• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Canopy Removal & Storage

Florin1

Hello guys. So my ram has a canopy which I love, but am probably going to go with a 5th wheel for my travel trailer. Having said that, I'm looking for ideas on a clever way to remove my canopy. I want it to be easy to do, so I can go back and forth from open to covered. I've heard of an elaborate pulley system. I'd like to see some ideas of what y'all have. Parts and prices photos and links are a plus. I'm not afraid to build something. I just need ideas. Thanks.

• Owner

Very risky doing a pulley setup. The only way I would do a pulley setup is if the eyelets are bolt style in the canopy or off a piece of angle steel bolted to the edge. If it's just floating on 2x4's wouldn't take much for that to be off balance and slide off crashing to the ground. But if the ropes are clipped to eyelet bolted to the canopy it will be much safer. 

I struggled over a similar decision.  How could I remove my truck canopy when I wanted to load my slide in camper?

After looking at a lot of different ideas, I decided on a relatively simple and somewhat efficient design.

I parked my truck in the area where I wanted to store my canopy and then marked places to sink four posts in the ground.  One off each corner of the truck bed and about 6" wider (on each side) than the truck body.  I then installed 4 posts (set in concrete).  Then I installed 2x6 rails between each of two posts and parallel to the length of the truck.  Those rails were set about 4" higher than the top rail of the bed when the truck was parked between them.  This design allows me to back the truck between these posts.

Then I get in the bed of the truck and standing there use my back to lift up either the front end of the canopy (or the back end) then my wife slides a 2x4 across those 2x6 rails and under the canopy that I have lifted up.  I then set the canopy down on that cross rail and move to the opposite end and repeat the process.

Then I just drive the truck out from under the canopy that is now sitting on the cross rails.  Loading the canopy back on the truck is just the opposite procedure. 

Then I also take two nylon straps and put them over the canopy (one in the front and one in the rear) and cinch them up to insure the canopy is not at risk of being blown off this resting place if a big wind of some kind was to come up.

I don't have a picture of the canopy off the truck but with this enclosed picture I hope you can see what I am trying to explain.

20170217_203650.jpg

Edited by War Eagle
some double posted lines
  • Like 2

• Owner
9 hours ago, War Eagle said:

I struggled over a similar decision.  How could I remove my truck canopy when I wanted to load my slide in camper?

After looking at a lot of different ideas, I decided on a relatively simple and somewhat efficient design.

I parked my truck in the area where I wanted to store my canopy and then marked places to sink four posts in the ground.  One off each corner of the truck bed and about 6" wider (on each side) than the truck body.  I then installed 4 posts (set in concrete).  Then I installed 2x6 rails between each of two posts and parallel to the length of the truck.  Those rails were set about 4" higher than the top rail of the bed when the truck was parked between them.  This design allows me to back the truck between these posts.

Then I get in the bed of the truck and standing there use my back to lift up either the front end of the canopy (or the back end) then my wife slides a 2x4 across those 2x6 rails and under the canopy that I have lifted up.  I then set the canopy down on that cross rail and move to the opposite end and repeat the process.

Then I just drive the truck out from under the canopy that is now sitting on the cross rails.  Loading the canopy back on the truck is just the opposite procedure. 

Then I also take two nylon straps and put them over the canopy (one in the front and one in the rear) and cinch them up to insure the canopy is not at risk of being blown off this resting place if a big wind of some kind was to come up.

struggled over a similar decision.  How could I remove my truck canopy when I wanted to load my slide in camper?

I don't have a picture of the canopy off the truck but with this enclosed picture I hope you can see what I am trying to explain.

20170217_203650.jpg

Interesting Idea for heavier canopies. 

10 hours ago, Jolsen said:

I just pick mine up and drop it on a pick up bed trailer...

When I had kids here at home I could do that as well.  Just put one on each corner and lift it off.

I have a heavy fiberglass canopy and the challenge comes when you don't have multiple people to call on to help take it off then put it back on.

post-11041-138698185869_thumb.jpg

With this system I can easily get it on or off when I need it.