• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Verifying HX35/40 turbo size

• Owner

I got a turbo from @CSM and I went ahead and got it pulled down to rebuild it. While its apart I figure I would measure out the turbine and compressor wheels. Here is what I got. 

Compressor 

Inducer 60mm

Exducer 83mm

Turbine

Exducer 60mm

Inducer 69mm

From what I found online this is a HX40 compressor wheel. The HX35W is 56mm compressor wheel. So this should be a rather nice boost (pun intended). Waiting for my bearing kit to come.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

It has a nice whine as well.  Kinda high pitched and way different than my current Borg Warner. 

I am really curious to see what your temps do and how the quad tuning changes from a stock turbo!

• Owner
19 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Me thinks Mopar1973Man has caught the the power bug...

:whistle::think:

Naw... +75 injectors and HX35/40 turbo power bug? I don't think so. I've already got enough power to get in trouble and break expensive parts like transmissions with my previous setup. Come on brown truck get here... I need my parts. The injectors are all pulled out and head is ready for injectors. The turbo is tore down and ready to be rebuilt. 

Oh, it always starts small...  1/4 turn of the smoke screw here, slide the plate 1/16" forward there...

Though I should talk, I've got "120hp injectors" and am STILL running the stock turbo. haha

• Like 1

• Owner

Since CSM gave me the turbo I figured since I needed new injectors I called Jacob @ Diesel Auto Power and talked him about injector replacement and bearing kit. Talking to him we figured we would give the +75HP a go with the HX35/40 turbo. Being I came from +50 HP injectors small boost in power but also adding the turbo. Then with the fuel management of the Quadzilla I should be able to create good clean power. We will see. 

Should be able to make them run clean as a whistle no problem :thumbup2: 

Should also be interesting to see what difference altitude makes. I know you do some long climbs, so I would expect it to be a touch smokier at elevation with the same tune. We'll see. 

Oh and none of this actually happens without pictures!

• Like 1

• Staff
7 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Should also be interesting to see what difference altitude makes. I know you do some long climbs, so I would expect it to be a touch smokier at elevation with the same tune. We'll see. 

At low to mid throttle or low rpms it runs the potential to run hotter and smokier the higher in elevation one gets, especially in summer. (Think density altitude vs actual altitude). 

Pics are certainly needed!!!

• Like 1

Can someone explain a little better this hybrid thing. So on the outside you can not tell the difference, still says hx35 on it? And what exactly do you need to make it a hybrid which piece goes where? I've always wondered if mine wasn't the hybrid, few guys that rode in my truck thought that it has more power than it should. One has a Ford another drives a Chevy and I got a Dodge what do you know.....

Edited by Dieselfuture

Just did a quick search and found Turbo Lab America,  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M9NJIOU/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

They say hx35 housing needs machining and also 

"This is a HX40 Compressor Wheel and Housing with a 60mm by 86mm Billet Extended Tip Compressor Wheel. This is an Excellent HX35 HX40 Hybrid Kit also! Details: *Compressor Wheel is Balanced and Ready to Install *Light Weight and Aerodynamic *Designed for Faster Spooling *Outflows Stock Wheel by 5 to 10 % NOTE: The Bearing Housing Must Be Machined to 87.5mm for the Compressor Wheel to Install. We offer this Service for $20, but You can have this Done at a Local Machine Shop Also!"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TFaoro said:

It should take a bit more heat to light, but after it is lit it should be a tad bit more powerful at a given HP level.  The only real driving difference with it compared to a stock turbo was that the hybrid is easy to bark. 

Edited by CSM

2 hours ago, CSM said:

It should take a bit more heat to light, but after it is lit it should be a tad bit more powerful at a given HP level.  The only real driving difference with it compared to a stock turbo was that the hybrid is easy to bark. 

Any surging? I did the 60mm upgrade to a WH1C w/14cm non gated exhaust housing and it surged like crazy with heavy throttle. Surged w/12cm gated too.

18 minutes ago, CTcummins24V said:

Any surging? I did the 60mm upgrade to a WH1C w/14cm non gated exhaust housing and it surged like crazy with heavy throttle. Surged w/12cm gated too.

I never had any surging issues.  The cruise control on automatic trucks is never happy with non stock fueling, but that's a different issue.

On 3/20/2017 at 10:48 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

The HX35W is 56mm compressor wheel.

So fun fact of the day, there are two different versions of the HX35.  The 8 blade HX35's were 56 mm.  Then, Cummins quietly switched to a 7 blade version that's actually a 54 mm inducer.  I found this out the hard way when I was rebuilding my HX35 and needed a new wheel...

Edited by trreed
  • Like 3