• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Been skunked...

• Owner

Tuesday's run to Boise for @MoparMom I was following another vehicle which slowed down quickly and steered clear of a wandering skunk. I had little choices for avoiding the skunk. So I mashed on the brakes and come to complete stop so I didn't crush the little fella. Sad to say he sprayed the entire front of the truck with his scent. I've learned that the scent is a oil based material and very powerful smell. As for where I was sprayed across the front bumper and grill as well as under the truck in the engine area. Now the purple degreaser works awesome for cleaning that stuff off the chrome and grill just rinses right off with a power washer and the degreaser. I did do some reading that if the spray gets on the paint you might have to repaint the vehicle because the scent/spray will actually penetrate all the way to the metal. 

https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2014/09/05/mystery-behind-skunk-ruined-new-car/

To chemically neutralize the smell use a mixture of

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

1-2 teaspoons of dish soap

This was tested on myth busters and was confirmed to work.

Edited by bcbigfoot

• Owner
9 hours ago, bcbigfoot said:

To chemically neutralize the smell use a mixture of

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda

1-2 teaspoons of dish soap

This was tested on myth busters and was confirmed to work.

This is fine but now attempt to get that mixture spray the same way the skunk did from the highway across my bumper, grill, radiator, coolers, front of the engine, etc. Might be a bit fun try to spray baking soda solution through a spray bottle. 

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

This is fine but now attempt to get that mixture spray the same way the skunk did from the highway across my bumper, grill, radiator, coolers, front of the engine, etc. Might be a bit fun try to spray baking soda solution through a spray bottle. 

Could maybe try a weed sprayer or something like that ,  or a bucket and sponge and rubber/latex gloves?