• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Degreasing Motor

Any tips or tricks to degreasing my motor?  Need to get her cleaned up and attempt to tackle my leaking tappet cover.  Seems like all the degreasers Ive bought most recently aren't very strong anymore.  Simple Green, Purple Power as we as the Orange stuff don't seem very powerful.  Anything I should really avoid getting wet (I know there is no distributor but is there something else important?).

I used ZEP from Home Depot. It says you're supposed to dilute it, but I didn't and it worked great. I went through and disconnected all electrical plugs and put dielectric grease in them prior to washing it down, and then just used my wide angle pressure washer tip and went to town. I was careful spraying directly at anything electrical, but it definitely still got wet.

• Like 1

I know the products you get at the local parts stores just dont seem to have the cleaning power, I try to have a couple of spray bottles on hand and use my own solutions, sometimes solvent from the local hardware store or if I dont have any I will just use straight diesel or WD/40 in bulk, What ever you use make sure to rinse well with water, I like to make a mess at the local car wash and not in my own driveway. A couple cans of brake clean used sparingly can go a long ways too. Depending what you spray through them the spray bottles only work a couple times but they get the job done.

spray bottle.jpg

• Like 1

• Owner

Now put this in the spray bottle...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-128-oz-Industrial-Purple-Degreaser-ZU0856128/100047759

ZEP 128 oz. Industrial Purple Degreaser

This stuff is super strong and takes little time at full strength to clean a pretty ugly engine. It will shine up your aluminum wheels too. For my stuff I normally mix it down 50/50 with water. Just don't leave it on aluminum long it will start to foam up and if you do it will turn it black. It's truely a acid based cleaner. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...