• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Getting Elec connections apart

I’ve noticed more and more elec connections have a little tab or plastic something to keep the connection in place, supposedly  makes connection better?

I broke a plastic tab today using a nail trying to get connection apart.

What do you use?

I used an incantation passed down from generation to generation.  It gets better over time and dates back to the civil war, but I may not be using the right one.  Using a civil war Sergeants Incantation about enlisted men explains why my electrical connections get stuck too.  

In all seriousness, I use a combination of small to large screwdrivers, lots of rocking back and forth, cleaning the connection, oiling it with penetrating oil sometimes, and prying just short of breaking or bending plastic.  When you do get it apart, use some dielectric grease and you likely won't have problems in the future. 

• Staff

Those tabs get brittle with age and will brake sometimes with the slightest of pressure.  When reconnecting along with dielectric grease I'll use a zip-tie to keep them together.  Don't know about the tool, I have my on special thingamajig that I use along with four letter word instructions.   

• Like 1

• Owner

Hmmm... If the connector is dry already I found compressed air will help getting them apart. Blasting air in the joint of the plug sometimes will move dirt and dust out making them separate easier. Like others said PB blaster, etc to help lube it up if the connector is clean. Small screwdrivers... Some time combinations of all the above. Where the PB blaster and compressed air will drive the lubricant into the plug making it slide easier. 

• 4 months later...