trreed

trreed's upgrade thread

92 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This thread is where I will post updates of my modifications, issues i've had, and potential upgrades I'm considering.  

 

This page is dedicated to @TFaoro, because without him my truck would be bone stock still....

 

To start off, today my VP died.  It took me by surprise, as it gave no indication there was an issue.  But, it threw Death Code P1691, and that's that.  Good thing it died before I bought tires.

 

Is DAP everyone's first choice for a new VP?

 

Edited by trreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, trreed said:

 

Is DAP everyone's first choice for a new VP?

 

Vulcan performance or DAP. Those are the two I would call for VP44 pump.

 

https://mopar1973man.com/forum/151-vulcan-performance/

 

https://mopar1973man.com/forum/149-diesel-auto-power/

Edited by Mopar1973Man
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They both offer fairly equal pricing and warranties on their products. Neither build their own. I have dealt with both on other things and they have both treated me fairly. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DAP is who I went through for my injectors and other odds and ends, and they do have very good customer service.  And just under 1k for a VP is very fair, compared to other places I've seen

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, trreed said:

DAP is who I went through for my injectors and other odds and ends, and they do have very good customer service.  And just under 1k for a VP is very fair, compared to other places I've seen

 

SO VP time... If you're strapped for cash there's a lot of used pumps for sale, but you never know how long it'll last. I'd recommend new, but it depends on what the bank says. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is the question.  I have a reman SO VP out of Tennessee lined up for 500, it's got 20k on it. But the guy who bought it never got a chance to use it (he bought it with 20k, then his trans died), so it's been sitting for a little bit (since February I think).  Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would error on the side of caution.  Get a new VP with a warranty and drive it hard for a month without tapping the pump.  

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, trreed said:

That is the question.  I have a reman SO VP out of Tennessee lined up for 500, it's got 20k on it. But the guy who bought it never got a chance to use it (he bought it with 20k, then his trans died), so it's been sitting for a little bit (since February I think).  Thoughts?

Run from that one....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I would error on the side of caution.  Get a new VP with a warranty and drive it hard for a month without tapping the pump.  

me too. Maybe even 2 months.

Wire tap or stealth plate. They are one in the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I would error on the side of caution.  Get a new VP with a warranty and drive it hard for a month without tapping the pump.  

Why drive it hard with out tapping pump?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Silverdodge said:

Why drive it hard with out tapping pump?

Try to break it while it's under warranty! 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paypal, 6 months to pay it off interest free. DAP uses it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't pay more than a core price for any used vp, unless it came from someone you trust. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dripley said:

They both offer fairly equal pricing and warranties on their products. Neither build their own. I have dealt with both on other things and they have both treated me fairly. 

 

True both are just vendors.... BUT! Both sell injection pumps from Industrial Injection then DAP also sells Midwest Injection. Both companies have Bosch 815 test stands and are certified Bosch rebuilders.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TFaoro said:

Try to break it while it's under warranty! 

exactly, 

 

Like any other reman unit you run the risk of the rebuilder not spotting an issue with the pump,  so leave the wiretap undone to keep the warranty on it, then drive the snot out of it to verify that the vp44 can keep up.  Keep in mind that %75 of the possible fueling is actually done via canbus within the "65hp limit"  Wiretap only adds another %25 on top.   Keep in mind that on a stock truck 0-300 hp is canbus fueling and wiretap will add maybe another 100 hp on top (ricer math but te % really don't change much)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ppump the world :whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

H pump or bust....static timing is for the dogs :hijack:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

H pump or bust....static timing is for the dogs :hijack:

 

I would agree but ppump to get started. H pumps seem to be a bit like hens teeth or unicorns. :cummins:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hahha I did actually find one.... they wanted $2500 for it :lmao: nope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:poke: I really need a violin emoji as well. K thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got mine VP44 through DAP last year.  Just make sure the core that you send in is the same flavor as the one they send you or you could be out your core deposit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On emoji anyone ever needs is :shifty: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hawkez said:

I got mine VP44 through DAP last year.  Just make sure the core that you send in is the same flavor as the one they send you or you could be out your core deposit.

Yeah that's the issue I'm having, since I want to switch to a SO pump. Good thing Tyler broke a SO one and we can swap!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now