• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

trreed's upgrade thread

This thread is where I will post updates of my modifications, issues i've had, and potential upgrades I'm considering.  

This page is dedicated to @TFaoro, because without him my truck would be bone stock still....

To start off, today my VP died.  It took me by surprise, as it gave no indication there was an issue.  But, it threw Death Code P1691, and that's that.  Good thing it died before I bought tires.

Is DAP everyone's first choice for a new VP?

Edited by trreed
  • Like 1

• Owner
19 minutes ago, trreed said:

Is DAP everyone's first choice for a new VP?

Vulcan performance or DAP. Those are the two I would call for VP44 pump.

https://mopar1973man.com/forum/151-vulcan-performance/

https://mopar1973man.com/forum/149-diesel-auto-power/

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, trreed said:

DAP is who I went through for my injectors and other odds and ends, and they do have very good customer service.  And just under 1k for a VP is very fair, compared to other places I've seen

SO VP time... If you're strapped for cash there's a lot of used pumps for sale, but you never know how long it'll last. I'd recommend new, but it depends on what the bank says. 

That is the question.  I have a reman SO VP out of Tennessee lined up for 500, it's got 20k on it. But the guy who bought it never got a chance to use it (he bought it with 20k, then his trans died), so it's been sitting for a little bit (since February I think).  Thoughts?

37 minutes ago, trreed said:

That is the question.  I have a reman SO VP out of Tennessee lined up for 500, it's got 20k on it. But the guy who bought it never got a chance to use it (he bought it with 20k, then his trans died), so it's been sitting for a little bit (since February I think).  Thoughts?

Run from that one....

33 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I would error on the side of caution.  Get a new VP with a warranty and drive it hard for a month without tapping the pump.  

me too. Maybe even 2 months.

Wire tap or stealth plate. They are one in the same.

• Owner
9 hours ago, dripley said:

They both offer fairly equal pricing and warranties on their products. Neither build their own. I have dealt with both on other things and they have both treated me fairly. 

True both are just vendors.... BUT! Both sell injection pumps from Industrial Injection then DAP also sells Midwest Injection. Both companies have Bosch 815 test stands and are certified Bosch rebuilders.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TFaoro said:

Try to break it while it's under warranty! 

exactly, 

Like any other reman unit you run the risk of the rebuilder not spotting an issue with the pump,  so leave the wiretap undone to keep the warranty on it, then drive the snot out of it to verify that the vp44 can keep up.  Keep in mind that %75 of the possible fueling is actually done via canbus within the "65hp limit"  Wiretap only adds another %25 on top.   Keep in mind that on a stock truck 0-300 hp is canbus fueling and wiretap will add maybe another 100 hp on top (ricer math but te % really don't change much)

• Like 1