• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fan belts squeaks

• Owner

I've got a weird one that just started up. First off I've got a brand new fan belt. I've check all pulleys and bearings. No loose bearing and all pulleys spin freely and grooves are clean. The noise is coming from only the A/C pulley. Turning on the A/C has no impact in the noise level. Now in all my messing around, I managed to get the belt to ride on top of the high points of the grooves for the A/C pulley and the noise was gone. So I took the time released the belt and made sure it was back down in the grooves again. Now the squeak returns. I've tried some of my older belts I kept for spares with no change. I've power washed all the pulleys with degreaser and solvent. No change. I've inspected the grooves for debris and clean all the pulleys. At least now with all the cleaning it reduced the volume of it a bit. Any ideas? 

Something has moved... hard to say what.  Could just be surface wear or something building up in the grooves of the ac pulley.

In the past i have used belt dressing or soap as a temporary fix. 

• Owner
19 minutes ago, CSM said:

In the past i have used belt dressing or soap as a temporary fix. 

I tried that yesterday and it lasted about 5-10 minutes then it would be loud enough to make you want to roll up the windows.

20 minutes ago, CSM said:

Could just be surface wear or something building up in the grooves of the ac pulley.

I cleaned the grooves of the pulley, then spray solvent on them and power washed them. Just to be sure there is no other oils, belt dressing, etc. that might be causing the issue. I even sprayed the belt down and power washed the grooved side of the belt to get any debris out of the grooves of the belt. I did find like metal plating or paint in the grooves. It now clean. 

• Staff

If you changed the new belt with an old belt and the noise is still there then it's not a belt problem.  The pulley is clean and dry of contaminants then I think the pulley may be out of alignment causing added pressure on one side of the belt groves.    

For what it's worth that happened to me once, did everything you did cleaning ect. Ended up buying the new more expensive one, I think it was Gates from Carquest, and noise stopped right away. I'm still running same belt 3 years later.

At first I actually thought my alternator bearings were shot

On a different note I had a Chrysler Town Country van and it sounded like a crankshaft was broken banging around, Ended up being bad bearings in the alternator

Edited by Dieselfuture

• Owner
16 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

If you changed the new belt with an old belt and the noise is still there then it's not a belt problem.  The pulley is clean and dry of contaminants then I think the pulley may be out of alignment causing added pressure on one side of the belt groves.    

A/C pulley has no movement. No visible wobble either. The new belt is 1mm thinner than my previous CarQuest or NAPA belts. The A/C compressor is fairly low miles. 

16 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Ended up buying the new more expensive one

That's what I think I'll end up doing. I'm going to run it and see if it clear up in the next Boise trip. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been dealing with the same issue for about a year and a half.. Had just the every day Gates belts on and they would be good for a bit then the swooshing noise nice starts. Since the start of this i've put I think 3 cheaper belts on and then went to the Carquest commercial Gates belt as mentioned about. Problem was fixed for three or four months and then after getting my truck out from storage this winter it started again. I too the belt off and cleaned all the pulleys and wire brushed them, bought another new belt figuring the other one just got hard or something from sitting all winter, and the new one took my noise away completely...for maybe a week. Now its back!  Soon ready to sell the dam truck if I can't get it stopped as noises like that drives me nuts

24 minutes ago, dripley said:

My truck did this at shut down the first 4 or 5 years I had it and slowly just went away. Always heard it described as the Cummins sneeze. I heard several others with it and just never gave it a thought.

Surprisingly enough, i've yet too hear mine do that in the 14 years i've owned it

Mine squeaks when I shut it down. All of the Cummins trucks my grandfather had (6) have squeaked whenn shut down too. I even hear it in some of the medium duty trucks that come in to work that have the isb in them. I figure it's just normal lol 

if the belt squeaked all the time while running I'd go insane

Edited by CumminsTech

5 hours ago, dobienut said:

Been dealing with the same issue for about a year and a half.. Had just the every day Gates belts on and they would be good for a bit then the swooshing noise nice starts. Since the start of this i've put I think 3 cheaper belts on and then went to the Carquest commercial Gates belt as mentioned about. Problem was fixed for three or four months and then after getting my truck out from storage this winter it started again. I too the belt off and cleaned all the pulleys and wire brushed them, bought another new belt figuring the other one just got hard or something from sitting all winter, and the new one took my noise away completely...for maybe a week. Now its back!  Soon ready to sell the dam truck if I can't get it stopped as noises like that drives me nuts

Did you try oem mopar? I'm not sure who makes the oem belt, I know the tensioner is dayco. My local shop said run oem or it'll squeal. I've been running oem mopar belt and tensioner for a couple years, only squeaks on shutoff.