• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Verifying HX35/40 turbo size

I've always been curious what drive pressure is with a hybrid like that.  You've got a tight twin scroll 12cm housing with a small straight blade 60mm turbine.  The he351's do pretty decent, but they've got a curved blade and a single scroll turbine housing.  Speculations.  Unless, someone were to measure it.... ????? lol

• Staff

Lower cruise boost is a good thing, imho. 

40 psi with added timing is the number I'd be watching with stock head bolts, and that's with stock stocks. 

Since you increased exhaust flow its likely you are moving more air with the same boost pressure.... meaning 40 psi now could be similar to 43 psi with a stock turbine. It's hard to say how much, but it's good either way. 

• Staff
11 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Basically that what it looks like. So, that would be a curved blade wouldn't it?

112387264.jpg

I consider that a curved blade...??

it also shows why your post 1 turbine labels are backwards. Inducer is bigger on the turbine. 

I'm sure the CR timing has a little to do with it, but I'd never call the drive pressure on a HE351 descent. 2:1 is super easy to get. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, AH64ID said:
26 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

112387264.jpg

I consider that a curved blade...??

Yes, that is a curved blade.  Helps spool quicker, especially when using a twin scroll housing, like the one found on the 12cm HX35's

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Basically that what it looks like. So, that would be a curved blade wouldn't it?

112387264.jpg

Yes the blades are curved, but in todays turbos that's referred to as a straight blade turbine.  The inducer side of the fins are parallel with the shaft.  Looking at AH64ID's HE351 pictures above, you can see the the inducer part of the blades are curved.

The straight blades make more turbulence which helps with spooling, but limits top end do to increasing the restriction.

I could never keep the inducer/exducer straight either till the obvious hit me like a brick.

Inducer = Intake side of the wheel.  Excuder = exhaust side of the wheel.

Trim.png

The HE351 is actually a 60/58/9.  Somehow they've managed to take a crumby HY35, redesign the turbine housing and compressor wheel, and turn it into one of the best sub 500hp options to date... 

The Stock HX35 Turbine wheel specs at a 60/70mm, but the inducer typically measures a little shy of 70mm, so it sound like you've got a stock HX35 turbine.

IMG_1679.jpg

Edited by Cowboy
  • Like 3

Please do!  I'm curious what you find.  If yours is a 60mm, you'd be the first out of a dozen or so people I've talked to that measured one and got that number.  If you're familiar with Will at PDD, I talked with him and he said that he's measured dozens and only ever got 58.

I personally sat down with a HY35, HE341, and HE351CW, took the turbine out of each of them, sat them side by side and they were all identical, probably have the same part number.

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

I've always wondered where the 60mm thing came about, I must have been Holset themselves.  Just doesn't appear to be so by forum measurement standards.

Do it. Then send it to me! If I had the machining ability to throw a he351 compressor on a HX35, id have done it by now.  I have a feeling most of the he351 success comes from the compressor wheel.