• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help-Cummins Down............

Hey Guys, New to the Forum, but not new to Cummins diesel trucks. I limped my Cummins home on idle as this is all it would do. 2002 Dodge Cummis 4x4 6 speed manual. Basically stock, except for Smarty programmer and Airdog 100 fuel pump along with pillar gauges to monitor. 

Host of codes showing up when I read them off my Smarty programmer. I swear I have a bad ground or something of that nature, but I don't know where else to look. I'm almost at my wits end!

Things I have already done:

Cleaned battery terminals both batteries.

Replaced APPS with Timbo

Replaced MAP sensor-Factory Cummins part

Replaced IAT sensor -Factory Cummins part

Truck will not rev. up. If it does it will only rev. for a few seconds then "cut out". Rough idle like never before.

CEL light lit up along with temp. gauge going "crazy" right to 240 degrees at "start up" then goes back to "zero" back and forth. Then "Check Engine " light comes on and goes off.

These are the codes I'm pulling:

P1488-Aux. 5 volt too low

P0606-ECM failure

P0575-Cruise switch failure shorted

P0342- Dont know what this is?

P1286- Don't know what this is?

P0562-Charging system too low 

P0117-ETC sensor too low

I don't know where else to look or do? I think I have a bad ground somewhere? Please help. Thank you!

• Owner
10 hours ago, winch_warrior said:

P1488-Aux. 5 volt too low

P0606-ECM failure

P0575-Cruise switch failure shorted

P0342- Dont know what this is?

P1286- Don't know what this is?

P0562-Charging system too low 

P0117-ETC sensor too low

First off you need a new ECM. Then second off you need to test for excessive AC noise from the alternator. 

• Like 2

OK. What's the best route to go with the ECM? New or rebuilt? Aftermarket? Factory OEM?

Lots of info. on the interweb about ECM's and Dodge Cummins trucks.................Some people saying you can just get another ECM from a junk yard and have your Cummins dealer reflash it for your truck?   Is any of this true?

Just looking for the best route to go with the best dependability so I don't have to do this again......it's expensive. Give me some feedback please.

• Owner
3 minutes ago, winch_warrior said:

OK. What's the best route to go with the ECM? New or rebuilt? Aftermarket? Factory OEM?

There is the only choice of rebuilt. There is no aftermarket ECM that I know of and ECM are no longer manufactured at all.

4 minutes ago, winch_warrior said:

Some people saying you can just get another ECM from a junk yard and have your Cummins dealer reflash it for your truck?

How are you to know that the ECM you just picked from a junkyard up isn't already fried from AC noise from a bad alternator? 

You can't buy ECM's from Cummins because of a license agreement set by Dodge. Neither can Cummins do any reflashing of ECM because of EPA regulation and also once again license agreement by Dodge. 

• Owner

That's hard to do... I would look in your local area and find out what is available. Like up here in Idaho I've got Module Masters that might be able to handle a ECM. So folks mention Go ECM as a rebuilder but all have pro's and con's. Basically I would look for a local module builder and then ask about turn around time and warranty coverage. 

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That's hard to do... I would look in your local area and find out what is available. Like up here in Idaho I've got Module Masters that might be able to handle a ECM. So folks mention Go ECM as a rebuilder but all have pro's and con's. Basically I would look for a local module builder and then ask about turn around time and warranty coverage. 

bingo

OK. This is an awesome information site! Thank You!

Can you please explain the need to test for excessive AC noise from the alternator.  I can see the "deer in the headlight look" when I ask my local auto parts store to test for this.

Or is this something I can do?

Edited by winch_warrior

8 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

There is the only choice of rebuilt. There is no aftermarket ECM that I know of and ECM are no longer manufactured at all.

How are you to know that the ECM you just picked from a junkyard up isn't already fried from AC noise from a bad alternator? 

You can't buy ECM's from Cummins because of a license agreement set by Dodge. Neither can Cummins do any reflashing of ECM because of EPA regulation and also once again license agreement by Dodge. 

I replaced my ECM about 6 years ago. It has a Cummins sticker with part #'s on it. The mechanic that got it installed told me it came from Cummins. I was pretty ignorant about the ECM's and took him at his word. So why the Cummins logo on the sticker? I see some like but most are not.

I went the rebuild route prior to this with a company called ASI. It was a very bad and expensive experience. Do your research and get a good warranty. I wish someone to recommend. If I was shopping for one I would at least give Cummins a shout. Maybe the guy that did mine lied to me.

Here is a link to one that looked like mine. Not promoting the company, I know nothing about them. My OE did not look like this. 

https://www.autocomputerexchange.net/288/dodge-ecm-ram-truck-2000-5-9l-i6-cummins-diesel.html?gclid=CKfciP31xtICFQS2wAod5JMMEA

9 hours ago, winch_warrior said:

So with a "rebuilt" ECM, and If I install the ECM, will I still have to take my truck to the local Dodge dealer ?

Will the Dodge dealer need to do anything else to the "rebuilt" ECM?

The dealer will likely need to reflash it to your vin.

OK Guys......need some more input. I just got back from my local Cummins dealer. The service writer tells me they can "test" my ECM to see if it's good or bad. Then he proceeds to tell me that 9 times out of 10 that if my truck runs (which it does) that it's NOT the ECM?????   Like I posted earlier, my truck will just idle. Won't rev up. I told the service writer it's throwing the 0606 ECM failure code and he said it doesn't matter. He said it's probably something else.  

Should I even go back to get my ECM tested ?  Is this Cummins service writer just being ignorant or what? What else would it be if it's throwing a 0606 ECM failure code?  HELP.