• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rebuilding a Holset HX35/40W turbo

• Owner

No, I don't have a write up for this but I will post the PDF document for the service manual.

http://www.myholsetturbo.com/manuals/HX30_32_35_38_40_GW.pdf

I'll admit it's fairly easy to do. You will need a very good pair of snap ring pliers. Everything else is a standard tools wrench and such. I did run into a snag and created a bind in the shaft. Make sure to put your thrust washer back in. :doh: Once I grab the manual and seen the exploded view of the turbo I knew right away what I missed. Sure enough dug into the ashtray I put all the old parts into and there it was. Slipped it on the shaft and it spins good. The 2 end are 12 points the turbine is 19mm 12 point socket and the compressor nut is 10mm 12 point nut left-hand thread. You torque to 124 inch pounds. 

For the smaller snap ring, I created my own tips for my snap ring pliers from nails. trim a nail to length and then carefully ground the tip into a point for the small snap rings holding the bearings. The larger snap ring for the compressor side I trimmed down two Allen wrenches that fit the holes and they were plenty strong to pull that snap ring. 

My truck is slightly torn apart and without injectors right now. So might as well get the turbo done and ready since the bearing kit came first. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner
5 hours ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

ill be rebuilding a used one i got from a member here some time this year...   DAP sells the kits genuine holset for $85.  dont get the cheap chinese knockoffs which i think was put in my current turbo i had rebuilt...  (burns oil on backside)  :/

Check again... I think ita 59 for a true Holder rebuild kit.

I'd like to maybe do this hybrid thing, what is a good way to go about it. Would it be easier just to run hx40 instead. My biggest thing is my exhaust break, it's bolted to exhaust housing of hx35, I don't necessarily care if I have a waste gate as mine been seized shut for years now and having a good defuel option with quad its all good now. Also my exhaust housing is in bad shape from rust, I may need a new one. I'm almost thinking I'll be better off just buying a new complete hybrid from someplace, but not sure if it's really worth it. 

6 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I'd like to maybe do this hybrid thing, what is a good way to go about it. Would it be easier just to run hx40 instead. My biggest thing is my exhaust break, it's bolted to exhaust housing of hx35, I don't necessarily care if I have a waste gate as mine been seized shut for years now and having a good defuel option with quad its all good now. Also my exhaust housing is in bad shape from rust, I may need a new one. I'm almost thinking I'll be better off just buying a new complete hybrid from someplace, but not sure if it's really worth it. 

Could always be like me and he a 63.5 68 built out of ur hx35

16 hours ago, Silverdodge said:

My HX 35 that was built for me has one

15 hours ago, trreed said:

The above mentioned $59 kit from DAP comes with a 360* thrust

Wonder who is actually making them. Ran into this with my secondary. Not all 360* bearings are created equal.

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

How do you like it, any lag, would it still work with 60-90hp injectors.  What's all needed.  Thank you, I never really looked in too far in this direction. 

A compressor wheel, turbine wheel and rebuild kit. A buddy in Indiana builds them very reasonably for a drop in. Especially once you consider what machining and balancing costs. North American Turbo Systems.

• Like 2