• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Opti-lube xl and xdp

What are yalls opinions on opti lube I have been using it and seems to smooth out idle and motor seems to run better than with just the 2 stroke oil I have run in the past. It is little expensive but has better lubricity results from past studies

yes sir, you fellas know better than me. The 2 stroke is available almost anywhere and cheap but opti-lube and it is suppose to help keep your injectors clean at same time, and takes less per tank so it should actually be cheaper in the long run. Just figured I would buy a few gallons and test it out. Like I said seems to have smoother idle and less smoke.

I just figured I would try it, I have read on other forums that guys running 2 stroke for 100k and more miles they have more  build up on top of there pistons than normal than trucks running just straight diesel.- but this is just what I read, cant believe every thing you read on internet.

Edited by 2001cummins
add

• Owner

The only thing I don't like about Opti-lube is that is mostly a cetane booster too. As you adding more cetane to the fuel you reducing the BTU's. As BTU's go down so does the MPG's Hence why every winter we fight lower MPG numbers because of higher cetane fuels. On the other hand 2 cycle oil is a natural cetane reduced and adds back to the BTU content.

cetane-btu.jpg.6070b8d746a2236e3315437a7

Edited by Mopar1973Man

thanks, I was thinking the xl was mainly a lube like the 2 cycle oil was just was suppose to have an injector cleaner in it also- don't believe any cetane is added to that one.

The only neg I see so far is the xdp has a strong smell similar to Power service stuff. The xl is not near as strong. Have to keep this stuff in the tool box unlike the 2 stroke I just keep it in the truck already pre measured out.

• Owner
3 minutes ago, 2001cummins said:

just was suppose to have an injector cleaner in it also- don't believe any cetane is added to that one.

If it's got injector cleaner it going to be a cetane booster. If you look at all the solvents that "clean injectors" its going to have the same effect of cetane booster. Also there is no such thing as injector cleaner in a bottle. "Period" 

http://opti-lube.com/downloads/MSDS/DFI-XL-MSDS.pdf

You might want to look at the MSDS sheet. Xylene is a PPD (pour point depressant) also used in cetane boosters. Common paint thinner. Petroluem Naptha is basically Coleman Fuel. 

Coleman Fuel - http://www.nafaa.org/Coleman_MSDS.pdf

So as I've just pointed out there is several things in Opti-lube that will alter cetane rating of the fuel. 

Image result for xylene

2poqhz8.jpg

I dont know about the tops of my pistons, but I just changed out my injectors with 150k on them. There is hardly any build up on them mostly just black. that was running 2 stroke the entire time. I have also run a lot bio diesel thru during those miles. B-20 and less.

Well looks like I should of came to yall first before I bought into the whole lubricity testing done on this stuff a few years back. I guess I will use both back and forth till I run out, then will go back to my 2 stoke oil- like yall said lot easier to get your hands on. Live and learn I guess.

Don't worry about it! I did the same thing, except I was already using 2stroke and thought the optilube might work better just based on the HFRR score but the more I looked into it (basically what was just said in this thread) made me realize that I'd prefer just running 2stroke.

• Owner

I will quote again from the ASTM testing labs...

There is no benefit to using a higher cetane number fuel than is specified by the engine's manufacturer. The ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states, "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to ensure maximum fuel availability." 

As you'll see between winterized fuel that is high cetane vs. low cetane of the summer time...

Dark green 133-134K BTU's for summer fuel at about 43 cetane.

Light Green 126K BTU's for winter fuel at about 54 cetane.

cetane-btu3.jpg.718cdb12cd43873ccaa0be5d

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 3

• Staff
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 0:38 PM, dripley said:

I dont know about the tops of my pistons, but I just changed out my injectors with 150k on them. There is hardly any build up on them mostly just black. that was running 2 stroke the entire time. I have also run a lot bio diesel thru during those miles. B-20 and less.

How come I saw 6 big glops of carbon layin' on your driveway after you pulled 'em? :whistle2:

Mike are the newer diesels more positively affected by cetane boosters? A guy I work with is a power stroke guy and he swears by his cetane booster. I think he has an 08 but he's constantly saying he's getting much better fuel mileage then without, and he's not the lying/overembelishing type either.

• Owner
7 hours ago, notlimah said:

Even with the EGR and newer electronics and all?

:lmao:

Ummm... EGR all you doing is flooding the air mixture with CO2. Everyone is so wrap up with cold air having denser charge of oxygen but then accept the idea of EGR pump exhaust gases and CO2 back in the intake. Then you got to have the EGR cooler to make sure the intake temps do get out of hand.  (sarcasm) Yeah, EGR is such a great device every truck needs one! (/sarcasm)

EGRhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

Nicely packed up intake on a 6.7L Cummins...

Image result for cleaning out intake manifold egr cummins

Electronics look at the 2003 and up Dodge's you'll see the multi-injection event is not as efficient and also the timing it heavily retarded. So there is no extra power really here. They managed to take a million mile engine and turn it into a about 200-300k mile engine that is completely wore out. 

After doing a full delete on 6.7L and see the results. I can tell you all you newer electronics and EGR is not helping the engine in any way. Being the deleted truck has way more power and ran much cleaner without the EGR and DPF

So with all the losses of the newer electronics and EGR more loss of fuel BTU's... I really don't see how high cetane fuel will gain you anything...

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

• Staff

That's sad.

How's that going to help anybody? My 1992 12 valve has helped me on remodels and new construction for almost 21 years. Same engine. It helped build our home. It hauled as much stuff as I should never been puttin' on there. I did jobs in California when jobs got skinny. It  helped me buy the 2002 and helped pay it off

What kind of reasoning is that crap above? It does no good whatsoever and just stupid.

Sorry for the rant. :mad:

Edited by JAG1

13 hours ago, JAG1 said:

How come I saw 6 big glops of carbon layin' on your driveway after you pulled 'em? :whistle2:

That was oil from from the leaking front engine seal. If you would come by you could help me fix them.

• Like 2