• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rebuilding a Holset HX35/40W turbo

49 minutes ago, Silverdodge said:

Better since u can always stay in high Rpms 

I disagree with that statement. Response would be worse generally due to the effect of manual trans and clutch. Torque converters are heck of a tool to stay on turbos and loading the engine.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

I disagree with that statement. Response would be worse generally due to the effect of manual trans and clutch. Torque converters are heck of a tool to stay on turbos and loading the engine.

Funny point that is totally against common truck thought. 

I totally agree with you.  The auto trucks tend to be significantly faster throughout the curve as the exhaust gas energy stays higher during shifts than a similar manual where the driver has to reduce the throttle.  However, the way most folks drive they can make it smoke less with a manual by only fueling heavily when the engine is at 2000 or so. 

Also, most automatics don't have a properly adjusted kick down.

• Like 3

• Owner

For what I'm using my truck for it's working excellent. I'm able to to drop is near zero boost in the city. Highway it just below 5 PSI at 65. Slight lag getting lot up but still good power. Works good for light to light traffic Very light haze getting through the years using my Performance tune.

4 hours ago, jlbayes said:

Not when u have a wicked tight tc

2 hours ago, Silverdodge said:

Not when u have a wicked tight tc

But, he's saying it'd be better for an auto. :think:

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I asked about that and it was something about pop tester problems. :shifty:

So you just did a refresh on the HX right? No other upgrades or anything? 

37 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Awesome! That definitely exceeds what I thought a rebuild would've done! Do you ever plan on going with a bigger charger?

From my limited knowledge the looser the tc the worst it is to tow with but Easyer to spool bigger turbos the tight TC gives no RPM really so it's harder to spool bigger turbos buts tows better it's the low stall vs higher stall argument in the spooling argument 

6 minutes ago, Silverdodge said:

From my limited knowledge the looser the tc the worst it is to tow with but Easyer to spool bigger turbos the tight TC gives no RPM really so it's harder to spool bigger turbos buts tows better it's the low stall vs higher stall argument in the spooling argument 

You are right regarding a low stall converter liking smaller turbos.  However, even a tight converter will be faster in a drag race as you can leave the accelerator floored during shifts.  If the shifts/kickdown are set right, the trans will shift at the right points resulting in a faster truck than a manual as the driver doesn't have to lift for shifts.  IE: the engine revs stay up, the EGTs stay up to keep the turbo pumping, and you get more energy into the system.

I like my low stall converter for driving around town.  I hate it for towing.  I regularly wish I had a high stall converter.  

The stall is the point at which the converter really starts to move and fully load the engine. It converts torque, as its name states, but I kind of wish mine loaded at 1600 rather than the 1200 it does.  (all this is variable on load, power, and temperature).   A normal stall converter will stall and fully load the engine at near the point most turbos spool.  

• Like 2

On 3/22/2017 at 9:02 PM, Silverdodge said:

I love it I got injectors 200 HP ddps and use it as a single and I start to spool at 12 or 1300 Rpms I've had it on for a year now it starts to light at 1500 or so

You said this...

17 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I wonder if it will perform similar on a manual transmission. 

He asked this...

9 hours ago, Silverdodge said:

Better since u can always stay in high Rpms 

Then you said this...

9 hours ago, jlbayes said:

Then he said this...

The only disagreement was that a manual will not actually maintain boost/spool (whatever you want to call it) better then an auto with a nice torque converter would.

I think we all agree on what kind of stall converter will spool what and how, but that wasn't the original issue.

Sorry if this seems b*tchy! I don't mean it too, it's just an OCD thing when things get mixed up and misunderstood on forums, if only I could fix them all, but then we probably wouldn't have forums anymore! :lmao:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, notlimah said:

...that a manual will not actually maintain boost/spool (whatever you want to call it) better then an auto with a nice torque converter would.

I think we all agree on what kind of stall converter will spool what and how, but that wasn't the original issue.

Moparman, if you consider this a hijack, then move the posts... 

in my obviously infallible opinion (levity), I think it is likely easier to drive a manual with a big single without smoke than an auto. 

My point was that in a race or considering hp/lb efficiency, a properly tuned auto will smoke a manual for area under the curve any day of the week.  

I like my auto.  I sold my 5sp to buy an automatic.  There are days I regret it. It is a tradeoff.  However, I strongly disagree with the concept that an auto needs a smaller housing to work or that an auto needs a smaller turbo for performance gains.  

An auto needs more understanding and torque converters are mysterious things. Manuals are pretty simple. If I had a choice, my primary truck would be a near stock 2007 mega cab auto and my second a 2002 p pumped ex cab manual with twins.  

Edited by CSM
  • Like 2

The 6 speed is even worse IMHO. I can shift mine pretty quick when I want to but the boost pretty well disappears every shift. And you have one more gear to deal with. 

As far as hijacking is concerned I always thought we just get a little misdirected but usuall y good things come from it and we walk away the better for it. Just my :2cents: worth.

• Like 2

• Staff

I do not think it's a Hijack when the Turbo is in connection with the TC, in use anyway.

I cannot even think about power mods. I used to be in so much trouble with tickets. Now whenever I just think about putting my foot in it, there is a cop there half hiding watching. It's just my luck. :backtotopic:

• Like 1

I have had a range of tcs and the lower stall made boost sooner and had a more connected feel similar to a clutch. That being said.....I friggin hated it. The 2800rpm stall I had with the 2nd to last trans and big single....OMG was that perfect. The low stall was ran with 3 different turbos. The 2800 as well but all were on the large side lol. This stock tc in the 12v that flash stalls to the governor in the pump is obnoxious. Can't wait to get it out of there.

• Like 1