• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2 inch leveling kit

• Staff

I have an 02 and an 01. I did the 2 in level to the 02 and will not do it again as it's not as simple as you think because you will need to recenter the axle with buying an adjustable trac bar then you need longer drag links on the sway bar then you need to recenter the steering wheel to it's12 o'clock position when going straight by playing with the correct adjustment. If you don't do it right you will get vibration from a misalighned front driveline. Then you need longer shocks so they don't bang on the stretch when going over speed bumps.

Then when you place a load in the back the truck will look sagged so then you need air bags too.

I just don't recommend it any longer.

• Like 3

• Owner
8 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I have an 02 and an 01. I did the 2 in level to the 02 and will not do it again as it's not as simple as you think because you will need to recenter the axle with buying an adjustable trac bar then you need longer drag links on the sway bar then you need to recenter the steering wheel to it's12 o'clock position when going straight by playing with the correct adjustment. If you don't do it right you will get vibration from a misalighned front driveline. Then you need longer shocks so they don't bang on the stretch when going over speed bumps.

Then when you place a load in the back the truck will look sagged so then you need air bags too.

I just don't recommend it any longer.

Amen Brother...

aw409s.jpg

My leveling kit means time to relax. There are more smiles to my leveling kit.

What I think looks horrid is the people that level a truck empty then hitch up a heavy trailer and it looks like a Squatting Ford. These are the people that piss me off at night with their headlight blaring in your face and that is their lo beams. Their hi beams go well into the trees.

Image result for squatting ford

Best off leaving the front unlevelled so when you load up it is level...

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 3

I think reason you're not getting a lot of responses on two wheel drive is because most of us dealt with four wheel drive and I don't believe it's that common to jack up a 2wd. I do remember back in the day some of my friends messed with putting bigger wheels and tires on two wheel drive cars, and part of the task was extended control arms and heavy duty ball joints. Not sure if it would be same for your application. 

9 hours ago, 01cummins6 said:

Where can I get shorter blocks

Dunno, you might have to do something custom if you go that route. From what I read HERE and a few other places it sounds like there are two separate blocks and you could take one out to lose a little height in the rear.

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, leon said:

So a 2" leveling will require longer front shocks?

Most 2" leveling kits are only 1.5" in actual height " don't know why they call them 2 inch " which doesn't require longer shocks in most instances for normal daily drivers.

• Staff

my 02 has a level kit and my 01 does not. It measures 2 inch higher. When I needed new front shocks before the level kit, KYB says I needed the longer shocks in front because I told them about the future level kit.

Edited by JAG1

On 4/3/2017 at 11:52 PM, JAG1 said:

my 02 has a level kit and my 01 does not. It measures 2 inch higher. When I needed new front shocks before the level kit, KYB says I needed the longer shocks in front because I told them about the future level kit.

Are you running the KYB shocks? I have seen them but dont anything about them.

• Staff

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Are you running the KYB shocks? I have seen them but dont anything about them.

Yes I am running the KYB's Dave, they are stiff but not aggressive as others say. Mine are the MonoMax , a little heavier duty for hauling the Camper. They've been on there for 60,000 and I can't tell any wear difference in the ride. Think they will last a long time.

The 01 work rig will probably get Napa shocks something like that.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Yes I am running the KYB's Dave, they are stiff but not aggressive as others say. Mine are the MonoMax , a little heavier duty for hauling the Camper. They've been on there for 60,000 and I can't tell any wear difference in the ride. Think they will last a long time.

The 01 work rig will probably get Napa shocks something like that.

I put $20 Monroe's on mine a little while. They do the job but they are hard. holding good too. I used them for budgetary reasons. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On April 3, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Wild and Free said:

Most 2" leveling kits are only 1.5" in actual height " don't know why they call them 2 inch " which doesn't require longer shocks in most instances for normal daily drivers.

Just curious because I put a 2" HBS leveling kit on my 12v and it rode like @$$.  I tried to ask about this 3 times over at the Cummins forum and each post was deleted, with no reasoning for why.  I like it much better here!!!

Back on topic, after installation my truck rode terrible so I took it off!  My guess is the shocks were stretched to the max and had no give.  I would think longer shocks would've helped.

To do the lift right, you need longer control arms, shocks, adjustable track bar, and other things that are adjustable, preferably longer Springs and not blocks, if you go high enough custom driveshaft, crossover steering etc, just not worth it in long run unless it's a show truck, or you have unlimited money supply. Not for DD/towing. Imo.