• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help! No Voltage tag on TPS.

do you have a live data tool to read TPS?    Since you have already pulled it off, all you can really do is put it back on and adjust until you get 0 % tps at idle. 

Where you trying to solve an issue? 

• Like 1

All I have is a voltage meter? Am I stuck buying a new one? 

Tons of forums out there. Figure I'd try to get truck to run perfect. I've never owned a cummins before. I have a smarty S02. It seems to help a bit but nothing crazy. I use truck for work so I don't need tons of power. I just want the truck to run good and efficient. I don't pull a trailer. I've done exhaust, intake, HX35 turbo and smarty tuner. Just seems as if my mileage isn't good and... when I'm on the throttle a bit then let off it seems to accelerate slightly split second before off the throttle. 

there is a lot of stuff out there on the forums that try to suggest trying to fix something that isn't broken.   

What do you consider not good mpg? 

What mods do you have? Lift? tires? gears?   What speed do you typically drive? 

You can try slapping it back on and adjust until the ovltage is less than .45v but it will be a crap shoot as to it working or not. 

What settings do you run the smarty on?  I have done a far bit of datalogging and I am really not a huge fan of the S03 smarty, sw3 was really the only level that worked well in my mind.  Depending on driving style higher levels would cause pretty poor mpg if you drive spiritied

Edited by Me78569

Ok, 4" exhaust, intake, hx35 turbo (auto tranny), smarty tuner, 3:73 gears, 285/75r16 tires. No lift. Highway is prob 14-15L/100km (Canada). I carry a bit of tools and have a snowmobile deck on. Max weight in bed is approx 1000lbs. I bought truck used with 300,000km. It has a reman Bosch inj pump with a fass drp lift pump (replaced before I bought truck). I'm concerned injectors, or lift pump, or inj pump going. Oh and it's on stock tranny which slips slightly. I know it will need to be replaced soon enough. Thank for the help. 

are you sure your gears are 3.73?  that would be very strange unless someone did a gear swap. 

Honestly with a snowmobile on deck and 1000 lb 15/16 mpg ( 14l /100k) isn't bad.    Bigger tires is not helping, slipping trans is also not helping.  

Any codes? or any real reason to be worried about your injectors / pump etc?  The vp44 is really a lot tougher than most give credit for, our injectors are good to beyond 300,000 k on average. 

I would suggest you unload the smarty until you get the trans sorted.  Depending on how you have the smarty setup it can and will go right to full fueling right offidle, which is VERY tough on a trans and also very poor for mpg.  

• Owner

Stock APPS sensor is safe at 0.4 to 0.5 volts.

Timbo APPS doesn't have a voltage setting it completely mechanical.

Wells APPS is safe at 0.5 to 0.6 volts.

The voltage adjustment is not for anything else but the idle validation switches. This has zero to do with transmission shifting, or lock up. 

apps-sensor.jpg.315e1c64a4baf8d04f999536

Edited by Mopar1973Man

So the instructions I've followed in he past to see the voltage read by the APPS is to put a paper clip in pin #3 (green wire) and that will allow you to read the real time voltage, which the adjuster screw will change as you turn it. .65 volts at idle sounds right to me, but that is for a Timbo APPS, which may have a different idle voltage from an OEM one