• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering Pop/Click inside cab

Seems that over the last year or so my steering wheel has developed a popping/clicking inside the cab. I've read a few posts in the past where people said it could be the clock spring or the bushing but both seem to be hit and miss fixes. Just curious if there's anyone out there who's actually fixed the issue and what worked for you.

Doeant matter which way you turn the wheel the problem still exists. 

The noise is definitely from the column and it sounds more like a bearing when it's gone out. 

Any advice is appreciated.

Not sure a bushing is the solution. The issue is almost a pop/squeaking. It sounds to me more like a bearing of sorts  or maybe a spring broken or twisting in a mount. 

And the issie existed before and after the trac bar was installed so unfortunately rules that out. 

i am getting a rough sound from mine under low speed steering, as in a parking lot. Only happens when turn right. Feels more like something is grinding from the 1/4 to the 1/2 of a turn on the wheel. this feels and sounds like it is in the upper part of the column in the cab. Is there not another bushing/bearing at the top? Mine does pop at all just grinding like noise. No drag on the wheel.

So sounds like this is common so I guess I'll be the test pig.  Hopefully I can get a video of the issue soon just so everyone has reference to what the issue sounds like. 

Both the bushing and the clock spring seem to be about the same price so I'm going to attempt the bushing first and hope for the best. 

Now that I think of it this started for me after replacing the clock spring. I had replaced the OE about 8 years ago when my ECM went. It did not help me with the ECM problem. A little over a year ago the replacement, Doorman I believe, went bad and I stuck my OE one back in and sometime after that is when mine started making the noise I hear. I have a hard time believing that noise is that piece of plastic though. 

28 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

From what I've researched its that bushing that should cure that problem

I have read that also, but there has to be something in the top column to support that shaft. My noise is sure sounds like it is in the top and not under the hood.