• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

trreed's upgrade thread

On 4/5/2018 at 9:21 PM, trreed said:

@SilverMoose they came from 1AAuto. The actual product looked slightly different than the website, which annoyed me. Hopefully I don't have any issues with bad LEDs. I'd love to hear your findings

:thumb1: I am finishing them up today and will let you know after that.

Did a thing tonight. Had the 6x0.013’s in in just over an hour. Holy crap does this truck run smooth!  There’s so much reduction in engine noise, all I can hear is the exhaust when I’m next to a wall. And all the lost noise came back as turbo whistle, so it’s win win!D311AF48-D523-4ECF-9C28-14E995B90F93.jpeg.f469d476676ee2e06da6f5ccce4f9a9f.jpeg

But of course, nothing can be easy. Yesterday I found out I'm pushing oil through a turbo. I'm betting its the secondary AGAIN. It was just rebuilt in December too. 

Edited by trreed
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, trreed said:

But of course, nothing can be easy. Yesterday I found out I'm pushing oil through a turbo. I'm betting its the secondary AGAIN. It was just rebuilt in December too. 

:lmao: just quit messing with it. It's getting tired of your crap!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trreed said:

It gets it from your truck!

Turbo is angry, VP is angry....  Can't wait to see what else is going to get mad at me!

Park it next to a 4th gen and don't drive it for a week or two. It'll straighten up! Mine just has an oil leak since I did that. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

... eventually, @TFaoro will just sell the 2nd Gen because it broke all the time. 

Can't do that. If I keep using the 4th gen the way I have been the exhaust will be plugged in a month. I will won't sell the old girl - I'll use it for everything around town from towing to getting groceries. The 4th gen will be used for out of town stuff. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Ok, it just did... Now what?

Image result for hell sign frozen

And now that hell has frozen over, it's time to fix that oil leak :stirthepot: 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 9:21 PM, trreed said:

@SilverMoose they came from 1AAuto. The actual product looked slightly different than the website, which annoyed me. Hopefully I don't have any issues with bad LEDs. I'd love to hear your findings

Sorry for the delay

I finally got my lights modified and put back together.  I will try to keep this short and to the point.

First off, these are the lights I got. Most other similar lights I assume are made in the same Chinese factory.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ATPDGS8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The LED's kept going out on me after about a month. After my 4 set, (all compliments of Amazon) I decided to dissect a set to see what was happening. And this is what the problem was

5acd553e68b71_FriedBuck.jpg.3856f3c3374b340b212c73006102b2cf.jpg

The lights has a DC Buck in them to control the voltage (and I assume current as well) to the LED's. I'm assuming the voltage our trucks can put out (especially during the cooler months) led to the Bucks frying.

I did a little searching on Amazon and discovered this adjustable Buck. It's very easy to adjust and nice and small.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0KL1OM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I determined the forward voltage and current for each LED. They were connected in 3 sets of 3 in series and kept that arrangement. I set the output of the new Buck to just above the voltage of 3 of the LED's and computed what resistor was needed for each set of 3. A 1/8 watt was needed and I used a 1 watt to reduce chances of heat issues.

Wired.jpg.b2d02d2a8dde39721b5d87860b57fb7a.jpg

I hope this helps if you ever have the problem I did.

L8tr

D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@SilverMoose Thank you for this!  My end goal is to not have to open these lights up again after the retrofit is complete.  So I guess it's a trip to the electronics store for me, and I gotta find that dang soldering iron....

Am I seeing the colors correctly as red, red, black, gold, brown?

Edited by trreed

4 hours ago, trreed said:

@SilverMoose Thank you for this!  My end goal is to not have to open these lights up again after the retrofit is complete.  So I guess it's a trip to the electronics store for me, and I gotta find that dang soldering iron....

Am I seeing the colors correctly as red, red, black, gold, brown?

It's a 22ohm 1 watt resistor and my buck is set to 9.5 volts. I think you could probably just use the adjustable buck and lower the voltage til the lights turned off then raise it 0.5 volts.  Leave the little buck in there and save a bunch of time.

L8tr

D