• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

If you could go back in time when your truck only had 63K miles

Hey everyone I have been doing a ton of research lately trying to figure out what upgrade I want to do on my truck. I have looked over many different threads regarding injectors however these threads are almost 8 years old now.  I have also been following the Quadzilla V2 threads very closely and recently purchased the iQuadBT.  Like most guys I have gotten the thirst for more horsepower.  I am on a limited budget and I am still looking for a reliable daily driver.  So my question to you is, if you guys could go back and start with a truck that only had 63,000 miles on it what would you upgrade next?

Here is my list of upgrades(for now):

1.  5 inch Turbo back exhaust 

2.  BHAF

3. FASS 150

4. Quadzilla V2

5. Bean Sump

For some reason I cannot figure out my signature but my truck is a 99, 53 block five speed with only 63,000 miles. 

Edited by JDHudsn

I guess that depends on what your goals are.  If you want move than 350 hp then it is injector and turbo time.  

For me I would run my setup all day long.  I absolutely love how my truck drives.   I am smoke free put down great power and have no trouble breaking 24 mpg down the highway.  I am going to pass emissions this year and likely put 375 + hp down when they do the test lolol.....

• Like 1

I think the first thing i would do is stand back and marvel that my truck only had 63000 miles on it. I passed that in mid 2004.

The 5" is not necessary unless you are looking for a lot more, a whole lot more. Unless you just want it, it wont hurt anything. Mr Nelson, the site owner, still has his stock 3". I put 4" on mine back in 05 and it is more than enough for what I have.

BhAF Definitely

Fass 150 or equivalent definitely

Quad definitely

Some bigger injectors. What size depends on what you want to do over all. If you are leaving other things stock a set of RV275's or even up to maybe some 75 hp  would be good. I put a set of the RV's in mine many years ago and have been very happy with them. got a little bump in MPG. Id o have some 50 hp injectors I just installed and the jury is out on them as of yet. 

It all really depends on what you have in mind of where you want to go.

@Me78569  since we have the adjustability on the quad should I do injectors and then wait a little bit down the road to do head studs and the turbo?

@dripley  sorry for the confusion, the list of upgrades is stuff I have already done to the truck. So everyone knows what I'm working with. 

I definitely lucked out on finding a truck with such little miles truly a barn find LOL.  

Well using the Quad you can leverage larger injectors well.  You end up with a much broader fueling resolution, IE more control.  

You really should define some specific goals for your truck.  HP goals, use goals, Budget goals.   I know we all dream about twins and 600 + hp but most of use are more than happy at 300/350 hp lol.  

other then upgrading to the quad my truck is done performance wise.

My goals were 400+hp mpg tow rig.

The list I used is as fallows in the order I installed.

4" TBE with muffler. ( dad has 5" TBE no muffler, it sounds good but the drone drives us insane on long trips)

BHAF

Pyro, FP, Trans Temp, Boost Gauges.

GDP fuel boss,

Superchips 60hp programmer

Transmission upgraded, (after it started slipping)

DaP 100hp VCO injectors,

ARP studs ( not necessary but I didn't know what turbo I was going to go with and wanted to be safe.)

BD super B turbo. [ now days I would have gone with a SX-E ] (but wasn't available at the time)

I will be replacing the superchips with the quad in the future. I am upgrading my suspension and steering before I upgrade for more hp. Right now I would guess I am around 325hp and once I upgrade I am guessing I will be around 425HP.

:fsb:

@Me78569& @jlbayes  you guys are definitely right. Right now I am just looking for a few extra ponies under the hood, one day I will definitely be looking into getting a bigger turbo.  Or maybe I don't have to get a turbo if the injectors I get put out enough power.  If I am sitting at the 350 hp range that is totally fine by me.

I occasionally tow  Horse trailer (10K), camping trailer(5K), and a hunting trailer(3K).  I also own a jeep I would like to tow around one day as well. 

I did a ton of research before I bought the 5 inch exhaust I went with the 5 inch due to the sound. It's not too bad on the highway but if I get on it you can hear me coming. 

Budget right now is about $500-$700 for the next upgrade:thumbup2:

I'd drop a set of injectors in it that'll keep you around your goal power number.  50-75hp range is where I'd go but that's just me. 

Stock head gaskets on these hold up pretty well under some extreme conditions. Yes it's a good idea at some point, but I wouldn't even be thinking about it. 

If it were my truck at 63K I'd put a dual disc clutch in it, a 62/68/(12 or 14), studs, springs, pushrods, 125hp injectors, quad V2, fass 150 with Vulcan modified module, and run it.

Edited by TFaoro
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

sell it to an idiot for way way way too much money?

That or ppump swap and auto swap. Then beat the snot outta it.

3 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Probably cut a hole in the hood, because hood stack is LIFE

Funny part is I tell everyone that is considering one NOT to put one on. Freaking hate mine.

51 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

I see that you're in San Diego.  When registration is up for renewal will you need a SMOG inspection.  If one is needed be careful of the upgrades.  Most performances boxes are not CARB compliant and any smoke from tailpipe other than at start up is a failure. 

Yeah for sure I would most definitely  have issues if I had a different chip however thanks to @Me78569  and the adjustability I get on my quad I am not too worried ?