• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 dodge auto tranny problems

I have a 2001 dodge reg cab 2wd with the auto tranny only bought about a month ago. It shifts great in the first few gears but the last 2 seems to hold till about 2000rpm and then shift pretty hard. I have checked the alt and am only about .024 ac volts. I am going to clean the grounds anywhere I see them. Fluid still looks brand new, but may replace and put new filter on. Any suggestions or has any one had same type of issues. Thanks to everyone so far for being helpful.

Stock tranny/valve body? You can have a hard 3-4 shift if the 3-4 spring is broken, which is common. If you're going to drop the pan anyways for a filter change, you can take the 3 screws out from the 3-4 accumulator housing and check the spring.

3rd to 3rd lockup can be "harsh" and 3rd to 4th can be "harsh" if you have a triple disc and modified valve body.

http://www.cascadetransmissionparts.com/a61847rh47re.aspx

Thanks for the help, yes it's stock as far as I know. I cleaned all ground wires in truck and seemed to really help. Now only gear that is harsh is 5th. And takes a while to let shift to 5th. Any ideas what would cause that

Edited by 2001cummins
Add

not sure if it is stock or not, it had 160000 on truck when I bough it, He did not say he has had any trans work done to it. But when it locks up(what I am counting as 5th) it is a hard shift then does not ever come out of lock up unless I slow down, but truck has no problems downshifting it is always in correct gear if I slow down then take back off. Just don't remember any of my other cummins with auto tranny shift like that- but I guess from what yall are saying it may have different converter and valve body because it does not have any problems other than that. Timbo apps is suppose to be in tonight so I will put on and see if that helps- have read some other post that helped with there shifting on auto trans for some reason.

Ok thanks, I was going to buy the master kit from cascade transmission parts that has all the solenoids and new gasket and 3-4 spring $200. Figured it would be worth it to see if that helped would be cheaper than taking to trans shop. But if you don't think that is the problem no point of wasting 200 dollars?

thanks, will look at that too. I did end up changing the fluid and filter over the weekend and while I was in there, I did find the 3-4 spring to be broke in half. Seems to shift better now but still late lock up but not as harsh. thanks for all the help from everyone.