• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2002 Dodge Transmission issues

First off thanks for the add. Looking at buying a 2002 Dodge. Guy said everything is great but one problem. The owner now said you can cruise pulling a trailer at 70 all day but Rpms are to high at 80-90. I found the Guy who built the truck and said you could run 120 no problem before. Any guesses on what may be causing this? Truck is mildly built with a fully built trans. Below is exactly how the owner now worded it 

I it won't run 80-90 on the highway but I pull the camper 70 all day. It runs too high of rpms in the short.  U can hear it hit overdrive but only drops 250 rpms.   It doesn't burn fuel I get about 18- 19 pulling. 

Witn this being said any ideas? I've searched around and from what I've read it could be a bad solenoid? Would like to have an idea of what it could be before I purchase it. I've always had fords or duramax so want to give this truck a shot. Any help is appreciated, thanks again! 

I would suggest driving the truck yourself before you commit to it. Sounds like you've had a few different trucks before, you should be able to tell if there is anything majorly going on with it. If it has a built tranny, chances are it's been molested in other ways. Personally I would check every inch of the truck before buying it if I liked it. 

Little changes in RPM might be torque converter locking and unlocking. Bring a good multimeter with you and check for AC voltage at alternator. If it has 410 gears that would explain high RPM, but it would be a pulling Mule. I have 355 in mine and seems to work good all around, but I don't generally pull more than 10k. Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I've always been very wary about buying built trucks, they always seem like a mess. He claims it has different gears but he's just going off what a previous owner said. He said it pulls great, said it would pull just about anything. He supposed to send me a video today of the rpms on a straight shot to 70 mph. I'm defitnitely going to look over every inch of the truck and drive it of course, I'm just trying to get as much info as possible gathered up being I live 3.5 hours away from the truck itself. 

• Owner
2 hours ago, Milam_11 said:

He claims it has different gears

Typically these trucks come with 3.55 gears the other option is 4.10 but you won't be pulling at 80-90 MPH at all. Like my truck at 80 MPH is 2,400 RPM with 3.55 gears.

11 hours ago, Milam_11 said:

It doesn't burn fuel I get about 18- 19 pulling. 

Highly doubt that number... He most likely looking at the "Overhead Idiot" which is known to report some really goofy numbers if there is any tuner on the truck. The only way to get number accurate is hand math using a GPS odometer (if any oversize tires are used).

• Like 3

The speed issue depends on what you want, a high geared or low geared truck. The 4:10 will turn more rpm cruising the interstate. Not something I would want but that's my preference. Not sure what he rpm drop should be going into overdrive, but what you describe sounds more like TC lockup like @Dieselfuture mentions. It feels alot like another gear.

• Owner
17 minutes ago, Milam_11 said:

So I should not be worried about that speed issue or the overdrive not dropping more than 250 rpms. 

Sounds about normal for lockup of the torque converter. I think you crossing up the gear change for torque converter lockup. Lockup only drops about 250 RPM's but the actual gear change is rather way different.

Okay so from what I'm understanding it's just geared different possibly? If that's the case I'm perfectly fine with it, I'm not looking for a race truck, looking for something to pull a fifth wheel camper and boat here and there. So I'm really new to dodge transmissions so some of the stuff I may have y'all repeating but I greatly appreciate the help!

Mine turns around 2200 or a little more at 70 (if I remember correctly) but I have slightly taller tires than stock (33s) and 4:10s.    I don't get on the highway much.  If the truck has stock size tires that might be about right.  I hope this helps.

L8tr

D

• Like 1

They are a little bigger than stock I'm 2400-2500rpms at 73-78. It seems to run great, needless to say I bought it. If it's geared higher I'm cool with it, not looking for a race truck just a good truck to pull the camper. May still get it checked out. 

Fresh oil change today, runs great. Used to have an edge comp box on it now it doesn't have anything. Trying to decide between a comp box and a quadzilla. Any help would be great. Not looking to molest my truck, just for pulling purpose and figured it could use something with the amount of fueling it has. Just doesn't seem right to have compound turbos and no tuning at all. 

IMG_2401.JPG

• Like 2