• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Front Axle CAD Vacuum Actuator to Manual Posi Lock

Just got this coming https://m.summitracing.com/parts/POS-400

As mine is getting lazy and I always wanted 2wd low for backing up trailer. Does any one have one installed want to shear thoughts and pointers. I got it from summit as there are some China made out there. Hope I get the US made.

This is straight from Posilock site http://4x4posi-lok.com/genuine-4x4posi-lok.html

Edited by Dieselfuture

I've had mine for about 4 years and no real complaints. It can be a little screwy to get it engaged/disengaged but no worse than waiting for the vacuum cad. Just make sure you get it engaged before you need 4wd or you'll be trying to rock the truck back and forth while pulling on the knob and inventing new curse words.

To disengage: I've found that if you're rolling forward at slow speed hold inward pressure on the knob and stab the brake pedal a few times. Seems to help align things and pops right out. 

For routing the cable, I would go straight out from the firewall over the motor mount and make a long sweep down to the axle. Mine is routed differently and has some  tightish bends and that might be why it gets a little sticky sometimes. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

Are you going to use an air cylinder to operate CAD?

No, I'll probably keep the actuator. I'd like to implement one of these two drawings. I just haven't searched for what valves are available.  My issue is different though. My transfer case does not have a syncro in it, so it's impossible to put in in 4wd while moving. I'd like to be able to actuate the front axle during the winter that way I have 4wd on demand during the winter. 

IMG_20170314_193537587_zpscyjum8fn.jpg

I would prefer this one! Single switch. 

IMG_20170314_194041801_zpsilupfbpe.jpg

4 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

I am looking at something similar. Was a write up at TDR. Fella used a vacuum switch for a Honda I think. 

If you could find a link I'd really appreciate it!

I "think" this is the same concept as the 2low, but I'd have to see the schematics. 

6 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

Unsure how to link. I could email or text article to you. I am afraid to do too much, don't want to lose it!!

You can just copy and paste it in. If not, my email is tyfaoro@gmail.com

8 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

There must be a vent or factory system would not work, right?

There is. The factory block on the transfer case has vent, vacuum, then a line to the open side of the actuator and a line to the close side of the actuator. I need to eliminate that block though so I can engage it without putting it in 4wd. 

Somewhere in the past here I have seen a thread with a simple bypass of the vacuum the engages the 4wd and gives you 2 wheel low. Dont remember where I have seen it here but it exists maybe in the archives. Cant be that hard to do.

6 minutes ago, dripley said:

Somewhere in the past here I have seen a thread with a simple bypass of the vacuum the engages the 4wd and gives you 2 wheel low. Dont remember where I have seen it here but it exists maybe in the archives. Cant be that hard to do.

48 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Got it. http://dieseldatabase.com/two-wheel-drive-low/?id=10

This won't work though, because there is no vent. Without that, the actuator can't move. 

Click ^^^^^ link.