• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

A/C Evaporator & Heater core write up!

• Owner

The red hose is really the high side? Even the haynes manual says its the low, and I remember the guy filling it up using the red hosed port, only. I need gauge proof now :lol:

Ok let trade it up... Now here is gasoline Dodge V8... Look where the blue and red hoses are now... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1058 Now diesel... http://forum.mopar1973man.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1096

Well that doesn't really help me. The haynes manual specifically says put it on the one behind the headlight, and I recall them topping it off with the same port. You say this is the high side port though so now I'm beginning to wonder.

I read a snipit from a thread here about adding freon with stop leak in it..........................VERY VERY VERY BAD IDEA. Would you pour in stop leak into your crankcase to stop an engine oil leak??????????? No, you just created a more expensive repair rather than finding the leak and fixing it. You will most likely trash the compressor and or plug the orifice tube along with the condensor and evaporator, some of the sealers added can be caustic to aluminum also.

• Owner

Goes from the trans hump to the passenger wall. It is rather huge but as long as the dash is hung like shown in my pics the HVAC will slide out under the dah and you'll need to lift the dash ever so slightly in one spot but it comes right out. 2 stud in the cab and 4 stud in the firewall engine side.

• 2 weeks later...

Your a bad influence Mike. Now that mine actually blows air I figured I would clean everything out of the system. I got a peak at it when I took the fan out that one time and it was horrid. Another hour and I think the dash will be completely out. That's right, I'm not doing a halfway out thing because I have to do one better than you :lol:

post-45-138698165583_thumb.jpg

Well I went by this thread. http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-non-powertrain/273830-removing-dashboard-replacing-evaporator-1995-2500-a.html Go to the VERY end, as usual. Spent more time looking for how to do it than doing it :banghead: Anyways I don't think you took yours all the way out, and it really did make it a ton easier having the seats out. You can take all of them out in 5 minutes so it was pretty simple. Tomorrow I will tackle the HVAC unit itself.

post-45-138698165888_thumb.jpg

post-45-138698165895_thumb.jpg

I did it to clean out the A/C part of it but I guess your heater core rubbed off on mine too. Not so sure it will be back together by tonight, though I need it to be :ahhh:I forgot to scroll down all the way last time, did you take the whole dash out to get the HVAC unit out or did you just bend the dash back enough to get to it?

post-45-138698165902_thumb.jpg

post-45-138698165908_thumb.jpg

post-45-138698165914_thumb.jpg

post-45-138698165921_thumb.jpg

post-45-138698165927_thumb.jpg

post-45-138698165933_thumb.jpg

• Owner

I did it to clean out the A/C part of it but I guess your heater core rubbed off on mine too. Not so sure it will be back together by tonight, though I need it to be :ahhh:

I forgot to scroll down all the way last time, did you take the whole dash out to get the HVAC unit out or did you just bend the dash back enough to get to it?

Ummm... Just lift the dash slightly and the HVAC comes right out...

Another reason I didn't bother to pull my dash is my gauge pod plumbing and wiring is wrapped up in the dash. Plus on top of that the dah was heavy as hell... I think more so heavy that early 2nd Gen's...:rolleyes:

Hmm, well I wanted to take everything out just so I knew how to do it the next time :lol: My gauges were wired up in interesting ways anyways so I had no problem ripping the wires out of the dash that fed them. Mine was maybe 50lbs, maybe more, I didn't think it was too bad, just a little bulky. Not sure what you cut your hand on though, I couldn't find any sharp edges lol.