• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ordering replacement steering soon

AH64ID

• Staff

Any reason not to stick with my OEM Y steering?

MOOG replacement parts are $217 to my door, and I don't need a new stabilizer (less than 40K on a Bilstien 5100), or pitman arm. 

T steering appears to be $340+ the pitman arm and stabilizer for OEM and maybe $75 less for MOOG. 

I have 125K on my OEM steering and it's never given me DW or any issues. I do plenty of towing/dirt road driving, etc... not a single complaint other than it's starting to wonder a little now. 

Will MOOG last as long as OEM? 

I've also been told to look at NAPA parts, which I generally HATE buying, and they are just under 2x the cost of MOOG. Generally price and quality are directly correlated but most the online reviews put MOOG and NAPA in the same quality/longevity bin. Any direct experiences here?

Thanks

For 3d gen, i really dont know.  My moogs also sucked.  I have napa pro sitting on my shelf.

Ball joints should last more than 30k of highway driving.

Edited by CSM
  • Like 1

I see all the bad reviews came out while I was typing. My experience was different than everyone elses but I have seen others saying the same derogatory things. 

I replaced all of my steering except the pitman arm and my ball joints about 120k miles ago. All with Moog. The track bar only lasted about 80k to 90k and I did replace it with another Moog bar. The ball joints are starting to get a little up and down play in them. I never really heard anything bad about Moog till just after installing all of it. Federal Mogul also took them over about that time too so who knows what might have changed since. Also from what I know the 00-02 are pretty harsh on those parts, ball joint especially. So I can only speak of parts I bought over 5 years ago to go on my 2nd gen 02. 

I am still not convinced the T is better than the Y but I have entertained the thought changing. Not sure I want bigger wheels to accommodate it and dont really want to grind the TRE's either. Seems some have had good success with the T steering. 

• Staff

Can't get OEM quality to the door for that low and if I am going to buy a new steering stabilizer I may as well get OEM quality. I would also need a new pitman arm so it's about 450+ for the T type. The T type also doesn't seem to have as good of quality drag links as the Y type. 

T steering is also on their 12 revision and multiple recalls since it was released. That doesn't instill a lot of confidence. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 1

The Moog parts I put on 5 years ago is still good steering wise but the ball joints have not. I am going for Spicer on the ball joints next go around. I have not seen enough good on the T steering to try it. I believe that @Mopar1973Man did a round of Mevothech ball joints and did NOT have success with them. Not sure though.I do know they are one of the cheapest at Rock Auto.

I figured you were since this is in the 3rd gen section. The 00-02 are different from the earlier 2nd gens. Matter of fact the companies that make the the lifetime warranty ball joints for 2nd gens dont make them for the 00-02. Something about the alignment of them makes them wear quicker I believe. Anyway those are to expensive for my taste and you have a 3rd gen anyway. 

On 2/10/2017 at 5:11 PM, AH64ID said:

Can't get OEM quality to the door for that low and if I am going to buy a new steering stabilizer I may as well get OEM quality. I would also need a new pitman arm so it's about 450+ for the T type. The T type also doesn't seem to have as good of quality drag links as the Y type. 

T steering is also on their 12 revision and multiple recalls since it was released. That doesn't instill a lot of confidence. 

The kit I am referencing is OEM. I did forget about you needing the pitman arm however as 3rd gen.