• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VP44 mounting stud size and flange nut

Hi all,

I have searched and searched for this info and I don't believe I have the answer. I need help.

Short version: I need to replace stud and flange nut that hold my VP44 on. What sizes are they? How do I find them?

Long version:

I have been slower than molasses working on my VP44 replacement as I am not dependent on my truck for a living any longer. I went out to try and finish up. I lost one of the flange nuts that hold the pump to the mount. No big deal, I'll take an original to the parts store and get another. Well, it has turned into an ordeal. They tried it and said it was a 3/8" x 16tpi. Ok, order in 2, please. They come. I try it...it feels way too tight and I don't want to mess it up. I run into town to search for something different. Parts store has a crazy long line and 1 man working. So I grab the cable with all the example pieces to try your nuts on...found the one the original worked on. 3/8"x16tpi. Put the new one on it, and it worked too. Decided that I must have just been overly cautious, thus costing me an hour.

I drive back home and try to crank it on, deciding the old stud must be a little too rusty and the new is catching. I did spritz it with some WD-40 first. Nope...not the right size. I try to back it off and the stud backs off. I take it out to disassemble and figure this out. I cannot get the nut off. Doh!

All that to get to here. I thought I found the right part list here http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=666948&ukey_make=1062&ukey_model=15505&modelYear=1999&ukey_category=20311 as this is a diagram of the VP44 and mounting gear. According to it, that hex flange nut is a M10 x 1.5. I called the parts store here and they could get one like that, but the head was 13mm. My OEM nut takes a 15mm.

I can't believe how hard it is to find this information. If I am missing an obvious resource, please direct me. My downloaded copy of the parts look-up list isn't working. And my donation status shows at zero even though I have donated before. I'll go use the look up and add the part numbers I find later.

Thanks for any help.

Image result for injection pump-to-gear housing mounting nuts vp44

That should be a flange nut at the #1 arrow. And the stud that nut goes on....these are the two things I buggered up.

Thanks for the help!

I found the look up tool. Duh.

It ways the flange nut is a M10 x 1.5. But there are no specs for the stud. I know the one end needs to match that, but not sure if it is the same specs, the length, etc. I'm going through O'Reilly's and may look at Auto Zone to see what they have with those sizes that look close. The tool has part num 0476150 for the stud, but that doesn't return anything for me in Google or on O'reilly's site.

But I know someone already has this information. Any help appreciated. I want my truck back.

Edited by jamman

I THINK they are a M10x1.5. if not, they are probably a coarse thread M8. 

If you have an ace hardware or home depot anywhere near, take one of the nuts and head to the metric aisle. From there you should be able to figure out what it is. 

• Like 1

• Staff

Why not call Cummins engine to see if they have them in stock? At least now you have the stud in hand to see if its correct size.

I recently posted too much about my first gen as if it the experiences would apply to a 24 valve. People so nice around here they should have told me to shut up or got on my case in some other way. They didn't :think:.

Anyhow it's interesting the VP44 is much the same as the VE pump on the bottom half. The nuts on my VE first gen dodge are 13mm nuts but doesn't mean the nuts are the same on a VP44. I would just make a run to Cummins but call first to make sure they have them.

Edited by JAG1

• Owner
9 hours ago, jamman said:

And my donation status shows at zero even though I have donated before.

Different donation management software. When was your last donation?

Way I've checked nut sizes is find a bolt that easily threads into the nut. Then now you can get the nut to match the thread and pitch of the bolt you now have that fits the OEM nut. 

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

I recently posted too much about my first gen as if it the experiences would apply to a 24 valve. People so nice around here they should have told me to shut up or got on my case in some other way. They didn't :think:.

I am chalking this one up to feeble mind syndrome. I seem to have it too. I believe it is incurable.:whistle:

• Staff

I'd go to Napa with the old stud.  There they will be able to measure it (pitch, diameter and length) and either have one close in size, same pitch and diameter but slightly longer would work, or order it.  If they don't have any available you will at least know the size. 

If you just want to order them straight away try this place  .http://www.enterpriseengine.com/product/injection-pump-mounting-stud-p-7100-vp-44/  

9 hours ago, dripley said:

I am chalking this one up to feeble mind syndrome. I seem to have it too. I believe it is incurable.:whistle:

I hope this isn't contagious!    58b606b8b283f_animated-smileys-thinking-371.gif.47d5f4a2eb89f9f4dd7955f000c44bda.gif

• Like 1

• Staff
12 hours ago, dripley said:

It's curable as long as the truck has no problems otherwise it's :ahhh::doh::broke::pray::think::mad: and call Mike for the ten thousandth time. Poor guy never gets a break.

Reasons I been like that.....

Work truck breaks down in middle of major remodel job.

Mike says injectors, so I put in new ones but it's got major fuel leaks from over tightened delivery valves back of injection pump.

Now need new injection pump.

Guy puts in injection pump but high pressure lines now leaking.

Remove front I/P bracket to get to lines and tighten.

Found front bracket put in wrong and one lost bolt in process so straighten that out.

Now major idle problem with big blue smoke

Go to Snap On get right tools to retime I/P. Bolts were loose holding I/P in place.

Pull mechanical lift pump and find linkage broke inside. No fuel pressure. Change lift pump with same crappy pump from Cummins. Add fuel pressure gauge but

dropped RPM gauge in the process so now not working.

Pull cover off Turbo and look, found bad oil seal and oil going to intercooler. Pull turbo and goes to rebuilder tomorrow.

Use second gen to take in Turbo and start it up since not run for a couple weeks and it's got error codes. Tell me I'm not crazy....Poor Mike I haven't left him alone with calls and it's pretty bad when your donation morphs into consultation fees.:doh:.

Oh Yeah! somewhere in between all this we pulled the gear cover off andfinally tabbed the KDP at 425,000 miles:doh: only cause it needed a new crank seal. All that went very well:thumb1:

Did I forget to tell you that I wrecked my nice Trucks antenna, using it for work by forgetting to unplug the block heater and driving off :whistle2: I don't think you guys will want me around at the Eclipse camp..

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 3

I did not have the stud out. This was a case of trying to use what was out. The original nut was lost, another was taken, the replacement the parts store said was correct and ordered I jammed on a stud after "checking" it on the string of sample nuts/bolts at parts store. I then decided maybe the stud was dirty and lets shoot it with WD and just work it. So I ended up with a jammed nut on a stud and it baked the stud out. I came on here to ask for information as I know it has to be out there and I was trying to get the parts store to order it in before they closed so I could pick it up today.

Today I had a stud, with jammed nut halfway on it. I ended up buying a set screw with allen head, 55 mm or so long, in M10 x 1.5. It has a double shoulder, and I measured from the middle to the clear side and it was right around 27mm and they looked symmetrical instead of offset. I installed that and it seems to have worked. I got the injector lines reattached tonight and was speeding ahead except now I'm not positive on a few connections. My phone died after I started this, and of course, by "before" photos were on that. So I'll be looking at some folks photos and videos as well as my manual. I have most back, but there are a couple things I'm uncertain about.

So, in short....M10 x 1.5 and approx. 55 mm long. Mine were all 15 mm socket to fit the head, not 13 mm.

Mike, I think it was March/April, but maybe I'm wrong. I went ahead and sent a small donation again anyway.

I'm going to reattach everything, then work on installing the big line kit I got from Eric at Vulcan to feed that VP44 better. I forget if I bought line to run all the way to the tank.

Then I need to get the transmission cooler line kit from here on the site.