• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Brace Box

I would have to agree with everyone that the brace is not going to stop it. I put on years to help with wandering. It may of helped a little. Never experienced DW until years later on an old set tires. New tires stopped for me. My track bar going south at the time also so I replaced that. worn front end part do not help either.

• Like 1

• Owner

I'm at 289k miles now home stretch to 300k miles. Never experienced death wobble on my truck yet. Steering is still tight. Still running factory steering box and tie rods ends. Only changed 1 set of ball joints and one track bar. No steering brace on my truck at all. Use quite a bit offroad and no issues to date. Mostly it's about being pro-active about steering issues not lets the little things all adding up to create the death wobble. 

• Like 1

Yeah, my '95 12v 4x4 Reg cab drives straight as an arrow and always has. 

My '99 24v dually has new(ish) tires all the way around and appear to be in great shape, hit a bump wrong with the play it has in the steering and the DW starts. I have to slam on brakes and/or turn the wheel "out of the play" to get it to stop. 

I do not doubt my front end is wore out. I've been in limbo over wether to tear it apart myself or take it somewhere and drop a grand (I'm sure!) to get a new front end. Seems like it should be easy but I know nothing about tie rods, Pittman arms, sway bars, drag links, etc!!!!

About 6 years ago I went in to get an alignment and was told I needed about $900 worth of work done to be able to align it. This was not replacing everything that you mention above. I ended up buying all the parts to rebuild the whole front end excluding the pittman arm. All new from there out including the ball joints. I spent close to $900 on parts and tools but ended up with a new front end.and about $200 in tools that have used for other purposes. As far as the work is concerned it is all pretty much bolt off and bolt on, not that difficult. It you have the original wheel bearings on they can be a challenge. The lower ball joints are tough too. I had to beat them since the ball joint press did not have a receiver cup that worked. It did work for the install. If you are handy with a wrench it is not that hard but you will spend some time doing. I probably spent 3 days doing mine but I like beer breaks when I have the time. You also have a 99 and mine is an 02 so I am not sure how different it would be but there are some differences between the 2. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2017 at 6:08 PM, leon said:

Got the death wobble going when I hit a bump wrong, so I suppose it's time for a brace box.  Is one as good as another, are they all the same or is there some to stay away from?

It would be best understanding what year/model truck you have, how many miles on it, whats done to it, and any other modifications which may allow members to help better. :thumbup2:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KATOOM said:

It would be best understanding what year/model truck you have, how many miles on it, whats done to it, and any other modifications which may allow members to help better. :thumbup2:

Does my signature not show my trucks listed in it? I thought I put them in there, and it shows on my profile. 

• Owner

The signature setting are up in your profile setting. Yo can access them by going to upper right clicking on your name. Then Account settings. Then select signature.

Or click this link...

https://mopar1973man.com/settings/signature/

Mopar1973Man.Com site shows signatures on mobile devices.

Capture+_2017-03-10-06-19-08.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• 7 months later...

Hey Guys,

I have a Lot of play in my steering...replaced the steering box, tie rods, track bar, both front wheel bearings, tie rods, bushings, intermediate steering shaft, and shocks

. Running 265/75/16 Goodyear  Wrangler DuraTrac tires with 5k miles on them.

Don't have wobble, just lots of play in the steering wheel.

Thinking about a box brace....

Suggestions on brand etc?

Thanks much in advance,

Ed

PS: Drove it from Orange County, NY to Klickitat County, WA. and feel like I did double the amount of steering that I used to do when it was younger.

The true point of the brace is in order to support the steering box shaft when subject to tires which are larger than what the truck rolled off the factory assembly line with.  The added stress placed on the steering box causes shaft deflection which stresses out the shaft bearing and seal, eventually causing a leak and/or a sloppy steering box shaft.  The other advantage of the brace is to prevent the frame from twisting where the steering box is mounted, which can add some play to the overall steering reaction.  But again, larger tires are the cause of that and if the tires are stock size or close to that then its likely you'll notice any gain.

Really the steering brace isnt for rejuvenating a sloppy steering system.  Most likely if there's excessive amounts of play then probably something else is wrong.

• Like 1