• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Found out the hard way?

Well found out the hard way on my way in to work this morning that when the fuel gauge says 1/4 tank it really means empty?. Never ran it down much past half always keep it topped up but was running late so I figured I'd stop for fuel tonight on my way home. No such luck. I was literally 4 blocks from my shop when it just shut off. Was like what the?? Tried restarting, bumping the key to check if lift pump runs. Check sooo made the embarrassing call to the shop had a tech come with some fuel to get me to the shop. I ain't gonna hear the end of this from my guys for awhile lol.

56 minutes ago, dripley said:

How much fuel did you end up putting in it when you fueled up? Just curious if you were really out of fuel or have a fuel pick up problem. 

Good point.  Ensure you get to the root cause of the issue.  My fuel guage sender went bad on me a few years back in a Suburban (44 gallon tank) and I thought I still had 1/4 tank.  Since then I am all over resetting the trip mileage in every car.  I know about how much mileage I should be getting per tank.  Hasn't really come in hand yet but I feel it will someday.

• Like 2

• Staff
4 hours ago, CumminsTech said:

Oh yeah it was a better spot than most to have it happen. Right at the stop light was a double lane so I was in the right lane. I tell ya though people in this world are terrible. Had the 4 ways on and a guy was behind me honked and I waved him around he pulled up on the driver side gave me the bird and drove off. I was like uhhh ok just smiled and waved back at him. Mean while thinking to my self thanks for giving a pinch of sht guy. I always stop to try and help stranded people was just the way I was brought up. Not too many people do that anymore. Which is sad, but it'll all work out in the end for those who look out for their fellow man/women.

There's a boss somewhere in control ... who says you reap what you sow.... so sounds like this guy with the bird will get wood peckered right where it counts.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Do you still use Factory fuel basket or do you have a draw straw

Still factory set up haven't installed fass yet no darn time I'm always at work or sleeping. 

26 minutes ago, WiscoRedkneck said:

If it's original sender and over 200k I'll put my money on that... mine puked at 211k

A far as I know it's original but only got 125k on the clock but that don't mean nothing I've changed senders on petes at work with less than 50k that have crapped the bed

The 1/4 tank issue I was referring to would normally be caused by a after market fuel system or at least a pick tube like a draw straw that was installed improperly. When you fill it up you will know better. Maybe you have one and dont know it.

Is it time to go home yet!!??? I want to fuel up to find out for sure. Got 3 more hours till I close this place up. Slowest day of my life. Hahaha I'm impatient today. That and I'm working on out of frame overhauling a C15 cat my least favorite engines to work on? 

• Like 1

i lifted my tank off the ground when i measured and cut for my draw straw. My straw is barely a quarter's depth from the bottom of the tank, and i also cut some squares into my straw as well. After some time and fear i also bent my sending unit a bit so that 1/8's a tank is about 28 gallons. which leaves me about 2.5 inches in the tank, so far I've yet to have issues on hills, but i fill up at 1/4 tank anyways which is a but less then 24 gallons.

hope it helps, but either way, best to replace your sender.