• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

After driving around my 1/2 ton for so long, the dodge brakes just don't compare. Has anyone tried a more aggressive pad? Just got my truck back from the shop, brake system is fine, system was flushed and bled. I ran EBC greenstuff when I first got the truck, they grabbed great unloaded, once hot and loaded with weight, those ceramics wouldn't hold. Now I have NAPA semi metallic, they work but I want more. Not worried about burning up my front rotors as long as my truck stops better.

Exhaust brake is out of the question and my 16" rims and tires have plenty of life so 3rd gen brake upgrade is out too. Looking at performance frictions

• Owner
12 hours ago, CTcummins24V said:

Exhaust brake is out of the question

That was my suggestion being I can pull down so hard through the gear on the exhaust brake to get the rear tire hopping. Nothing like a manual transmission going down through the gear on an exhaust brake and never touching the service brake pedal. 

12 hours ago, CTcummins24V said:

16" rims and tires have plenty of life so 3rd gen brake upgrade is out too.

You also blocked the other option. 3rd Gen caliper and rotors are supposed to be a good upgrade. 

So looking for performance pads all I can say is you going to have to hunt till you find something. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Ohh figures, worth a try. I was hoping someone might have tried NAPA severe duty or performance frictions or something like that. My cousin has power stop z36s on his f250, carbon fiber infused ceramic?? We installed them and they were aggressive empty, but he hasn't towed with them yet, jurys not out. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2017 at 9:58 AM, CTcummins24V said:

Ohh figures, worth a try. I was hoping someone might have tried NAPA severe duty or performance frictions or something like that. My cousin has power stop z36s on his f250, carbon fiber infused ceramic?? We installed them and they were aggressive empty, but he hasn't towed with them yet, jurys not out. 

I have Napa severe duty no complaints but I will be doing a complete axle swap since everything about my 99 front end sucks (C.A.D system suspension and bolt on rotors) perfect example my 94 2500 Chevrolet with a front end that weighs half of what my Dodge is uses the same size brake pads on the front...  I have modified the rear brakes and have stainless high flow lines on the front, with my 285's and my setup right now in a full panic stop situation I will skip/hop the backend unloaded and if I'm loaded that same stop will warp the front rotors almost every time.  So IMHO no caliper and rotor upgrade means no real gains from high heat/friction pads.  

I recently put in Hawk pads I got from Geno's. They have noticeably better braking when empty but haven't towed with them yet, will here in a month or so, so I can report back then. Probably wouldn't of even put new pads and rotors on if I knew I would've come across 4th gen wheels but I'll hang onto these for a bit.