• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 5.9 dies p1698

Have fass 150gph

Newer vp44

New batteries

I was on my way to work. I went to pass and lost pedal... No power.

It will idle but if i gas it it dies...

I tried resetting the apps... Im not sure if it worked...i left batteries disconnected over night would drive ok for a mile or 2 then sputter again...

Overhead counsel says no ccd...sometimes it would work properly...

I have a new apps sensor to put on...

I woke up with a 103 degree temperature so working on it now is out for now...

Thanks guys

I have an obd 2 scanner and multimeter

Edited by Odin667
Missed stuff

• Owner

First read over the article understand the issue.

1 hour ago, Odin667 said:

Overhead counsel says no ccd

This is your PCM causing issues on the CCD Network. If the CCD network fails then the communication between all the computers fail. So PCM and ECM can't talk to each other. Being the PCM is the primary computer and the ECM is secondary it's very important to get the PCM working again. 

1 hour ago, Odin667 said:

have a new apps sensor to put on..

I wouldn't of wasting the money on the APPS sensor it's not the cause. 

• Like 1

I read that. Im not sure if my scanner will do BUS OPERATIONAL test...its an older innova... It says no ccd to tcm if that makes a difference?

the apps sensor was only 15$ 

I dont like throwing money at things to fix the real problem...

The vp44 is tapped for an edge comp.

have larger injectors that were installed last year.

I read that. Im not sure if my scanner will do BUS OPERATIONAL test...its an older innova... It says no ccd to tcm if that makes a difference?

the apps sensor was only 15$ 

I dont like throwing money at things to fix the real problem...

The vp44 is tapped for an edge comp.

have larger injectors that were installed last year. Where can i get a DRBIII(R) scan tool or is it the same as a obd2 scanner...please forgive me if i sound stupid i have a 102 temp...

Transmission has been gone through, rebuilt.shift kit, torque convertors larger capacity cover ect... 

Transmission has been gone through, rebuilt.shift kit, torque convertors larger capacity cover ect... Am i out of luck without one of those scanners? I plan to pull pig tails add dielectric grease. Check grounds. 

• Owner

15 dollar apps sensor is risky. Most likely going have issues fairly quick.

Basically the CCD network has issues. Shorted to ground, shorted to 5V or 12V which you can test for using the wiring diagrams and a DVM. You can isolate the CCD network by unplugging all the other modules.

• Like 1

Could my bd rad speed eliminator be a possibility? When i flip it on all guages stop but the speed... Flip it back on i get check engine light with the p1698 code... I havent used it because the truck isnt raced anymore...

http://www.xtremediesel.com/bd-powerramspeedeliminatorwradtech.aspx

Im not depending on the 15$ apps just wanted to see if it made a didifference...truck stumbling and dying is totally new.... If i use the bd rad it would throw a code and cycle off after a few drives with the bd off...

Edited by Odin667

• Owner
On 5/2/2017 at 6:18 PM, Odin667 said:

Could my bd rad speed eliminator be a possibility? When i flip it on all guages stop but the speed... Flip it back on i get check engine light with the p1698 code... I havent used it because the truck isnt raced anymore...

Remove the box all together and see if the problem goes away.

On 5/2/2017 at 6:18 PM, Odin667 said:

If i use the bd rad it would throw a code and cycle off after a few drives with the bd off...

Ummm... No. The error code will remain for 40 warm-up cycles. The ECM and PCM have to complete 40 warm up cycles before they will delete any codes. A warm up cycle is starting with a engine temp below 140*F and warming up past 160*F without tripping the code again for 40 times.

I have a $16 APPS in my glove box. Every time I have had it on my truck it generates a 222 code. If your cheap one is on there that could be the source of the 222. The others are a little beyond me. Go to the articles section and the codes are listed there.

I tried to calibrate the apps... The torques bolt is stuck... I dont want to break it or strip it. Any new apps will throw a code if it is not calibrated..Any tricks moparman1973 to get it unstuck? 

Timbo apps will not throw a code. I dont know how many times I have had the batteries disconnected and forgot to reset mine. It has never set a code. Maybe the oe would but the timbo will not. The cheap apps I bought always throws a 222 code. Clear it and it comes back instantaneously 

You might try a little heat on the screw to loosen the lock tite on it.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

I was having the same issue with my fummins swap with no CCD message. Mine was resolved by pulling the black and white junction blocks inside the power distribution center and cleaning all the contacts.  They get pretty green and sometimes the corrosion bridges the jumpers to other jumpers and the CCD bus goes down. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2017 at 1:40 PM, Odin667 said:

Checked codes under different setting heres what came up.

P1765

P1694

P1693

P0222

It has been a long time since I checked codes after using a rad box but the 93 & 94 are caused by it iirc. The 1765 if from having a jumper wire in place of the trans relay.

• Like 1

Cleaned and dielectric greased all plug contacts and grounds. The only code i have now is the p0222 code...Im thinking that im getting alternator noise and its killing apps... Will be checking this next... 

I adjusted the apps to with in specs. .61 and 3.93 open throttle. Took it for a ride it had throttle response like never before..  Then died again... My oil puke bottle was full and was spraying oil all over.. The alternator is covered...cleaned alternator plug and greased it... Could oil have gotten into wires causing interference?

Thats what i thought.... My thought was if it would be like getting water ob electronics...causes problems...I cleaned the connection to alternator..Have a short someplace.. Or apps is garbage or both? If i remember correctly alternator was putting out 14.6... Batterys are at 12.7 one new one semi new but load tested ok... If i do an apps reset it will run great for an hour or so and then go haywire again...

How dirty are the tops of your batteries? I have been experiencing some surging issues for the past while and was reading voltage across the tops of them. I cleaned them up and no more surging. For couple months so far. Also it seemed every time i had the batteries disconnected for what ever reason the surging would stop for a couple days or couple weeks. Not sure whats going on but cleaning the battery tops helped immensely.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dripley said:

How dirty are the tops of your batteries? I have been experiencing some surging issues for the past while and was reading voltage across the tops of them. I cleaned them up and no more surging. For couple months so far. Also it seemed every time i had the batteries disconnected for what ever reason the surging would stop for a couple days or couple weeks. Not sure whats going on but cleaning the battery tops helped immensely.

One battery is new the other farley new...I'll double check...The problem did start shortly after i installed a new battery.hmmm.. I wish it was just surging... Gets a dead pedal and dies..Give it throttle under the hood it dies. Getting an oem apps sensor soon...I'm hoping it works...Not sure i will get to work on it this weekend because of mothers day festivities...

How is your fuel pressure?

The OE usually comes with the bell crank assembly and cost a fortune. A timbo apps is a much better replacement and only about $170 IIRC. I think your problem lies elsewhere, How does it work with the cheap one you mentioned earlier?

Not sure of the fuel pressure... Haven't went down that rabbit hole yet... Has a newer hot rod vp44... when i first put the el cheapo apps sensor on and calibrated it the truck ran great. Throttle response was great. Only have the one p0222 tps code now. And throttle issue is back...Not sure what brand i got its not a cheapo like the last...the ccd is still on the overhead but im not sure if its on because my mirror fell off...

20170509_124144.jpg

Next to a new power wagon... Both on 35s

Im sick of driving my vw diesel i havent had to by diesel in 2 weeks... I want the beast back in action...