• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone tried this in their truck, added to the fuel that is? I had an extra quart the other day so I dumped it in when I filled up so it would be right at 128:1. I got .5 to .8 mpg more than I ever have before! Anyone got any thoughts or explanations? There was no 2-cycle in the tank at all, not even a trace! As I understand it, ATF+4 is fully synthetic.

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Anyone tried this in their truck, added to the fuel that is? I had an extra quart the other day so I dumped it in when I filled up so it would be right at 128:1. I got .5 to .8 mpg more than I ever have before! Anyone got any thoughts or explanations? There was no 2-cycle in the tank at all, not even a trace! As I understand it, ATF+4 is fully synthetic.

I don't know about the +4, but a mechanic told me that I could put a quart of ATF (dextron) in the tank, to help the lubricity. I've done it a few times, but didn't check the mpg.

gentlemen, please understand that atf has no lubrication in it at all, it is a friction additive. It is mean to help add friction to the bands and clutch packs, if it was a lubricant they would use it in manual transmissions as a lubricant. also, it is red in color, red is the color of untaxed fuel, get caught with that and you will be paying fines based on your odometer, so it can pose a real problem. if you want to add a lubricant add 2 stroke oil, it is indeed a lubricant, it is meant to be mixed with fuel.
  • Like 2

gentlemen, please understand that atf has no lubrication in it at all, it is a friction additive. It is mean to help add friction to the bands and clutch packs, if it was a lubricant they would use it in manual transmissions as a lubricant. also, it is red in color, red is the color of untaxed fuel, get caught with that and you will be paying fines based on your odometer, so it can pose a real problem. if you want to add a lubricant add 2 stroke oil, it is indeed a lubricant, it is meant to be mixed with fuel.

i only use 2 cycle oil in my fuel. my transfer case requires ATF 4, surely it has some lubrcation qualities for gears. my 96 v-10 used atf, which kind i dont remember. i woulod agree however not to burn it in the fuel.

• 3 weeks later...

My dad was a diesel mechanic all his life. He use to tell me that they would put used oil and atf in the fuel tanks to get rid of it. But, I also remember him coming back from a Cummins seminar one time and saying eventually that would be a no no to do. The higher ups even knew years ago things would be changing with these engines.

ATF is a lubricant. It is used in several manual transmissions and even transfer cases. If you look at most clutches for automatic transmissions there are several grooves in them angled to expel the fluid faster as the clutch pack engages. The longer the fluid is in between the clutches the more slippage you get. ATF is used as a substitute for power steering fluid in heavy duty truck steering systems. I run 2 cycle oil also, but if I was to run ATF as a fuel additive I definitely would not use a synthetic. Type F would be the best to use in my opinion but haven't tried it myself. I'm also not sure if you can even get type F transmission fluid anymore. One of the reasons I have not tried ATF is because of the red color it would add to the fuel, but if you were to start running it I would definitely make sure you get a reciept everytime you get fuel and keep them available in the truck if you were to get checked and make sure they are dated reciepts.

• 3 months later...

The T56 in my Camaro requires ATF. Sticker right on the side of it that says so.I read once that the old ATF actually had whale oil in it, which was supposedly the greatest thing ever for lubricating, and they said it would really burn well. I suppose if whaling wasn't illegal then we'd still find their oil in stuff today.

ATF contained whale oil up until the 1973 model year. There's lots of info on this out there. http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2998/do-the-japanese-lubricate-new-cars-with-whale-oil Whale oil was widely used for lighting even lighting light houses prior to fossil oil drilling. It burned clean & bright... cleaner than todays kero. I never was in a position to use whale/ATF as fuel. Knowing what I do about modern fluids, I'm sticking with my TCW3 2 cycle oil.

Yeah, it's cheap enough to have a few gallons of TCW3 from walmart in the toolbox all the time anyway. When I installed my AD150 I ended up getting some fuel from the tank on my hands and it was down right oily. I guess when Walmart decides to charge $50 per gallon for it then I'll have to get the truck mounted harpoon back out and start whaling again. Shouldn't be too hard if I just stick close to the walmart parking lot. I hear the whaling's best where they park the power-buggies.

• 1 month later...

I saved (4) 1 qt TCW3 2 cycle oil containers (now marker labeled Diesel Addative) which I refill from my blue WM gallon jug. I refill them with a bit of "squish" so they fit in my door pockets. When I top up the fuel, I just add one before filling. I have explained to a few folks... but mostly I just say "It's my pre-measured additive" & let it go.