• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help me pick Turbo/Injectors

So as some of you may have read, I'm finally getting my trans built and now I can safely start scheming on power mods. I've been doing as much research as I can to get an idea of what I'd need to attain my power goals but I wanted to get your opinions and thoughts on the matter.

Ideally I'd like to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 450-500hp. I daily drive the truck so I don't need gobs of power and I don't tow a lot, but I'd rather it perform better towing then have it be more fun when empty, if that makes sense?! :think:

Anyways, I currently have a quad xzt hooked up, but turned off to preserve my trans until it's built. I've dug through old threads regarding the xzt and it seems that the 3000 flash is the most aggressive but I couldn't find anything that states any different numbers from what the other tunes offer so is it just the timing and fueling differences that make it more aggressive?

I understand that I'm a bit limited with this box but for the time being I'm ok with that. Ultimately I'd like to upgrade to the big boy quad and run un-tapped as to preserve the VPs health as best I can.

So, if I went with 7x.009s and ran it with my xzt and HX35 I'd imagine that'd put me around 300-350. yes? no? Would adding a phatshaft 62/65/12 get me to around 400-450 or would I need to add a quad adr to get there? Would those numbers be doable without wire tapping or would bigger injectors be needed?

Well the downfall of the xzt is you can't control fueling.  all flashes will make the exact same peak power, 

You need to choose if you are going to upgrade to the big boy quad.  Even if you leave it untapped you will have WAY more control.  you will at least be able to control smoke with the ADR

In a perfect world I would do

62 sxe turbo

7 x .010 SAC injectors

Quadzilla ADR untapped with canbus and timing tuning

that should get you in the ~450 hp range

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I will definitely be upgrading to the big boy quad, it'll just be a while. Just making sure I start with the trans first and want to make sure that I give Dynamic a good idea of where I'm going with my power mods so he can setup me up with the best torque converter stall speed and all that.

Where do you think I'd be at power wise with the xzt, hx35 and 7x.010s? 7x.010 are 100s or 150s?

Ok, that's sorta what I was thinking as well, but I was guessing more then anything lol.

So I'll more then likely upgrade injectors before I get a bigger charger. Would it be doable running 7x.010s with a HX35 and my xzt? I don't want to be a freight train haha

Do you think a 62/65/12 sxe would be good? Or would I need to go a little bigger?

I might have to look into getting the quad adr before bigger sticks then, that way I can at least tune around big injectors and little air.

My biggest reason I want to pin down a good sized turbo for what I want to do is so I can get the right stall speed converter put in now so I don't need to get a new one later.

Want vs need. With 60hp injectors, WH1C turbo(hx35) and edge ez, my truck drove great! Throttle response and driveability was so much better than stock. Then I went 100hp VCOs and edge comp. Now I have 100hp SACs, super b turbo and quadzilla xzt, and its really smokey riding empty when I drop the hammer, haven't towed with the setup yet. I could have saved some money just keeping the original setup, it's all I needed for what I do with the truck, plenty of power for towing and fun. Bit by the diesel bug. 

If you can keep egts down with 100s or 150s and a bigger turbo without losing everyday functional driving and towing, great, if not, a smaller setup is more than enough. I won't let my wife drive my truck now with the current setup.

Billet input and triple disc? I wouldn't get an ultra low stall converter with any setup. Stock stall or just lower. You could also call/email firepunk transmissions out of Ohio for some TC stall advice or Georend for extra input. 

• Like 1

Thanks @CTcummins24V

I totally agree, I think I am being a bit greedy in the sense that I'm trying to plan for things really far down the road and basically get to a point where I know if I went any further it'd require major changes to what I have plannned in the near future. Mainly anything over a 62mm turbo.

Both trucks I've had have both been stock power wise and they've both performed exactly how I needed them too. So I think once power mods start coming it'll keep me happy for quite a bit. I will more then likely run the hx35 and some mild injectors for quite a while, with the dream of bigger injectors, turbo and tuner way down the line.

I think I'll be more then happy with my xzt, HX35 and some mild injectors! I just want to make sure that if (or when) I get the power bug I'll be with the limits of a dependable setup.

My trans build will include a triple disc TC with a stall 2-300rpm lower then stock. Billet input will be included as well.

So I've learned something over my years of messing with this stupid truck. Buy what you want once to end up where you want to be. I am a huge fan of running larger injectors and scaling them back. And vp trucks should have left the factory with 7x.010s. lol

Forgot part of something. The sxe is an ok turbo. No better than the older ones. I'd suggest a s300g or 62/65/12.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jlbayes said:

So I've learned something over my years of messing with this stupid truck. Buy what you want once to end up where you want to be. I am a huge fan of running larger injectors and scaling them back. And vp trucks should have left the factory with 7x.010s. lol

Forgot part of something. The sxe is an ok turbo. No better than the older ones. I'd suggest a s300g or 62/65/12.

I think that's what I'm essentially trying to do.

My problem is what order should I get everything?? Injectors, box, turbo? box, turbo, injectors? turbo, box, injectors?!

Because my thing is like if I do go with 150s, will that be terrible to run with my hx35 and xzt that I have now? and then cut and paste 150s in with turbo or box and that's what my starting point is.