• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Hey guys, about to put in my blue-top box I got and wanted to make sure I was thinking this through correctly. The following sound ok?

1. To flush out the old lines I plan on having the old box off, and just running fresh power steering fluid through the reservoir for a 1/2-full quart.

2. Once everything back together I plan on putting fluid in reservoir until 3/4 full, starting truck and first, pumping brakes, then checking fluid, add as neccessary, then turning wheels full lock one way, checking fluid, full lock the other way, then checking fluid.

That sound about right for doing this?

Well... you could disconnect the hydroboost lines as well.  I didnt.

You also will likely have a bit more time turning the wheels too and fro then topping off the reservoir than you expect.  Priming took me a while.

Got it

So I have the old pump off, just poured fresh fluid in reservoir. Didn't get much out of the lines so I'm calling that good.

All you did to prime was pump brakes and turn the wheels while adding fluid? 

• Staff

The pump pushes the fluid through really fast so on an empty system just starting and stopping the engine in a couple of seconds will empty the P/S pump reservoir. do this a few times until the reservoir stays full.  Also there will be a lot of air entrained in the system and may take a day or two to purge it all and the steering may fell jerky until then. 

Thanks IBM,

I did turn the engine on for a second or two twice just because the first time i expected a lot more fluid to come out. Second time had similar results so I just left it. I did suction out the reservoir prior to opening the lines to the box just to lower the amount of fluid draining. I then poured more back into the reservoir and that's when i turned the engine on expecting a lot of fluid to end up in my container and not much was there. So I called it good and buttoned everything back up. In the process of getting as much purged now as I can.

Well finally finished! Ugh! It kicked my butt I must admit. I've never done one before so I went it a little over confident. A lot easier getting the old pump off then it is putting the new one on. When I started the truck for the first time after getting everything put back together I couldn't even budge the wheels even with them on old baking sheets. So stupid me thought, "oh if I just get it moving, I'll be able to turn the wheel!" *in Trump voice* WRONG!

Needless to say, brakes obviously didn't work so I rolled down my driveway, luckily not hitting anything. By that point I had no choice but to go around the block. Worst 3 minute drive ever!! It was like someone was actually trying to keep me from steering the thing! Well left with a full reservoir and returned with an empty one.

I got a little smarter and put the truck on jacks and kept the truck running pumping the brakes and turning the wheels. That made pretty quick work of things and it kept the reservoir full after just one cycle. Test drive proved IBM correct, the pump was making some noise, but checked levels once I got back and all was fine. I over filled for now assuming it'll need it, but I'll keep a close eye on things the next few days and I'm carrying a funnel and PS fluid just in case.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Oh yea, truck steering AMAZING now, about as good as my 2wd with stock tires and I'm on 315's right now!

• Like 1