• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Sign in to follow this  
ARenaissanceishMAn

Donaldson 551315 for air dog, Problem?

Went to install new filter and water separator on my airdog today. I'm putting a bit of oil on the brand new donaldson 551315 filter right out of the plastic wrap and I notice the inside looks like this. Now I'm now mechanic or anything, I don't know much but to me that looks messed up. Looks like that rubber seal or what ever it is, is not installed right or slipped out or something.. I suppose it made like that for some reason and thats why I'm posting. Please let me know what you think, thank you.

IMG_2610-1.JPG

IMG_2611-1.JPG

IMG_2612-1.JPG

IMG_2613-1.JPG

IMG_2614-1.JPG

IMG_2615-1.JPG

Edited by ARenaissanceishMAn
add pictures

I am no filter expert by any means but I have to agree that does not look right. Either something has come apart or something foreign is in there. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dripley said:

I am no filter expert by any means but I have to agree that does not look right. Either something has come apart or something foreign is in there. 

My luck, I swear..

I am running the same filter and looking at a spare and see that piece is not in the proper place. The smaller diameter part I can see looking thru the threaded hole.  The larger diameter part should be seen in the smaller holes around the perimeter of the filter. I has to be a seal to keep fuel from bypassing the filter media as best i can determine. Looks like a reject to me even if I am wrong on its purpose.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, dripley said:

I am running the same filter and looking at a spare and see that piece is not in the proper place. The smaller diameter part I can see looking thru the threaded hole.  The larger diameter part should be seen in the smaller holes around the perimeter of the filter. I has to be a seal to keep fuel from bypassing the filter media as best i can determine. Looks like a reject to me even if I am wrong on its purpose.

Yea I assumed it was F'ed up.. Where did you purchase yours from? I got mine on amazon, sent them an email. Well see if they send me a new one, with my luck probably not. Thanks for your reply.

11 minutes ago, ARenaissanceishMAn said:

Yea I assumed it was F'ed up.. Where did you purchase yours from? I got mine on amazon, sent them an email. Well see if they send me a new one, with my luck probably not. Thanks for your reply.

http://www.filterspro.com They have some good pricing there. Get my oil filers there too.

That is definitely a bad filter.  Looks like an inner seal slipped over when the bottom was crimped on to the canister.

Amazon is good about making thing right.  I bought an ignition part that was supplied by some one else but purchased through Amazon.  I ordered it on November 3, with free shipping and coming from Turkey, was to be delivered by December 16,  December 22, asked for refund.   I received credit to my account on December 29.  The part show up on February 3 and I sent it back.  Never a problem from Amazon while the people in Turkey told me to "keep checking my mail".  If Amazon filled the order there should be no problem at all.

• Like 1

Here is what I got from Filterspro if you want to compare pricing. Was the cheapest i found at the time.

Not knocking Amazon, I buy things there also.

• Like 1