• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

trreed's upgrade thread

Just kidding about fixing my VP issues. Truck did it again because it hates me.  Time to start checking wiring I guess..

In the meantime, I also am rebuilding this Tahoe motor for my mom, and that will be in the vehicle by next week, so I'll hopefully have some reliable wheels and can really look at this issue

IMG_3328.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've updated, but then again its been awhile since I've done anything to the truck... But today, I finally got the 4th gen wheels on the truck and updated to 3rd gen front brakes because why not.  Unfortunately, the tires are smaller than what used to be on the truck (285/75/R16 to 265/70/R17) but they will suffice until I get ahold of a set of 285/70/R17's over summer...

IMG_3437.JPG

Poor truck is dirty due to days of rain here in CO, and a severe hail storm took its toll on my hood and roof.

I used calipers, brackets, pads, and rotors off an 06 2500.  Everything bolts right up.  Only issue I ran into was the brake hose bolt for the '06 being too wide to fit through the stock brake hose.  The original bolt worked like a charm

First impressions is that the brakes feel the same. I put them on because of the difference in pad width, and I like the idea of wider pads when towing. 

As for the tires, I guess I've gotten used to the size of the old tires and these look small to me. I've always liked tires with a bit of width and height to them. Personal preference I guess. 

You'll have to update us after you tow something or get some more miles on it to see how they're working out. Is the only difference the width in the rotor?

I hear ya on the tires though, I'm on 315's right now because that's what the truck came with but I'll be going down to 285's when the time comes to replace them.

I'll have a trailer hooked to the truck within the week, so I'll post on how they did. 

Below is a picture of the difference in pad side. 2G on the left, 3G on the right. Since the pads are bigger, the rotor has to have a larger diameter, which means the caliper bracket has to be bigger...  though the calipers themselves look to be identical for 2001 vs 2006. 

IMG_3438.JPG

• Like 1