• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stainless steel screws in fuel basket, is it OK

Scored a fuel tank yesterday, and in process of correcting 1/4 tank issues.  Is it alright to use stainless metal bolts and a nylox nut to keep basket in position.   My corrugated draw straw is the thing only providing tension between bottom of basket and top.  I’m extending draw straw, so no longer will draw straw provide spring tension.  I'm thinking the basket needs something to keep draw straw sucking near bottom of tank. I don’t know if stainless steel or nylox is OK to use in fuel system... or should I use some type of glue? 

What is OK to use in fuel system?

Thanks

Edited by 015point9

• Owner

Typically there is a spring that holds the lower half of the basket down in the tank bottom. I would consider going to a drawstraw or something else if the basket is damaged. You only going to fight that problem over and over. You could order the Jeep basket from Vulcan Performance.

• Like 1

X2 on what Mike says. The basket should springs to keep the bottom of the basket on the bottom of the tank. The corrugations in the straw allow it to flex and follow the basket down.

This is my in tank pump basket before I removed the pump. Notice the springs at the back, they keep the basket on the bottom of the tank and the fuel line flexes as it moves up and down.

This basket is very close to the Liberty model that Vudlcan sells and @Mopar1973Man mentions. Possibly the only good thing that came out of Dodge installing it when my oe lift pump died.  

post-10340-138698183186_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• Staff

Stainless screws are what you want to use if you need them. On my old 92 first gen I replaced the main body of my fuel basket using a 4 inch ABS straight coupling and stainless hardware. Part of the fuel basket was made of metal (part connected to the lid/ cap and moved up and down like a pipe sleeve) and rotted off so I replaced the mid section with the straight coupling. Fit right on there with about 8 screws around it to hold it together. It had no spring when done but after 12 years that way it was still fine when I sold it 6 wks ago.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1