. My question is can i use the same 1/2" lines and push lock fittings the FASS came with or do I need to replace the whole kit n kabootle? 

If anything the threads will be different for the fittings themselves. I know for a fact the return line fitting won't fit so I'd imagine it's the same situation for the rest. Otherwise should be a pretty straight forward swap, would be easiest to just go with the FASS.

• 2 months later...