• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

8 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Vulcan Performance sells industrial injection and DAP sells both industrial injection and midwest injection. Both rebuilders are certified Bosch rebuilders. 

DAP Also has EXCELLENT customer service. Heard people using BlueChip as well but have seen mixed reviews

just bear in mind that most of these folks will only give you core credit for the same type of pump. by that I mean if you have and SO pump they need an SO in exchange. What tranny do you have in yours? 6 speed would be an HO, 5 speed and autos have an SO pump. DAP and Vulcan will help you work that out.

• Like 1

• Owner
53 minutes ago, Cronus577 said:

Heard people using BlueChip as well but have seen mixed reviews

Just remember Blue Chip is NOT on my list of Certified VP44 rebuilders. They do not have a Bosch 815 test stand either to test pumps or flash PSG's so this is why the sell pumps with USED PSG units.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

32 minutes ago, dripley said:

just bear in mind that most of these folks will only give you core credit for the same type of pump. by that I mean if you have and SO pump they need an SO in exchange. What tranny do you have in yours? 6 speed would be an HO, 5 speed and autos have an SO pump. DAP and Vulcan will help you work that out.

Be careful, the early 2nd gens with a 6 speed also had a SO pump.  I replaced my VP44 last year and it had an SO pump. 

• Like 2

When I was ordering mine I called DAP and they tried to push me to a HO pump, but I was certain that my engine was an HO.  I went against their recommendation and ordered the SO pump and sure enough that there was an SO VP44 installed.  I was worried I would bet stuck with the wrong pump and that I would eat the core charge.  I went out the data plate on the timing case.  If @portlandareae28 filled out his signature we could better steer him in the correct direction. 

I will work on my signature tonight from home, my truck is an '01 6speed (edge comp, exhaust, nothing crazy).  I ordered an HO pump from DAP today, they were great to work with.  I now want to deal with the fuel pressure gauge before the install.  I have a fass DRP02 which I hear running when I bump the key, but want to be sure I have good pressure, no sense in putting a new VP in if I don't.  On my old 7.3 I had a gauge under the hood on my regulator and while I know that won't help me when I am driving if there is a way to put an inexpenisve gauge somewhere under the hood to start I would be all about that.  Than I will want to upgrade to something in the cab, suggestions on that?  Thank you guys for the help so far, I dig this forum already!!

You're basically in the same boat with gauges are you were with your VP. Get ahold of Vulcan or DAP and they'll get you going with either setup. You could get a mechanical gauge from Vulcan and just plum into the fuel lines (via a big line kit or something similar if you don't already have one) or get a fitting that you can tee into right at the inlet of the VP44 (not recommended due to water hammer).

I'd honestly suggest just getting the in cab gauge now as I highly suspect that with the comp/drp combo, you're already running at sub-optimal pressures, but just a hunch. So keep that in mind when it comes to installing the new VP that a better lift pump might be in your near future as well.

It definitely sucks getting all these things at once, but once that's done you're set!

I spoke to Fred again at DAP, going to have the in cab electronic gauge sent with the VP removal tool tomorrow.  I think I may leave the comp unhooked for a little while (voids the VP warranty anyway) I did a draw straw and built the fuel system in my 7.3.  What am I up against here with the fuel system.  Do guys build their own or just get the Fass or Airdog, etc setups?

Edited by portlandareae28
failed to proof read the first time

• Owner
1 hour ago, portlandareae28 said:

What am I up against here with the fuel system.  Do guys build their own or just get the Fass or Airdog, etc setups?

Typically we buy an AirDog or FASS fuel systems. Like myself, I've got a 11-year-old AirDog 150 and still working just fine. I was lucky and got one of the older Airdog pumps that were built the right way.

1 hour ago, portlandareae28 said:

I think I may leave the comp unhooked for a little while (voids the VP warranty anyway)

You can run the CanBus connector but not the wire tap. I'm doing the same thing with my Quadzilla right now no wire tap but still running the CanBus.

• Like 1

Pump, and gauge should arrive Thursday.  Hopefully can button it all up this weekend.  I also have to change the front bumper plastics (upper and lower).  The truck is a dually on 35's and is wearing the outer tread of the front tires something fierce.  Its leveled with a block (not how I would have done it, I will likely order a longer spring and probably end run 33's on it long term)  is there anything common to the dodge front end for outer edge tire wear?

Sounds more like an alignment issue to me. I've never heard of any 'dodge related' issues causing that sort of wear. Having any sort of lift without an adjustable track bar will create a bit of wonkiness, but I wouldn't think you'd see those wear characteristics just from that. 

Maybe someone with more experience with this will chime in!