• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

(2001 3/4 ton, I have disk on mine)  Probably 99.999 people already now this, but just in case   I had probably 30-40% meat left, but my sliding bolt in right rear caliper kept getting stuck or dragging and was not letting the brake release all the way. So I changed the right rear only. 

After changing I looked at the mess of stuff near the master cylinder and thought surly this thing has a limiting valve or proportioning valve. Well mine does have a front and rear valves but no adjustment side to side, like good size trucks do. 

Left Seattle pulling 9,000 pound trailer.  Made it to LA but in stop and go traffic, lots of smoke and stink.  No problem over any pass between Seattle an LA.  (B&D exhaust brake) But stop and go traffic in LA was a big problem.  Wife kept looking out her mirror asking "are you sure nothing is wrong?"

My answer..."Don't worry honey, the smoke and stink is just Calif fuel and our truck is just not used to it.  Just look at the exhaust pipe, see all the blue smoke?"  

Made it passed downtown and bad areas and stopped little bit south of Buena Park. I let it sit for about 2 hours then onward very close to my kids trailer shop in Orange (near Disneyland).  Son hasn't let me forget what a bad mechanic I am.:doh:

My son ended up having to re-do my job. The "re-built" calipers came mud on them, but at least the mud was spray painted same color as caliper:mad: 

Like moparman said, remove the caliper, remove 2 bolts that hold retainer and rotor is ready to be pulled off.  As Me asked, I think the retainer bolts may be allen but sorry I don't remember.  I did all 4 last year including caliper.  Pretty easy.  Good luck

L8tr

D

I used the old man buzzard trick. Haha. Used and extension and over size socket up against the hub bolt and knuckle. Started the truck turned the wheel. Pop right out. 

Once the hub and rotor assembly is out. I beat the wheel studs out with a brass hammer. 3 or 4 blows. Studs came right out. The hub and rotor come right apart. 

I used the power steering to pop my wheel bearings out. Wish I had known about it the first time I did it. Liked to never got them out the first time. Anti seize has kept that from happening again. Happy to hear it was not bad for you.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...