• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Can I put an allison trans in a 01 dodge 2500?

I was thinking today why mess around with the junky 47rh auto trans if I could maby swap it out with an allison? I think fordcummins.com sells adapter for the cummins to mount up to an allison when you swap a psd with a cummins. I might be able to get my hands on an allison for pretty good price. Is this worth the trouble? Would I have to beef up the allison also to run BIG hp? I know my stock auto trans will not hold up to the power I am wanting to get. So I can either beef up the dodge trans or if I dont need to beef up the allison I could go with that. Any suggestion??? Just thought I would search around. Thanks

There is no advantage to the 1000 series Allison behind the Duramax. It is still an automotive tranny and is prone to all the same issues as our 47 re trannies and then some as they have an issue with planetaries going bad. They have heavier shafts but other than that they are not anymore durable. Same lame low pressures and week converters in the stock form. The newer Ford trannies are actualy the best of the 3. Not sure the model # of it off hand. If you are looking at a 500 series allison from medium duty trucks or buses they have no lockup options for the converters and are not up the the added HP we are capable of.

There is no advantage to the 1000 series Allison behind the Duramax. It is still an automotive tranny and is prone to all the same issues as our 47 re trannies and then some as they have an issue with planetaries going bad. They have heavier shafts but other than that they are not anymore durable. Same lame low pressures and week converters in the stock form. The newer Ford trannies are actualy the best of the 3. Not sure the model # of it off hand. If you are looking at a 500 series allison from medium duty trucks or buses they have no lockup options for the converters and are not up the the added HP we are capable of.

Yea thats where I was going to get it was off a bus that has the 5.9l Cummins and the allison. That should be able to just swap out I would think since a 5.9l Cummins is a 5.9l CUmmins even thought there in a dodge.

Yea thats where I was going to get it was off a bus that has the 5.9l Cummins and the allison. That should be able to just swap out I would think since a 5.9l Cummins is a 5.9l CUmmins even thought there in a dodge.

If you are close to stock power they are fine but having 4 gears with no lockup and no OD you will kill the milage and gain nothing from it other than running 2500 rpms to go 55 mph. http://www.atlanticdda.com/transmissions/at545_specification_sheet.cfm

Well maby I wont. Will a triple disc billet torque converter handle anything I can throw at it. Not going to be running anthing over 430HP. 800 some FT LB of torque.

Iv'e been running a BD single disc at 560 hp and 986 tq for several years and sled pull quite often and tow 10-12k regulary.

I thought an auto could hold more HP. Maby I am wrong.:shrug:

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Not sure I am mechanically inclined enough to swap a auto with a standard. It would probually cost more to do a swap than to get a billet converter i would think.:shrug:

• Owner

I thought an auto could hold more HP. Maby I am wrong.:shrug:

Actually no sorry to say the Autos are weaker... Until you invest some serious money into them...

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Not sure I am mechanically inclined enough to swap a auto with a standard. It would probually cost more to do a swap than to get a billet converter i would think.:shrug:

I was giving you crap about the swap... :tongue: (But you took it :whistle:) :lmao2:

Actually it would be better to just do a TC and VB and get good ones... Then it should hold up for quite a while... :thumbup2:

I was giving you crap about the swap... :tongue: (But you took it :whistle:) :lmao2: Actually it would be better to just do a TC and VB and get good ones... Then it should hold up for quite a while... :thumbup2:

OH yep you got me :thumbup2:. I would like to have an standard but the dealer sold the one I wanted that had a 6 speed in it. ANYTHING was better than the 6.0l powerstroke I traded off. So you all think a TC and a valve body with help. BTW What does a valve body do anyway??:shrug:

. BTW What does a valve body do anyway??:shrug:

It increases oil flow and increases pressures and can change shift points a bit but makes shifts more crisp/faster. there are shift kits that can improve shift points but most of the bigger tranny shops do several mods to the VB to increase the flows where an aftermarket over the counter kits won't get you to the quality of a built vb.
  • Like 1