• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

SUV talk...go

Wild and Free

OK if anyone has been following the VW emissions thread you know wifes car is getting bought back so the wife wants an SUV. Looking for recommendations as we have never owned one.

She has a few things she would like.

1 - AWD

2 - heated leather

3 - moon roof or sun roof.

4 - she wants it to have a bit of pep to it yet get 25+ mpg I just lol at that one.

5 - 30k max price

Other than drive by on the lots we eliminated the VW Tiguan as the best milage is 23 on the spec sheets and is also the smallest and quite ugly.

We both like the looks and mileage of the Nissan Rogue, the reviews are pretty good but they all say it is about the lowest on power.

Honda CRV keeps coming up with the highest overall ratings but have not looked at one yet but many I have talked to around here that have own one say the hondas are really light and cheap and tinny feeling.

Mazda cx 5 is another high ranking but no local dealers for them here so that is an automatic disqual.

Toyota Rav 4 ?

Jeep,Chrysler, Dodge, Kia, Hyundai, ford any GM products we have dealerships for locally.

We keep coming back to the Nissan Rogue for some dumb reason having not even looked at many others or even driven anything yet.

Advice from all welcome

GO!!!!!!

Edited by Wild and Free

Mileage isnt as good, but we love our 06 4runner.  I would personally avoid the new ones with the first iteration of direct injection gas.  

Rav4 isnt bad, but a bit small for our family.  

If you don't need the extra ground clearance, subaru outback. My wife has a 2011 4 cylinder nonturbo wagon, averages high twenties around town, 33-34mpg highway. My mom has a 2006 wagon, almost 300k, original motor and tranny, averages about 25mpg. Never got stuck in a New England winter.

She doesn't want a wagon style vehicle and she wants to sit up a bit higher and unless the brand new ones have changed the cab design they are way to boxy and uncomfy for long hauls. We both have sat in them every couple years and they never seem to change the front seat area for comfort.

Well, I was going to recommend a Subaru diesel, but they are not allowed in the US! Bullhockey!

Besides a diesel, I would go with a toyota. They hold their value well. Obviously, go to a toyota dealer and drive them all. Find the one...

Edited by hex0rz

My uncle and his wife just moved to England a few weeks ago for her job, he said 90% of the vehicles over there are diesels with manual trans, said its hard to find both gas vehicles or automatics. he just bought a 2011 VW diesel with a 2.0 TDI and DSG auto which he said he had to look high and low to find the auto tranny.

Also said there are tons of other models of vehicles and all with diesels over there not offered here. He was talking about VW having a vehicle that resembles a pickup over there but can't remember what he said it was called.

13 minutes ago, hex0rz said:

If i could, it'd be the VW passat with the blue motion engine! 80mpg i think it equated to?

you mean the engine that is built in the usa but not allowed to be sold in a vehicle in the usa. the epa is so full of bull.

I have been on the same search for years. its a case of pick and choose what you can live with and without. The Subaru are really nice, honda, and toyota make good stuff, nissan and mazda are barley still in business in my book.

Done deal "almost", just put a deposit down on a 2017 Honda CRV so it doesn't get sold before the car return happens march 7. Works out good because its the same dealer that sells the VW too so it was easy to work out a deposit to hold deal lol.

Drove the Subaru forester this morning was nicer than I expected from my previous subaru encounters and previous ownership but very rough riding and choppy every single road crack was very prominant throughout the cab and it had rather hard seats.

Next went over and test drove the CRV I had found and instantly fell in love with it, its more quiet way way way more comfy more options more refined felt like it had more power for a larger vehicle with a smaller engine than the subaru, Subaru had a 2.5 litre and this honda has a 1.5 l turbo engine, mileage rating is about even to a mile per gallon higher on the Honda.

http://www.bismarckmotorcompany.com/new-Bismarck-2017-Honda-CR+V-EX+L-5J6RW2H8XHL003570

5j6rw2h8xhl003570-1.jpg

Edited by Wild and Free

Neat way to test things.

That video is six years old, many changes have happened to all manufacturer models and technology since then already so it's not relevant to what vehicles and technology are on the road for 2017.

It snowed this morning so all the roads were icey and slick while doing the test drive and i was nailing the throttle on the honda in different types of driving from dead stop  and from different speeds to see how fast the automatic AWD system would react and it was nearly seem less on rolling romps and split second reaction from a stop when i could feel it start to spin.

I just know that most "AWD" systems still suck lol. 4x4 is better but still most are sub par. they cheapen out to save a buck and use open diffs. so annoying to me. but like in your case and mine. snowy roads is the most that suv will ever see for the most part.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wife had a tearful parting with her tdi Jetta and was still overwhelmed at what the crv has for options gizmos and gadgets neither of are used to. Going to be a bit of a learning curve figuring out what this thing has to offer and how to use it.?

Wife posing with the new ride right after leaving the dealership 

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

I hope so too, this thing is 100% drive by wire and everything is electronic and touch screens ect. I am going to get Honda care extended warranty for it to cover us to 6 years 120K miles, zero deductible plan will run around $900+- if purchased within the first 6 months or 6k miles.

• Staff

What gets me about those extended warranties is you pay for a 5 or 6 year extended warranty but the first 1to 3 years there is the factory warranty.  It's like having two warranty policies at the same time.  It would make more sense if the extra warranty policy didn't start until the factory on expired. 

Make sure the warranty covers the electronics, leaking seals and gaskets .  I worked at dealers for over 20 years.  A car would come in with a rear main crankshaft seal leaking.  The owner thought that the extended warranty would cove it.  When we'd submit a claim to the warranty company it would be denied. The extended warranty would only cover hard parts like cam shaft, pistons, ect.    

• Like 1

It is near half price to buy if one buys it before 6 months and or 6k miles on the vehicle too.

Just got to thinking and now I am down to only one diesel vehicle again, first time since 04 when we bought the 03 jetta and had the 02 cummins and then had the 05 cummins so had 3 diesels for a while and no gassers on the place now the 2005 cummins is alone amongst 3 gassers. 

Edited by Wild and Free

Nice ride and nice price on the extended warranty. That is alot cheaper than the one I got on the wife's 06 Dakota. Never had to use it. Any way nice ride ant the lady looks pretty happy too. Maybe you ought to put a NO DIESEL FUEL sticker on the gas cap. Old habits die hard some times.

• Like 1