• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Update: I have vacuum at the tranny, but no vacuum  at the CAD. There must be some type of vacuum switch in the tranny that is preventing the vacuum to go to the CAD. There is a vacuum connector that connects the hose from the fire wall (gray), to the cad (red and black), and a green one. I don't know where the green one goes to. Is my next step tranny removal to fix the problem?

nomore,

here is a picture i posted in another thread.  Yes the there is a three way switch on the transfer case.  It senses the location of your transfer case lever.  It provides vacuum to the red or the black based on if you have selected a 4wd mode or not.  If it is original, red is 2wd and black is 4wd.  (red pulls the CAD vacuum motor to disconnect the coupling.   Black pulls the vacuum motor to engage the axle coupling. 

Here is a video of a guy checking his out.   I did not watch it all but it seems ok.  he never shows the actual switch.  that goes bad rarely.  you can easily disconnect the vacuum plug from the switch from below and test each of the vacuum tubes.

Our switch, unlike the GM verson has 4 tubes connected.  (GM only uses 3)  our 4 are  White=vacuum source, Green= Vent to atmosphere (to change directions of the vacuum motor, you must exhaust (let the side under vacuum return to atmospheric pressure) , Red = 2wd by disconnecting the axle coupling if the vacuum motor is actuated in that direction, Black = 4wd by moving the vacuum motor and coupling to engaged the shafts.

Vacuum Lines.jpg

• Like 1

Nomore,

IIRC, there is a detent ball at the bottom of the new switch you got.  That detent ball rides on a shaft in the TC.  The shaft has flats and round to actuate it when it is in the proper position.  (I cant remember if it is the mode shaft or the range, but think it is the mode.)

Take the vacuum switch back out and manually operate it with your hand. (push the little ball in) and see if it directs the vacuum properly. 

I found another drawing that might help you with which vacuum line goes where  (note, I have not verified this, but seems like how I remember it.)    Looking at the switch from the "top" (vacuum side) down.  The vent goes between the arrows.

I just found another picture from a jeep forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/vacuum-issue-in-4wd-system-with-light-1677905.html)

notice for his he has reversed the vacuum and vent ports.  but that does not matter as long as you swap the "outputs"  .

Hope this helps

vac.jpg

vacuum port designations.jpeg

After replacing the vacuum line connectors, went thru and made sure I didn't cross the red and black lines somewhere. Didn't. Checked for vacuum at the switch, good. Checked vacuum at the first connection at the tranny cross member. Good. Checked at the CAD connection. Red good, black bad. Pulled the metal tubes from the frame, looked to see if it was crushed. Nope. Tried blowing thru it. Nothing. Applied air pressure to clean it out. Connected everything back up, put it into 4wd High and all of the wheels rotate. FIXED! The dash indicator doesn't come on, I can live with that. That must be the indicator switch. I was surprised that the metal tube had actually clogged. Thanks for the help everyone.

• Like 3