• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Looking at a first gen CTD to add to the fleet

Ok so this may be in the wrong place but we'll try anyway ok so I have kinda needed a plow truck and my auto in the 99 is hurting bad. I would like to keep it but with what I have put in the tranny and what I forsee in the future I am asking you guys If you had my truck that I have listed in my sig plus a lil rust would you sell it in exchange for a first gen with a plow 120,000 fully loaded pw,pl,cc and a stick for six grand and I ought to be able to get eight for mine now I know the getrag isnt impressive which was the other question the guy has a six speed for it and bell housing pedals clutches sensors all of it out of a 2003 5.9 24 valve he seemed to think you would be able to convert it all of it was included with the truck I am going to take a look at it tomorow and get more pics but here is the one he sent me

Posted Image Let me know what you think thanks in advance,

Ben

Supposedly, if you over fill the getrags a quart and do something with an oil slinger, they end up lasting longer and aren't to bad to have.The 6 speed would last longer and probably be a wiser thing to do. Just have to get a clutch to hold up to the constant backing up and going forward abuse.

Thanks for the tips isx will a south bend hold up pretty well and also I'm only looking to be in the 270-320hp range I dont know what my torque would be but I'd say 600 or less I'm still kinda new to Cummins motors I do know it will need to be able to handle a 20 k gooseneck which is probably why my auto is toast :lmao: other wise I'll just tweek up the 99 and fix up the body. what do you think a twelve valve can do for hp/tq wise while still keeping about 18-23mpg As always thanks in advance

• Owner

Like Taz here has a 92 dodge with a NV4500 tied to the flywheel... It appears to be a very easy swap if needed... But I've also heard the same thing ISX mention about over filling by a extra quart through the top... As for the oil slinger I've never heard of that but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to invest a little time to make it bullet proof! :smart::thumbup2:

I don't know where I read about the slinger thing, something about either bending one that is there or putting one in to get the oil really going. Obviously they need more oil slinging around. I think south bend clutches are all rated for more than what you want so it will be fine. As for mileage, your right foot is what makes or breaks it. Just because you turned it up doesn't mean it takes more fuel to do 60mph.. It has the ability to use more fuel to get to 60, or dump it out the exhaust in the form of black smoke lol, but even that can be controlled, all with your right foot. Mine went from stock to probably around 700-800ftlbs which is almost twice the tq from stock, and my mileage never moved, driving consistently based on seat of pants will keep your mileage rock solid no matter what mods are on it.

Sweet that makes sense when you think about also considering my truck mpg has only gone up with the mods I've done to it lol by the way the truck drove super this morning and its an nv5600 6 speed and all its parts in the back so I think I would want to sell that spare tranny and parts and try to get my hands on a nv4500 unless you think you can make a decent trannny from the 5600 I know there parts are getting harder to come by does that mean its probably worth less than a good nv4500?

The NV4500 is definitely more driveable than a NV5600. I drove a 24V 6spd a couple times and I always thought it was just a PITA having to shift so much, not to mention having to get a feel for where 3rd and 5th were since they are both in the middle. As far as which one will hold up more, this is debateble. Statistically the NV5600 is rated for more, but if you talk to truck pullers it just becomes a toss up. However, this is up in the 1000TQ+ range when you even get to either trans' limits, so if 600tq is all the power you want, get whatever one you think you need. There is a little gap between 3rd and 4th on the NV4500 that the NV5600 fills, the NV4500 also has the 5th gear nut issue, which I really don't think is much of an issue. Seems to come off every 100k, though I don't think Mike has ever had his come off as far as I have read. If it were me, I would get the NV4500. For as many times in a year that I pull a *heavy* trailer, I have no need or want, for a 6speed. NV4500 is also 100lbs lighter. So basically it doesn't really matter, just comes down to if you want to have an extra gear or not..

• Like 1

Thanks much isx I think that just about solves that I'm leaning toward the nv4500 simply because I really dont like doing alot of shifting and the trailer is not huge by any means and it only tags along 2 maybee three times a month other than that its usually a 8000 tandem axle 20' enclosed trailer and that 3to four days out of the weak so its towing often just not heavy often and a simple nut issue is easy to work around now comes finding one locally which right now is the main deciding factor :lol: my only qualm is going from a quad cab to a reg cab who knows my auto may still become a stick just because its cheaper and either way its a bit of work

Regular cab kinda sucks since you can't lean back, but I guess you should be sitting up straight if your driving anyways :lol:The jump from 3rd to 4th really isn't much of an issue really, just hold 3rd up in the RPM's a little longer and your fine. There's people that pull 20-30k with them so that's definitely saying something about how much of an "issue" it is :whistle:I've heard parts are harder to find and more expensive for the NV5600 too, so if we have both heard that then it must be right. Though I wouldn't think much of something like that since you probably won't be changing anything but the clutch.

Thanks much now comes the true million dollar question do I cut my losses and put a stick in my 99 and fix up the body cost=roughly 5-6k redo the auto with a Goerend unit and all components that ever saw tranny fluid replace with new stock or upgraded parts (lines coolers etc.) and fix the body cost= roughly 7-9k or sell it for 7500 and replace it with a first gen of some type there is a 2wd stick extra cab dually with a cummins near me but it was no where as clean as the 250 and would almost need a new interior :banghead: the only thing I hate more than body work :lol: the last is probably going to cost the same as putting a stick in my 99 and I will lose money on the 99 due to what I have put into it :shrug: really between a rock and a hard place on this one

I would think a built auto would be the best for plowing, one with a good cooler. Not sure though. 24V's are much nicer in winter because of all the sensors they have. I told Mike once if it was winter I would take a 24V any day, in the summer it's just a toss up. I do enjoy having a lot of control over it though, but it's more of a hassle in winter. It's safe to say on a summer day, a 12V is set up perfectly. But in the winter, things change, it takes longer to warm up and idle is way down. After it warms up I guess they would be back to summer day conditions, but it seems you would be doing that daily and a 24V would be so much nicer, not to mention you already have one :lol: one that you know whats been done to it and you have made it better and everything. I would just beef up the auto and call it good.

Sounds like I got myself a plan saying somebody came and looked at it this morning and paid cash after the test drive owell it will make a nice truck for someone now comes the fun part putting a plow mount on my truck and creating a new front bumper and brush guard to protect my lights and grill from those brown antlered things :lmao:4 this year alone and my truck shows it thats why I'm chicken to put a picture of it on my profile :lol: well at least I know I've got a bit of a summer project