• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Problem Exporting Logs

kzimmer

OK, Here is what I've found. The location of the export file will depend on the Android version. The call that is used is the File.createTempFile built into the Android OS. The temp folder moves depending on the version. A typical location for the file is /data/local/tmp/

If you have the ability, you can create a small app that all it does is create a small temporary file using the same call. Maybe it will help you identify what needs to change in the OS build or with our app. If you figure it out, let me know and I will get the change in the next version of the app as long as it doesn't break something else. 

As far as the differences between Android 5 and the Android 4.4.4, Android 5 does have special permission stuff, but since the app was compiled and targetting an SDK previous to the Android 5, you shouldn't have to worry about those permissions. However, I'm not 100% about that. 

• 1 month later...

So where did this all ended, kinda curious. 

Is there a particular device that will work flawlessly with quad, I'll get one if I have to, or all devices have glitches. Not sure who developed it if it was aimed at particular device. 

Edited by Dieselfuture

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 6:11 AM, Dieselfuture said:

So where did this all ended, kinda curious. 

Is there a particular device that will work flawlessly with quad, I'll get one if I have to, or all devices have glitches. Not sure who developed it if it was aimed at particular device. 

I haven't had much time to play, busy summer. All I can say for sure is my samsung smart phones work great, and my android head unit does not.

-Kole

On 12/07/2017 at 8:03 AM, Quadzilla Power said:

OK, Here is what I've found. The location of the export file will depend on the Android version. The call that is used is the File.createTempFile built into the Android OS. The temp folder moves depending on the version. A typical location for the file is /data/local/tmp/

If you have the ability, you can create a small app that all it does is create a small temporary file using the same call. Maybe it will help you identify what needs to change in the OS build or with our app. If you figure it out, let me know and I will get the change in the next version of the app as long as it doesn't break something else. 

As far as the differences between Android 5 and the Android 4.4.4, Android 5 does have special permission stuff, but since the app was compiled and targetting an SDK previous to the Android 5, you shouldn't have to worry about those permissions. However, I'm not 100% about that. 

@Quadzilla Power

I spent about 5 hours on this today and i'm frustrated.

Are you sure it's File.createTempFile ? I tore apart the APK today and couldn't find any reference to this.

I noticed today that I can't export tunes either. Same thing, "Export Failed". Does that give any clues? I can import fine. I thought I remembered exporting working, but I guess not.

I also tried modifying AndroidManifest.xml and adding every permission under the sun. No dice.

My head hurts. The only cure for this is being able to back up my tunes and do some data logging. And more cowbell.

I did listen to that song today and did find a disturbing lack of cowbell. I could have sworn it was more prominent in there. 

Regarding the createTempFile call, Here is the exact call: 

File file = File.createTempFile(filename, ".json", this.getExternalCacheDir());

This is the call for the "export tune" call. I think you are probably getting an error on the getExternalCacheDir() call. It is built in to the API for Android and should be used with Android 4.2 or higher. 

It appears that no permissions are required starting in Android 4.4 (KitKat) to use files in the directory. 

I do have a request out to the developer to see if an external SD card is required, but it doesn't look like it is. 

8 minutes ago, Quadzilla Power said:

I do have a request out to the developer to see if an external SD card is required, but it doesn't look like it is. 

That reminds me, I should put my SD card back in.

One other thing, this particular OS is kind of strange. There are at least two internal "drives" in the unit. Maybe even 3, I need to double check. I wonder if it's trying to put the files inside a directory of one of the drives that are reserved for OS or OEM use.

I wish I could follow along to debug somehow and see what's hanging.

50 minutes ago, Quadzilla Power said:

I'm seeing if I can build a version for you that doesn't use the external memory call and just uses the getCacheDir() call instead of the getExternalCacheDir() call. 

Try it with the SD card as well to see if that fixes it. 

Nice! I would be extremely grateful.

3 minutes ago, Quadzilla Power said:

well, I tried and got a permission denied error. I am looking to see if I can fix it real quick or if I need to get the developer involved. 

I wonder if changing that call would require access to the mediarw permission group?

There is nothing that I've found that says any special permissions are required. However, the total size of the "cache" section would need to increase to account for the data-log. The exported custom tunes are less than 1 kB so they shouldn't really  require anything extra. 

OK, I did a special build for you that doesn't use the createTempFile file call and instead creates a normal file in the "external" directory. Basically, all the external means is that it isn't hidden and you should be able to navigate to the file. 

Try this file: 

http://quadzillatech.com/TunesDownloads/AndroidApp/IQUAD_ANDROID_app-release(SPECIAL-BETA).apk

Like I said before, this is a special one-off build. If you get a warning saying failed to export or something else, tell me what it says. It may help identify what's going on. 

The files were created for me in the following directory: 

Internal Storage>Android>data>com.quadzillapower.iQuad>files

I tried it on two different devices and they were created in the same area. 

4 hours ago, Quadzilla Power said:

There is nothing that I've found that says any special permissions are required. However, the total size of the "cache" section would need to increase to account for the data-log. The exported custom tunes are less than 1 kB so they shouldn't really  require anything extra. 

OK, I did a special build for you that doesn't use the createTempFile file call and instead creates a normal file in the "external" directory. Basically, all the external means is that it isn't hidden and you should be able to navigate to the file. 

Try this file: 

http://quadzillatech.com/TunesDownloads/AndroidApp/IQUAD_ANDROID_app-release(SPECIAL-BETA).apk

Like I said before, this is a special one-off build. If you get a warning saying failed to export or something else, tell me what it says. It may help identify what's going on. 

The files were created for me in the following directory: 

Internal Storage>Android>data>com.quadzillapower.iQuad>files

I tried it on two different devices and they were created in the same area. 

Awesome, thank you for doing this. Much appreciated. After work today I'm tackling Tappet cover gasket, front crank seal, front cover gasket, vacuum pump seal, and VP44 Oring. Will be nice to keep some of the oil in the crank case. If I finish all that tonight (wishful thinking) I will try this out tomorrow after work, and I'll keep you posted.

-Kole

@Quadzilla Power

I gave that APK a shot. Same problem. I also tried installing the app on the external SD card with no change. I wish I had a way to tell exactly what was holding it up, other than just getting the "Failed to Export" message. I wonder if an app exists to debug and step through code of another app?

5 hours ago, Quadzilla Power said:

Was there no other message regardging the state of the drive? It might have said something like:
"Cannot Use External Storage: xxxx" where xxxx is the reason it can't? 

Negative, all i see is the grey popup message "Failed to Export" on both Data Logging Export and Custom Tune Export.

• 1 month later...

Ok I’ve been checking the iquad out for a very short period, import and export, what exactly are you importing and exporting? I have my truck basically for towing only with injectors and lift pump so really just looking for some power gain. Reason I’m after the iquad is if someone had a good tune it’s not hard to copy then tweak.